Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Legal location on windscreen for bracket?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal location on windscreen for bracket?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwibrit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Legal location on windscreen for bracket? Reply with quote

I have been told that the TomTom bracket is technically illegal if it is mounted in the area covered by the wipers. Is that so? Any experience of police attitude on this one?

Not to difficult to mount outside wiper arcs on either of the family cars - but dealing with the power cable to the cigarette lighter would be a pain.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as its not interfearing with your vision it should be ok. ie dont stick it directly infront of the stearing wheel.

i maybe wrong on this but the windscreen wiper radius thing comes from the A zone which is usually the width of the stearing wheel

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kiwibrit,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

kiwibrit wrote:
I have been told that the TomTom bracket is technically illegal if it is mounted in the area covered by the wipers.

Whilst I’m not Police, I can believe that the authorities would have an issue with a mount in that area. I know that if you have a stone chip in that area then the MOT inspector gets interested! ;)

kiwibrit wrote:
dealing with the power cable to the cigarette lighter would be a pain.

Why not try a cigarette lighter power splitter/extension lead?

Alternatively you could invest in a Brodit ProClip for your vehicle and a Brodit mount for your unit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
kiwibrit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I quite like the idea of the ProClip. Not a problem for one of our cars which has an external aerial, but for the Corsa, I am not sure the TomTom would receive properly away from the windscreen. I'd rather not keep transferring the aerial between cars. However, I have the original TomTom Go - and I understand the aerials for that are no longer available.

I'll see if I can do some tests to see if the set will GPS lock when held at where a bracket would be located.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, any stone chip or window sticker (not described) measuring more than 1cm in diameter in the swept area of the wipers directly in front of the driver, would be an MOT failure. This doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Anything stuck to the windscreen which obscures the driver's vision would be illegal. This is a matter of opinion for the individual Police Officer. I have my TTOne on the windscreen mount, in the extreme lower right of my screen and although I can see it, I wouldn't consider that it obstructs my vision at all. This would be the same philosophy I would use at work. Each case has to be taken on it's own merits. The next few times you see taxis, look inside, as they now have a multitude of things far worse than a single satnav device. Mobile phone holders, satnavs, call despatchers, sticky pads. Unless it gets silly, Police shouldn't bother you.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Unless it gets silly, Police shouldn't bother you.

Or you've recently got off something on a technicality and now they are "out to get you"? Confused
Police target driving 'loopholes'
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyP2002 wrote:
Or you've recently got off something on a technicality and now they are "out to get you"?
Police target driving 'loopholes'

I share the philosophy muted in the article you referred to, in respect that "what goes around, comes around". If someone gets off, they get off, but they get cocky and eventually they get their just desserts. On the other hand, actively targetting someone just because they wriggled out because of poor Police work is morally wrong and I for one don't subscribe to that.

Anyway, the article is about drunk / careless drivers (people who are a menace to society) and not about Joe Public with a sat nave stuck to his window, which is what this thread is about Andy. Rolling Eyes

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A readers letter in the motoring section of either last weekends D. Telegraph or Sunday Times said how a car failed it's MOT due to the tax disc being in the wiper arc despite it being positioned in the usual place ie bottom left windscreen.
The MOT tester merely moved the disc to top left and the vehicle passed.

So I guess anything that is situated within the wiper arc/zone could be illegal.

What I think should be really discouraged are the things seen hanging from rear view mirrors ie dolls, bears, CD's, parcel shelves full of toys and rear windows covered in stickers. All can easily obscure the presence of a pedestrian, motor cyclist or car

I'm always amazed at how some drivers manage to see out of the vehicles sometimes.
chauf4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be fine with you sat nav stuck to the screen in the bottom right hand corner because that is where the Surrey police force have their tomtom's mounted.

If it's good enough for them, then it's ok for all of us.

Copilot V9
Android
Asus Transformer TF101
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chauf4 wrote:
I think you should be fine with you sat nav stuck to the screen in the bottom right hand corner because that is where the Surrey police force have their tomtom's mounted.

Really ??

Try driving at 159mph and see how the courts treat you. I doubt if you'll get an absolute discharge with no points, ban or fine.
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say it worries me where some people fit their satnavs, I've seen them regulalry right in the middle of the screen below the rearview mirror.
It's commonsense (well it is to me) that you mount it in such a way that you can see it easily but so that it doesn't obstruct your view.
At the extreme right where the A pillar is or as low as possible so that it sits' on the dash as this way it doesn't restrict your vison.

I had a Garmin i3 (not a bad little device but I prefer TomTom) and in their istallation instructions actually cover this.
chauf4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
chauf4 wrote:

Really ??

Try driving at 159mph and see how the courts treat you. I doubt if you'll get an absolute discharge with no points, ban or fine.

Err hang on a mo, you don't get it. 8O

I know looking at typed words does not give an indication of the way it has been said verbally, but when you put the phrases "OK for the Police" and "OK for all of us" in the same sentence you have to realise there is an element of sarcasm involved. :D

Copilot V9
Android
Asus Transformer TF101
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try driving at 159mph and see how the courts treat you. I doubt if you'll get an absolute discharge with no points, ban or fine.[/quote]

I think this bears a bit of sarcasm too, although i have to say i agree with the observation.

Off topic, but what about these dash displays that stick your speed etc right in front of your eyes on the screen, heads up i think they call it, surely that must be a distraction.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcasm was recognised in the original post and heavy sarcasm certainly intended in my reply. However I guess it is worth noting that just because the police do or get away with something it is automatically OK for the rest of us to follow.
kbv1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you ever get caught going 159mph down the motorway or 80 in a 30 just tell them you were testing out your car. Just like a copper did where i live. He went to court and was found guilty and nothing happend to him, suprise suprise!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: