Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic & Tom Tom One
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic & Tom Tom One
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines working too!!

Just hope its better than when i trialled it a couple of years back.

Steve
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love hate relationship with traffic..

Like this evening when it picked the motorway (which it usually avoids) - on which there had been an accident and the speed limit was 30mph! (and I didn't do more than 20 the whole way) - and I hear the A road was fine...

OTOH there are times that I'm glad it's there & I'm sure I've avoided more problems than it's sent me straight into the middle of..
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony

Was your TomTom avoiding traffic which is why it took you onto the motorway which then was subsequently congested or did it route you onto the motorway as the original journey?

Strange that it should avoid a motorway one day and then route you onto it the next. Does this happen very often (ie. bizarre routing?). I had problems with my nuvi giving inconsistent routes and was considering getting a TomTom because I heard the routing was better.

I'm assuming that TomTom did not warn you of the traffic congestion on the motorway until it was too late?

Cheers - Nick
sacd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day an update of the 'home' software was downloaded. It changed the picture (so it was not an image of the old TT 'one' but the V2)

Also, I got this reply from Tomtom concerning the 'my one' emulator.

"We just double checked our information for you with the TomTom HOME team, it appears the component required to control your new ONE via HOME will be available very shortly.

We would recommend you try using the function again a few days from now, and you should find that HOME will allow you to download the component required.

we apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I know this is a double post but I thought the people in this thread might like to know the corrispondence I have had with Tomtom
Pads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After one week they have finally admitted to a problem with TT Home. They claim that I was the ONLY person to raise the issue - earlier posts would suggest this is untrue.

The reply I had today
TomTom aims to offer products that completely meet user requirements. Your feedback is very important to us. We would like to thank you for providing feedback. We hope to have a soloution for the new ONE as soon as possible with regards to our Home issue.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

I have made a formal complaint to my local Trading Standards and would encourgae others to do the same since this company clearly sold in the UK a product they knew was not supported by their software and as a result woudl not function as advertised (e.g. PIN setting)
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pads wrote:

I have made a formal complaint to my local Trading Standards and would encourgae others to do the same since this company clearly sold in the UK a product they knew was not supported by their software and as a result woudl not function as advertised (e.g. PIN setting)

Get a life for goodness sake.

Where did you see an advert for the PIN Setting and the emulation of the TomTom One through the Home software? If you saw that advert and then went and bought the unit for that and that only function then you may have a reasonable complaint. BUT, what has really happened is that you have read in the manual/forums about the PIN and the emulator.

How many of your mobile phones have locked up on you? How many times have you had the blue screen of death on a PC? How many cars have you heard off that have had to have recalls?

Trading standards wont be interested at all in your complaint (even if thousands complained). The functions currently missing are a tiny % of the functionality of the unit and dont detract from the primary use that it is sold for. Trading standards would only be interested if it was a major flaw that meant you couldnt actually use the unit for what it was sold for. Also, TT are activley working on a fix (they took less than a week to fix the traffic problem) which is iminent, Trading Standards will see that they are working to solve a problem. All electronic devices and especially software are prone to final bug fixes.Indeed in lots in lots of software they have a disclaimer saying that they cant guarantee the SW been 100% bug free.Trading standards are currently heavily under-funded, leave them to deal with serious complaints that actually affect peoples livelehoods.

Of course, you could take the unit back and make do with a map.

Steve
IBORGUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home now supports the virtual TomTom.

Logon via the software and it download an updated component.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Received the usual wishy-washy response from TomTom regarding when they might release an update to allow my Blackberry 8700 to work with the traffic service.

Blackberry and ONE Regional pair okay but when I try and connect to traffic the ONE says that the service is not supported on my phone.

Anyone managed to find a way around this?

Cheers - Nick
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8700 does not support a GPRS data connection over Bluetooth. It is/was a 'security measure' so your data on your Blackberry isn't at risk.

You'll need to wait for 4.2 firmware on the 8700. Then it *may* work, as 4.2 is supposed to have this feature enabled. Presumably RIM will then be happy with the security of their solution, are are simply bowing to market pressure.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:

Was your TomTom avoiding traffic which is why it took you onto the motorway which then was subsequently congested or did it route you onto the motorway as the original journey?

Most of the time it avoids the motorway as congested (I often ignore it, because 'congested' to TT is still a 50mph motorway which is faster than the alternative route).

That day it said the motorway was clear - and continued to say it was clear whilst I was sat in traffic.

TT traffic is like that - it takes a long time to pickup road changes (sometimes it never gets around to it). Once on my way the cheltenham it completely missed the closure of the motorway itself (the radio was talking about 2-3 hour delays.. I was kinda stuck because it was obvoius that attempting to leave the motorway would put me in a jam that long anyway, so I resolved to sit it out).

n4nick wrote:

I'm assuming that TomTom did not warn you of the traffic congestion on the motorway until it was too late?

It didn't warn me at all.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys - dare I say support on PGPSW is better than support from TT Head Office! Wink
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wibbly

Do you know anymore about firmware 4.2? Blackberry won't talk to me as the phone is from T-Mobile and they directed me to a link for Java Development Environment 4.2 which as far as I can see is a software package for developers to be installed on a PC. Really don't want the hassle of having to purchase another phone!

Thanks - Nick
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick,

No, you'll just have to wait for T-Mobile to release 4.2. Or wait until someone else does, and "unofficially" put it in your T-Mobile Blackberry. There are no 4.2 releases so far as far as I know, but the new Blackberry Perl has it. Data over bluetooth is something the Perl's supposed to do now, so hopefully the 8700 will get it with 4.2 when it comes...

Anyone here using a Blackberry Perl with TomTom traffic?
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh....why is live so difficult?! Crying or Very sad
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's RIM's heritage - they have in the past gone overboard on anything they considered a security risk - overboard meaning "we won't/don't support that feature".

So it's only their latest hardware that has a camera, and only their latest software that supports data over Bluetooth. Even Bluetooth itself was a long time coming.

Things should get better, however, and they now have a greater consumer focus where these kind of features are a prerequisite these days. Meanwhile it's a pain in the @ss for those of us that love their Blackberry devices for everything they do so well, but then stumble over these 'basic' features that still need to be implemented.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: