Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Gatso Warning sound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Gatso Warning sound
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit,
How about posting the "name & address" you were given, then a few more of us could add our weight to the argument and then.....

Other than the warning noise though I'm still really happy with my 530 :D
bandit13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have never met or spoken to this person at Navman I cannot publish his name and addess in a public forum.

I am happy to send a message containing their name and address to anyone who requests it.

Sunnygjg you have a message.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the following forums
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18370&highlight= and
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16257&highlight=

- The same should work for the iCN530 - I don't have one so cant test it.
As for testing - turn the simualtor on and use "set start location" to make a route run past a GATSO
bandit13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Busy weekend..... Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
have a look at the following forums
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18370&highlight= and
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16257&highlight=

- The same should work for the iCN530 - I don't have one so cant test it.
As for testing - turn the simualtor on and use "set start location" to make a route run past a GATSO

Tx for the links. Looks like I have a busy weekend of testing. Can you pm me a known working .wav file so I don't get caught by the compressed file issue. Good to test on a proven .wav file.

Tx!
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of threads in this forum regarding sounds/voices to replace the dreadful "ping".

As far as my limited experience has shown, those with ICN510's have successfully replaced the default.wav with something better, but those with ICN520's have not had the same fortune.

On a 520, once the new default.wav has sounded, all voice directions cease.

I hope that you can find success with the ICN530.

If anyone has a different experience with the 520 I would love to hear.
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Gatso Warnings Reply with quote

Returned my Navman 530 to Handtec and they gave me a full refund.

No quibble, they even gave the refund despite my forgetting to include the power cord (which I posted later)

Have reverted to my trusty ipaq 4700 until I find the right piece of kit.
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defence of the the rather pathetic ping re the Gatso warnings, I have to say that I have just returned from a week down in Somerset and I didn't miss a single camera, even when blasting round the M25 and down the M4. So I guess it does actually work ! Wink
chrisjm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reply from Navman support (after 2 weeks). It says literally this:- "Unfourturntely we can not change the sound.".
Nuff said Sad
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really pleased with my 530 but like others would like to add different comical voices/sounds/warnings/flashes etc. But it certainly wouldn't make me want to return it for a refund... just the kid in me wanting to play I guess..
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning don't try this unless you are happy to take the risk and you know what you are doing - it's more of a request for a developer than a confirmed solution at this stage

I'm looking into this and having had some success at changing the sound with the taskbar application some are installing to unlock the ICN5x0 series and I'm now wondering if it is simply possible to edit the registry on the 530 to point the default sound to another file.
If somebody with registry workshop could look if they have a key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
snd
Event
curr0

For example if I change the 4th item in that key to startup (instead of default) I get the much better warning sound, I can also change it to a custom created file.
I'm not sure if everyone will have the curr0 key (since I have already edited my sound configuration using the control panel on the 530) so I'm looking for confirmation; there are some other keys which hold defaults but I dare not edit them yet.
Also I'm unsure if any changes would just be overwritten by an unhacked 530.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. On my 530, under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
snd
Event

I don't have Curr0 key.

I have:

(Default)
.AllSounds
.DefaultSounds
.NoSounds
Scheme
EventCache
EventMask

I've modded my 530 so I can use the Windows CE side of it. So I wonder if I use CONTROL app. if I can make Curr0 key appear?
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Unhban,
I just found that a cold reset does wipe overwrite the registry so I recreated the Curr0 key by editing the sounds in Control Panel first. I did try to edit the .DefaultSounds key but registry workshop complains that the file isn't allowed to contain blank lines and screws up the key, needing a cold reset to sort it out.
It seems that the taskbar - control panel route is the best option for people at the moment as it makes editing the sounds quite easy.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been into CE's CONTROL and edited the DEFAULT sound to EXCLAM. Indeed I do now have Curr0 key.

Opening that key by right-clicking and selecting MODIFY I see:

Asterisk

critical
exclam

exclam
infbeg
infend
infintr

question
Infbeg
Infend
Infintr
startup

So I'm just wondering what exactly I now edit to use a custom .wav, say SpeedCam.wav... is it just the EXCLAM lines?
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just the 3rd entry of text down (actually on the 4th line allowing for the blank) that is the pointer to the "Default" sound and in your case now reads exlam.

But there is no need to edit the registry, my purpose was to try and find a hack for those who didn't have access to Control Panel. Now I'm not sure there is any point because the registry key isn't there for these people.

If you simply copy your custom.wav into the windows folder and go back into control panel to reassign the default sound you should see you can now select your custom sound in the menu. So far I've only used wav files that were 11.026kHz mono, windows sound recorder can be used to convert if required, not sure if other bitrates will work or not

Even with all the usual hacks the sound returns to default on a cold restart and the custom file seems to be deleted also but this could be backed up to the storage card and restoring it manually will be easy enough for the odd time this happens.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction 11.026 should read 11.025 !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: