Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joenowlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After two weeks of owning a Nuvi 310 and the GTM12 traffic receiver I still have not had the pleasure of ANY traffic information from the £400 piece of equipment. I was however pleased to see that Garmin are on the case with the firmware updates - the latest as of today included a number of critical improvements......

...Whilst not receiving traffic updates sat in a traffic jam I can comfort myself with the knowledge that as a priority they have managed to "Remove off-road bearing line" and "Add verification step to Garmin Lock Pin entry" in the latest update!!

I guess the next priority will be to change the selection of background splash pictures... 8O
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry firmware version is 2.9

Have tried it, no luck. Although they have removed the search button from the traffic option in system menu.

I might try and get hold of a ferrite ring and try it myself. If someone gets one from Garmin please can you post a picture of it with dimensions.
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I do get some traffic alerts listed,, so perhaps am OK. Had wondered whether perhaps I was missing some, but if it's a case of all or nothing, then that's looking good.

I've also just upgraded the 360, so that should get transferred over next time I'm in the car.
Ali3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a 310D for a week. TMC works fine around the M25 but no TMC in or around Farnham & Guildford which is where I really want it to work. Spoke to Garmin yesterday (after holding for more than 40mins) and they sent me a ferrite for the power lead. They also told me to attach the aerial about 5" up from the bottom of the windscreen. Right in my line of sight!
Anyway, this has not improved anything. The instructions show the ferrite is designed to supress noise on an aerial feed for a different product.
So, took back to Halfords today and showed them the system didn't work in their car park (Farnham). The guy there is helpful but is clearly paid to do anything in his power to avoid giving me my money back. Instead he gave me a brand new 310D which doesn't work either. Given that I can show him it doesn't work in his carpark I guess he has no choice but to issue a refund. I'm looking forward to the argument which I will have in 10 mins!
Given that the system works in london and around the M25 my conclusion is that its simply not sensitive enough to pick up a good signal anywhere around Guilford, and from the posts I've read on this forum it looks like there are other blackspots around the country too. The only way I can imagine this system working everywhere is with more radio stations transmitting the signal. Garmin & Halfords should make it clear there is a limited service. Prospective buyers beware
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there is a GTMxxx update, it came up on the webupdater, but 2.9 didn't 8O Unless I didn't do the GTMxxx last time Embarassed
Ali3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give Garmin another try before taking the 310D back. They sent me though a map showing the location of all transmitters in the UK. Most of the south east is covered but Farnham is in a bit of a void. Other areas without transmitters close by are south and mid wales, lincolnshire, carlisle, dorset, southern scotland...etc. It would be worth calling them and getting this map if you have some problems.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ali3

Would it be possible for you to scan this and post a link on the thread?

Cheers - Nick
faujasite
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Trafficmaster what the situation was with the GTM12 and received the following reply:

Quote:

Thanks for the email.
It has been brought to my attention that the new GTM12 antenna is not
performing adequately, this is currently being investigated.
There were no problems with the GTM11 if you are able to source one.
As soon as a resolution is concluded I shall be in contact.
Kind regards
TrafficMaster Plc

Looks as if it would not be wise to purchase a GTM12 at the moment.
WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same reply from TrafficMaster

Quote:
It has been brought to my attention that a specific antenna sold with some of the Garmin units does not seem to be performing adequately, this is being investigated presently. In our experience the older antenna the GTM11 seems to perform better.

WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: European Maps Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the Euorpean Maps that are on CD/DVD street level mapping or major roads only?
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It's street level mapping on the dvd, major roads are pre-installed on the Nuvi.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

We I've had traffic now without problem since my last post over a week ago, but I thought I would run a few more tests and report back.

Test 1 - Using Ciggarette Cable that Came with Garmin

Result : No matter where I put the Arial I go no Traffic at all.

Test 2 - Using a Different USB Adaptor (E13 Model CC0103) and a straight through USB lead.

Result : No matter where I put the Arial I go no Traffic at all.

Test 3 - Using same USB Adaptor above, but with a USB lead that has the round noise suppressor built in.

Result: Traffic everytim within 12 seconds of Turning the Unit on. Also when I go into traffic setting I get the Option for RAC Live and get page upon page of updates.

I ran the above test 3 times each, and got the same result everytime. I think RAC's comment about the arial is probably true and somehow this USB lead with the noise suppresor just does enough to get my traffic.

Mabsey
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further Update :

Test 4 - Straight Through USB lead connected to Desktop PC

No Traffic

Test 5 - USB lead with Suppresser Ring Fitted

Once again, traffic within 20 seconds and thats from indoors. I went into the secret menu and this is what it said:

TUNED CHANNEL 83
CC 12
SID 7
LEVEL 6
ERROR 7
MODE 2
N SYNC 0
MESSAGE COUNT 38

I went into setting and it had picked up RAC live again and the Message Count above was going up.

If I can get a picture of this usb lead I will post a link.

Mabsey
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears that despite the fact that Garmin, Halfords and now Trafficmaster are all saying they are aware of problems with the GTM12 it continues to be retailed on the high st.
Obviously Trafficmaster aren't in anyway liable as they neither manufacture nor sell the unit however both Garmin and, more importantly as your Contract Of Sale is with them, Halfords are.

What is the legal situation in a retailer selling goods which they know aren't 'fit for purpose' ?

Surely the GTM12 should be withdrawn from sale, albeit possibly temporarily, until the intermittent reception problems are finally and totally resolved.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, here's a couple of pictures of either ends of the cables.

This combination gets my traffic working perfectly.

http://www.tbarecruiter.co.uk/gtm/end1.jpg

http://www.tbarecruiter.co.uk/gtm/end2.jpg

I know this is no help to anyone who's set-up isn't working, but it gives you an idea of what I needed to do to get mine working. With a straight through lead without that round part on the end of the cable, the traffic dont work at all.

Mabsey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 17 of 44

Jump to: