Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage UK and USA
http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm11/coverage.jsp#uk
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: What does limited refer to? Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
Coverage UK and USA
http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm11/coverage.jsp#uk

The problem is this map says limited coverage. Limited what? Does this refer to the sensors only being on major routes or to the lack of radio broadcast coverage?

I for one saw this before purchasing and assumed, rightly or wrongly, that this referred to the sensors. I decided that knowing when there were issues on the main roads was good enough.

May be a statement that reads "NB, there is no signal in large parts of the civilised world" may have been a clearer statement.

A shame really because the few times I have had a signal the unit has performed well routing around any problems.
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Hi

There should be a transmitter on the North York Moors and ones close to Hull and Leeds, then they are regularly spaced down the M1. Further north there is a clump of three around Durham & Sunderland / Newcastle. I have asked Trafficmaster for a map showing how far these transmitters actually broadcast but no luck yet.

Nick

I live near Hull and do not receive a signal with my Nuvi 310 & GTM 12. When I first bought it during the hot weather at the beginning of August I did receive info but nothing for the last month.

The places I start to receive (lock onto) a signal is just north of Harrogate and just west of castleford (for about 2mins) then nothing until I get to the M61.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: UK coverage Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
It looks like TMC(Itis) used on the Tomtom has the advantage of being national using Classic FM.
I'm not sure the "national" coverage of Classic results in much better traffic reception from what I've heard over the last couple of years.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:

2) I am intrigued by the Nuvi660 being supplied with the GTM21. Could the Nuvi310 be re-designed to use what I guess is a TMC designed upon the failure of the GTM12.

I doubt it, because when I went into the system menu, and scrolled to the page that shows the TMC voltage and version etc, it refers to the GTM-10, and I have a GTM-12 installed.

I agree with your logic though, and I kind of though that the Nuvi was designed for the GTM-10 based on what the system menu was reporting.

tgl
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TGL - thanks - I dont have a GPS yet - have learned through the failures in Sony Ericsson software to review via forums before parting cash. I have decided (after reading this forum) to wait for the Nuvi 610 and go for the unknown rather than a 310D with "fixed" charger.

One thing I think may be significant - whereas the GTM12 was for USA and UK, Garmin are making a GTM20 for USA and GTM21 for UK. Now there is a reason for this beacuse no manufacturer would have two products if one would do. So I suspect the GTM12 was designed for the USA and will always be patchy in the UK.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: GTM20/21 Reply with quote

With regards the new Nuvi with widescreen and GTM21 people have already had reception problems with the GTM21 in the UK, so unless Garmin fix this version as well you could end up with the same problems as the GTM12.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin told me last night they know they have a power lead problem and are sending me out a new lead. Will report back.

Mabsey
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the power lead is common to all Garmin models?
alexlake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the price of the 610 is likely to be?
len73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda,

The power cords are different. I believe the Nuvi has a power cord a seperate Traffic receiver port, that's why some people have managed to improve receprion by changing the power cord to an USB2 type spec.

My StreetPilot c550 uses the GTM21 which is a combined power and traffic cable that terminates in a rectangular multi pin plug so us poor sods can't use the USB2 type fix to improve reception. Needless to say the GTM21 has exactly the same problems at the GTM12 and the Garmin supplied ferite core fix has done diddly squat to improve performance.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

len73

Thanks - I tried the 310D - didnt work and returned to shop.

Whilst I had it - I borrowed 4 ferrites from the test lab and after the 3rd ferrite things were better - though not satisfactory.

I am considering making myself a 12V to 5V dc-dc converter powered by the lighter socket. (Some nice chaps at Garmin sent me a replacement power cord so I am thinking about making myself a 5V 1-Amp dc power supply).

Didnt know that it is all the GTM's - oh dear - I do like the Nuvi but if the Tomtom works with it's new TMC then I guess...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGL wrote:
it refers to the GTM-10, and I have a GTM-12 installed.
The interface and overall technology in the GTM10, 11 and 12 are identical, so Garmin does not need to distinguish between the 3. Also, you are studying a hidden diagnostic screen, so again, Garmin don't need to update the text to say "GTM1x" instead of "GTM10" simply because they know what it means.

Also, I would prefer that Garmin's programmers concentrate on better things like adding multiple waypoint support to the Nuvi than to changing a hidden screen :D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
One thing I think may be significant - whereas the GTM12 was for USA and UK, Garmin are making a GTM20 for USA and GTM21 for UK.
So I suspect the GTM12 was designed for the USA and will always be patchy in the UK.
It's actually a little bit of the reverse of that. The radio signal in the US is generally so good that for the GTM20 they could integrate the antenna into the charging cable, whereas for the GTM21 they left it separate to allow the user to put the antenna in the best position for their car.

As the GTM12 didn't hae this option, they were able to produce a single unit for worldwide usage - in essence, a US user could leave the antenna in a little circle in the corner and it would still work better than it does in the UK.

Certainly my experiences with 2 other car chargers does seem to indicate that although there are areas of the UK with bad or no TMC signal, the GTM12 is capable of picking up a lot of traffic information (once you sort out a new car charger).
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
Garmin told me last night they know they have a power lead problem and are sending me out a new lead. Will report back.

Mabsey

I concur. I just phoned Garmin (UK) technical support and they said they just received stock of the permanent fix (a replacement car battery lead which goes between the cigerette lighter output of the car to the Nuvi unit).

I also enquired why people in the US were not having the same problems as Europe, and the tech support person leads me to believe it is due to the slightly higher current output in US made cars. That would make sense, because otherwise I don't believe this would have been an issue a long time ago when the Nuvi was first launched state side.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on with my new power cable when I get it in the post.

tgl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 24 of 44

Jump to: