Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in summary then - I suspect that the 360 and 310 have slightly different chargers although I don't see why Garmin would do this.

Do 360 owners have the -21 cable and 310 users the -20? or am I mistaken and this is really a "new" charger?

If this is not "new" (and since the 360 (above) was supplied in early August with a -21 cable) then all this "new" charger info from Garmin is twaddle and like earlier posts - Garmin are not 100% truthful. True?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the "honest" comments from Garmin have said that they don't yet have a permanent fix, and are still waiting for Garmin US to sort it out. I can't believe that fix is to simply supply an existing car charger, so I think the final fix is still to come (possibly confirmed by the fact I've yet to receive the fix, and even emails this week to/from Garmin haven't mentioned a fix being available.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
JoshT

Would be interested in hearing your views if you do go for the TT1 v2. I think there are a few of use here (RDS?) who are adopting a wait and see approach after being dissapointed with the nuvi.

Cheers - Nick

Due to the poor and confused information coming from Garmin and continuing lack of a real permanent solution I've long given up waiting.
For the past 6 weeks I've been successfully using a TT910 and am converted. I haven't experienced any of the known issues and for me despite the current lack of a TMC receiver believe it to be a superior unit to the Nuvi.
The Nuvi only really scores on size and in my opinion if it wasn't for the fact that the TT x10 series is more bulky TomTom would be selling even more than they are now.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Garmin have said that they don't yet have a permanent fix, and are still waiting for Garmin US to sort it out. I can't believe that fix is to simply supply an existing car charger.
Garmin have now confirmed to me that the charger currently being sent out has resulting in improvements for some, but is still not the final fix.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: New power supply Reply with quote

Lola - have you tried this new power supply to see if it makes any difference with the GTM 12?
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent bought Nuvi yet - tried the 310D but it didnt work so left well alone.

I will return to the shop and I will try the new cable. If it works then I will buy - if it doesnt then I leave alone.

Phone TT today re: their RDS TMC - now due in Q4 (mid Oct onwards although no date yet).
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New power supply Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
Lola - have you tried this new power supply to see if it makes any difference with the GTM 12?

If it helps, like Lola, I also just received one of the new cables. The serial number is different to the original cable, but this is the experience I have been waiting for...

"Finally the GTM-12 with the new power cable works!!!!!!!"

There is no ferrite suppressor ring, and I get traffic instantly (even whilst the battery was charging in the in-car cradle). I got oodles of traffic information where before I got none. I drove to/from London, and not one experience of "No traffic Data Available".

I must say I am very pleased.

I hope everyone else who gets one of these new cables has the same experience I have had.

TGL
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TGL - will go to store tomorrow and speak to parts manager. Together we spent half an hour a few weeks ago trying this in my car before he concluded it didnt work (I'd had it a few days). Must say Cotswold BMW were excellent and are as keen as us for a fix.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - cant edit my posts - forgot to say - tried both chargers in the lab today and all I could see was the new cable output is 5.2V where the old cable is 4.9V. Neither cable had any noise right down to nanoseconds so I doubt the ferrite would be any use. USB voltage is 5V so maybe the old cable just cant supply enough juice.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Sorry - cant edit my posts - forgot to say - tried both chargers in the lab today and all I could see was the new cable output is 5.2V where the old cable is 4.9V. Neither cable had any noise right down to nanoseconds so I doubt the ferrite would be any use. USB voltage is 5V so maybe the old cable just cant supply enough juice.

Well your tests would line up with what I experienced and what Garmin Tech Support told me. When my Nuvi was charging it failed to get traffic data. As soon as it was chartged I got pages of traffic data. Subsequent chats with Garmin also confirmed there was not enough power to the GTM unit, because I was told that the Nuvi was designed on the higher power output of US manufactured cars (although I must admit I am not totally convinced about this point).

Anyway, good luck with your unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGL wrote:
I was told that the Nuvi was designed on the higher power output of US manufactured cars
Complete hogwash!
The power addapter contains the electronics to reduce the voltage to that required by the device (otherwise it would be toast), it doesn't matter what your car feeds in to this lead in terms of power or voltage (within reason) and American cars are very similar to the UK spec ones in terms of electical power and voltage.
Electrical noise might be a slightly different issue, Electro-Magnetic Compatability (EMC) specifications for the two countries are different, although I thought the European EMC specs are tighter (no doubt I will stand corrected later on this issue Laughing ), But if a device were "designed" to work in a USA car it should easily work in the UK - the addition of ferrite rings is a simple job though I would think a re-design of the power addapter is the better longer term solution, i.e. don't create or let the noise through to the device - Mike
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: GTM 12 Reply with quote

Could it be the USA power adaptors were a different type or batch - I thought the cigarette lighter plug is a slightly different size in the USA?
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
TGL wrote:
I was told that the Nuvi was designed on the higher power output of US manufactured cars
Complete hogwash!
The power addapter contains the electronics to reduce the voltage to that required by the device (otherwise it would be toast), it doesn't matter what your car feeds in to this lead in terms of power or voltage (within reason) and American cars are very similar to the UK spec ones in terms of electical power and voltage.

Well thanks for that. I am technical, but not an electrical expert. Your description kind of confirms my suspicions about their story.

At the end of the daywhat counts is the new cable works without any fancy shielding. It's just like the old original cable, but with a different serial number.

Happy navigating...err...traffic avoidance.

TGL
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm the serial number of the new, working car charger you now have?
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Can you confirm the serial number of the new, working car charger you now have?

Yes, the serial number is: 10R-02 6025

I have binned my old cable, but from memory the serial number of that original cable was basically the same with the last digit a 1 instead of a 5.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 26 of 44

Jump to: