Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras - A confession at long last?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras - A confession at long last?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock wrote:
So do you think “certain groups like this one” perpetrate myths about the role of safety cameras?
Not perpetrate, but certainly perpetuate the claim that a principal purpose of Speed Cameras is to generate revenue.
Hemlock wrote:
I say again, nowhere in the article is ‘safety’ the overriding positive feature that is promoted.Only the money generated seems to be the dominant element in this saga.
Yes, that is the thrust of that one article.
Hemlock wrote:
I rest my case.
Bye.
Tony
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgold wrote:
Not perpetrate, but certainly perpetuate the claim that a principal purpose of Speed Cameras is to generate revenue. Bye.
Tony

Bye!
M.
Dusty321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckets of money, now there's a suprise.......

Ladyman would argue its all about saftey Rolling Eyes
snoopboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heres my view....

First of all everyone knows where their local speed cameras are, I have one near me on a long straight strech of dual carriage-way. which was always a race track. Now all that happens is everyone races up to the camera slams on down to usually about 60mph (speed limit is 70) then takes off to try and make the lights which have just come into view. NOT GOOD

Second when you are lost/reading map/generally not concentrating is when you are most likely to get caught adding a sour note to your holiday/hard days work. NOT GOOD

Finally there is a school near me where kids were like skittles and some sadly even paid the ultimate price..speed camera insitu now for 18 months KSI's (Killed or Serious Injuries) ZERO...

Result...although we may not like them, they do, when positioned correctly, save lives!
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one around here has had more accidents due to the camera than existed before it.

It's a wide straight road.. limit is 30 though as it's in a built-up area. Of course a large percentage do 40 & slam their brakes on as they approach the speed camera.

A certain number each month get rear-ended as a result..

Now that camera was presumably there to watch the pedestrian crossing, as a number of people had been killed by people ignoring the lights and tearing across it without looking. The problem with that is it's in the wrong place, so the cars are still doing 40 by the time they hit the crossing.. they don't brake until afterwards.

If it was all about 'safety' they'd be sponsoring driver education and teaching people about anticipation and how to judge a safe speed, not coming up with slower and slower limits. Limits don't solve the underlying problem - that there are a plenty of numpties out there who shouldn't be behind a wheel. Slowing them down just makes them less likely to kill someone when they crash.. it doesn't stop them crashing.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Cameras and Accidents Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, they do cause accidents. We have two, near us, actually installed AFTER the built up area ie going out of the built up area!!!. WE have had at lease three 'back end' accidents since on near a corner was installed. I personnaly rammed one chap, he was doing 32mph in a 40 zone, when he saw the camera he slpped on his brakes and slowed down to 27mph!!!.

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopboy wrote:
Finally there is a school near me where kids were like skittles and some sadly even paid the ultimate price..speed camera insitu now for 18 months KSI's (Killed or Serious Injuries) ZERO...

Result...although we may not like them, they do, when positioned correctly, save lives!

Really? How many pedestrians were killed at the site over the past 10 years before the speed camera went up? Don't tell me, let me guess. There was a spate of KSI's at the site (far above the average for the past decade) and then they put a camera up. Then, as if by magic, the number of KSI's went back down to normal after the camera was erected (regression to the mean) and the camera is hailed as a great success.

If speed cameras save lives, then how come we have almost 4,000 fixed speed cameras in the UK and yet the number of people killed per year has stayed roughly the same? Did these cameras make their sites safer by simultaneously make everywhere else more dangerous? Or perhaps the "speed cameras save lives" is just a load of dodgy statistics fiddling.

OK, you did qualify your statement with "correctly sited" but if cameras aren't saving lives then vast majority of cameras must be incorrectly sited...

And finally, what would you rather see outside a school, a speed camera or a lollypop lady? Let me give you a hint, one of these COSTS money and one of these EARNS money. Which one do you think we will get?
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
The one around here has had more accidents due to the camera than existed before it.

It's a wide straight road.. limit is 30 though as it's in a built-up area. Of course a large percentage do 40 & slam their brakes on as they approach the speed camera.

A certain number each month get rear-ended as a result.
If one takes the position that the cameras are intended only to reduce morbidity and mortality and not to reduce bent metalwork then your anecdote may not be evidence of an inappropriate outcome.
Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: