Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520 takes ages to get a sat lock
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520 takes ages to get a sat lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeningr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: 520 takes ages to get a sat lock Reply with quote

Has anyone else experienced the problem in getting a sat lock after you've been in a multistory car park...

Thanks
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum.

No not specifically but have found that rebooting the device after a long tunnel or through high buildings is necessary so I suppose that's similar. Are you talking about after your Navman has lost the acquisition but is still on or are you saying this is a problem after your have been in the car park and you have switched on Question
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it may have something to with that in the car park the antenna won't have a clear view of the sky to get the satellite lock. Once out of the car park, you are then in motion, which means that the unit will take some time before it can get a lock.
greeningr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more specific

I regularly park on the top floor (level 6) of a multi story carpark. I get a sat lock, by the time I've driven out of the carpark i have to stop for 5 mins to get another sat lock...

Q: Should I not attempt to get a sat lock until i'm out of the carpark

or Is this something I've just got to live with?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you going to go underground (which is effectivley what you are doing driving around in side a multi story car park) there is no point in acquiring a GPS signal until you are out of the place.
Once out of the car park you need to stay stationary until the GPS locks to the signals it requires, if you simply drive off the unit will take ages to acquire a signal, sat stationary it will work out where it actually is far quicker - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greeningr wrote:
I should have been more specific

I regularly park on the top floor (level 6) of a multi story carpark. I get a sat lock, by the time I've driven out of the carpark i have to stop for 5 mins to get another sat lock...

Q: Should I not attempt to get a sat lock until i'm out of the carpark

or Is this something I've just got to live with?

Yes, wait until you get outside then switch on - or, I have found that just changing the screen view jump starts the acquisition. There's no logical reason for it, but what I do in those circumstances is to press the little Sat view icon in the bottom left of the screen to go to the GPS Status screen and often that does it. Perhaps it's just coincidence Question
Certainly, I do notice that getting a lock on the satellites while driving does sometimes take longer than when at a standstill - again, no logic to that. But you are not alone Wink
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming in other cases it is quick to get a fix, and without getting too technical, what you are probably experiencing is a the GPS locking onto noise or cross correlating when you go under cover. If this occurs, it can take a while for it to decide the signals it is processing are not the real ones. Once it does, it will perform a warm start - upto 40 seconds to get a new fix. I get this sometime swhen I start it inside my garage.

Think of it this way, a GPS Satalite is a 60watt light, 20000km away. Imagine looking in the sky, and you think you see it, after a while, you decide thats not it so you start to look for the real one. If you had started looking without being fixated on the fake one, you would find the real one much sooner.

Some receivers are better than others at preventing this, but they will all do it in ideal conditions. You could try an external antenna, or a upgrade to a SiRF III unit if you want to spend some money.

The best thing to do is to turn off the iCN while under cover. So either leave it till you are outside the car park altogether, or get a fix before leaving and turn the iCN off. When you get outside, turn it back one and you should have a fix very quickly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: