Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Returning TTN5 to Palm for full refund
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning TTN5 to Palm for full refund
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Returning TTN5 to Palm for full refund Reply with quote

Has anyone attempted to return their buggy TTN5 software / hardware bundled package to Palm for a full refund?

I'm about to go down this path full force, and take it to court if that's what it requires, filing BBB and FTC reports along the way. :x
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT 5.21 IPaq is pretty sorry. I have to restart my 4700 every other day because TT hangs it.
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised to hear your problems with tt5.21 and ipaq 4700. I have the same setup and my machine runs fine. I have had it running continuously for as long as 2 weeks without a crash while on hols in france.

Admittedly, the WM5 update was a pig at first but now, with the patch from HP all seems fine once more.

I have other issues with tomtom but that thankfully has little to do with their software and more to do with customer service (ie. no/disinformation regarding map updates). Up until the recent WM5 update I would have said TT and the 4700 were made for each other. Now that a lot of the issues with the WM5 update have cleared up, I am a happy camper again.

regards

Mark
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry lads that you are disgruntled with your TT5. But remember one thing before you do anything drastic and thats that all TT5 programmes are mass produced and are therefore identical.

I have an Ipaq 2210 and I can honestly say that TT5 has never frozen or let me down in any shape or form. I use it extensively both here and on the continent and I cannot imagine driving through places like Paris or London without it.

I don’t know what’s causing your problems but I doubt that the Tomtom programme is the cause.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite sure that there's something wrong with TT's interaction with bluetooth in my case.

I'd thought of trying WM5, but was concerned about all the horror stories. Interesting that the patch has resolved things.
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum:

I was an "early adopter" (aka pillock) of WM5 for the IPAq 4700. I had no end of grief, and was about ready to buy a pnd device for navigating. Then came the HP patch and all was hunkydory again. compact flash problems disapeared, infuriating waits between tapping a soft button and anything useful happening are a thing of the past. I am finally a happy user of WM5.

Note however, TT5.21 on my system was working perfectly well on Wm2003 (with the various HP patches applied). I am just a sucker for "upgrades".

you don't say which BT GPS you are using. I ended up buying the TT mark II which is miles better than my old NAVMAN 4460, which I used with a palm based system. Maybe your GPS is the problem?

I can safely say though that I will not be upgrading to TT6 (if it's offered) until I return from my next holiday in France (september 06). I will cheerfully put up with a few map errors for the knowledge that the application won't crash/memory leak/ or otherwise put up my blood pressure with a critical wife and two small children in the back and a 650 mile drive to get through.

I am sure I will regret asking this, but anybody know what the latest version of france plus map is? I have the V571 maps of western europe and had a few problems in the vendee last year with non-existent/yet to be built roads etc.

regards

MB
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of the problems normally associated with TT are in fact hardware related (or reated to the the software on it!).
I had an Ipaq 4550 and the number of problems I had with TT was unreal !!! After a number of hard restes, TT reinstallations, installing a number of patches, updates and upgrades etc. etc. the problems continued so I put on my boxing gloves and fought it out with HP. A month later they substituted my Ipaq 4550 with a Ipaq 2415 and TT now works like a dream!!!!

I confess that initially I though the problems were due to TT Nav 3 and then 5 so I gave TT grief to last them a decade. After getting the new Ipaq I realized that the problems were in fact HP's.
Sorry TT for the hard time I gave you, your product isn't all that bad after all!!!
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markblades, good to know about WM5.

I too, prefer upgrades whenever possible. But for WM2003SE there only seems to be a BT patch which adds a headset. It made no improvement. I've searched for other patches, but HP doesn't make it easy.

For a while I was using the Holux236 pod, but it went crazy whenever I went downtown. So now I'm using the i.Trek M5, which is far better with multipath distortion and keeps me ontrack downtown. No substantive change with the iPaq BT hanging problem.

I haven't decided about TTN6 yet. I do not really see enough there to justify it, and the Big Brother features bother me muchly.

My God, y'all are fortunate to be able to travel to France for holiday. I've tried to emigrate to Sweden due to my frightening president and Congress, but they have raised immigration barriers, I guess to protect themselves from Americans, ironically!
markblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum:

Are you running WM2003SE ROM v 1.10. This update made all the difference to me when it came out. Fixed a bluetooth stack error that leaked memory like no tomorrow. There are two updates you need if you are running v1.00 ROM. Here's the link.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/1120_6089.html

You need the two updates listed under BIOS.

Of course, if you've already updated to v1.10 then the above isn't much help but I thought you may be interested.

Good Luck

Mark
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reboot screen says ROM 1.10, so I presume I'm running WM2003SE.

HP installed it, so I don't know whether the firmware update was also installed. Battery time ain't so great, lasting only about three hours with bluetooth on .. and TomTom running.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the discussion back on topic (something I'm not renowned for!) ,
I have to say that TT5.21 Bluetooth bought independently from my Palm OS 5 Treo 650 has never produced any problems - no freezes, crashes etc. The biggest problem I have is the Treo's minute working memory allowance, which means I often have to run a database memory clearing application in order to get Nav 5 to run - not something I can blame TT for! I run a lot of additional applications beyond the standard PIM stuff, and must be lucky not to generate too many conflicts - but less fortunate souls might run into problems in this way. You don't mention the hardware you're operating, but as one SO often critical of TT, I feel it only fair that I point out the lack of issues I have with my Palm-based system.

My suggestion would be to streamline the internal applications you might be running to address any conflicts and persevere with TT 5 for Palm - we need all the support we can get!!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
markblades, good to know about WM5.
I haven't decided about TTN6 yet. I do not really see enough there to justify it, and the Big Brother features bother me muchly.

What big brother features?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted these, I believe, on the first page of the TTN6 thread. One is that it allows others to track you, and vice-versa. This is the kind of thing that looks nice, but can be turned around against your will. And if memory serves, there are new 'features' (read: problems) in the Options.

I'm an 8 year Linux user for security reasons, and if there's one thing I know, it's that the very presence of these things is a bad thing.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Buddy' system can be seen as a gimmick or it could be used as a usefull tool.

Big sales forces for example would be hard to track down without lots of calls. Maybe this system will be usefull to them. Wink
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Or, it can be used as a tracking device, by whomever.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: