Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom One V2 or Navman iCN 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom One V2 or Navman iCN 530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonnieYen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Tomtom One V2 or Navman iCN 530 Reply with quote

HI everyone, im thinking of purchasing a satnav system. Im a first time user and have narrowed my choices down to the following:

1) Tomtom One V2
2) Navman icn 530
3) Navman F20

I have chosen the above as they are all below £200 and are top 15 satnav systems on www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

I would like your opinions on which one of these systems is better.
nicchil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman F20 has less features, than the iCN530. Its the Navman N20 that's got the same feastures with a better processor.

Other things to think about. Is it just UK only you want or would you want to use on holiday? Would you want traffic updates?
plnelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicchil wrote:
The Navman F20 has less features, than the iCN530. Its the Navman N20 that's got the same feastures with a better processor.

Other things to think about. Is it just UK only you want or would you want to use on holiday? Would you want traffic updates?

Another thing to think about is whether you need it to speak the names of the streets in turn-by-turn navigation. Many beginners are dismayed to discover that most satnav systems that do voice direction do NOT say the names of the streets; they just say "turn left" "turn right" but they can't say "turn left on Penny Lane"; "turn right on Abbey Road". I've been trying out different satnav systems to decide whether to replace my Verizon (US cellphone co.) GPS phone, and to me at least it makes a big difference in navigating confidently while keeping your eyes on the road to hear the road name spoken when making a turn.

I do not think the TomTom One says road names - I think only the 930 does) Don't know about the Navmans.
nicchil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plnelson wrote:

Another thing to think about is whether you need it to speak the names of the streets in turn-by-turn navigation. ...

I do not think the TomTom One says road names - I think only the 930 does) Don't know about the Navmans.

The demo for the 530 doesn't
http://www.navman-hosting.com/demo/selectindex.php?productid=0
But it may be out in SmartST2006??

TomTom 6 Does

Garmin StreetPilot does
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too hung up about the Text To Speach (TTS) with the TomTom product line it is only available on the top of the range 910 device, with the Garmin units again it it only available on certain high end machines -

As the OP was looking at units under the £200 marker, TTS will NOT be affordable, great as TTS is when in use, but it is still expensive - Mike
nicchil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie, any comments?

What about PDA systems? There's a couple that are now down in price (because the PDA market moves on). Half price at Handtec

Navman PiN 570 £135 inc vat + free del
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=128&xSec=6

Garmin iQUE M4 £183 inc vat + free del
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=228&xSec=6

Both, from reviews, work well as Sat Navs and come with the software.

In addition if you like the NavMan iCN 530 then is there a Costco near you? As its going to be £141 inc vat there (though if you are not a member nor know anyone who is them there's the membership fee on top so not as much a bargain then)
nicchil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Don't get too hung up about the Text To Speach (TTS)
As the OP was looking at units under the £200 marker, TTS will NOT be affordable, great as TTS is when in use, but it is still expensive - Mike

Additionally TTS isn't always that great. It relies on computer synthesised voices and so may not be as easily understood in noisy cars. At least with WAV voices you can get proper human sounds :D
PeterRankin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Navman icn530 Reply with quote

Costco are about to sell (from tomorrow 23 Oct) the ICN 530 at £141 (inc VAT) with a voucher posted to all members. Maximum 5 deals per member. One week only.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: