Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: A Trip to Halfords Reply with quote

Hi all

Well, I have been to Halfords to pick up my 'Interim Fix' to the Traffic problem. What was it? Just instructions where NOT to put the GTM 12 Antenna, and instructions on 'How to Download Firmware Updates'!!!
Unfrotunately the Helpful Assistant of yesterday was not yet in work.
Do I wait the couple of weeks to get the solution form Garmin US. Or do I go back to TomTom (ie get my money back for the Garmin)?

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
well first the bad news, you have been royally screwed by Halfords and Garmin with a last ditch attempt to fob you off.

I for one was very pleased to hear your news as I thought Garmin were finally admitting to this problem and trying to help you out !

I would go back to Halfords and ask them to ring their "special secret number" for Garmin and ask to speak to them yourself, explain that you are quite capable of updating the firmware etc if and when it is provided.

I would then want a specific time frame as to when this problem is to be sorted out, say two weeks, I would like this in writing, some chance I know.

I am on a knife edge as to returning my unit but at the moment I cannot get out, I think the lack of communication is the thing that is really cheesing me off, good luck and let us know the outcome.

Les
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310D and TMC Reply with quote

I have similar problems but different symptoms.

When I first bought the 310d I got it home and tried it with the USB cable first, Everything was fine TMC and GPS lock (indoors).

I then went on a trip from Hull to Nottingham and again everything fine with car adaptor plugged in.

Now with USB or car adaptor I do not get any TMC alerts. Using the maintenance access (hold finger on moving average for a period of time) I can get to the GTM Status page which shows what it is doing.

It seems to be continuously searching the Tuned Channel. Letting it search gives the following values regardless of USB or Car adaptor.

Tuned Channel: 1 to 187
CC: 12
SID: 128
LTN: 0
Level: 0 to 10
Error: 0
Mode: 2 to 3
N-Sync: 0 or 255
Last Message: 0
Message Count: 0

I am assuming that level is signal level but do not know what the full range is. I would have thought 7+ was OK

I am also assuming that mode is something like searching (3), acquiring (2) and (1) would be locked?

Could some other people have a look at their values and report back as this may provide an indication of whether there are one or more problems out there.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Traffic Values Reply with quote

Hi Hawk74

I live in btween Manchester and Liverpool in Warrington near M6 J21.

My TMC worked for a while on and off, but in the last ten days has not worked at all, this is why I went back to Halfords.

When the TMC was working Channel 145 was the channel it locked on to.
Now I get NO value for channel 145.

I am due to see Halfords again on Thursday, on the phone I have given them TWO Weeks to get me an answer.

Hope that the info helps

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: STOP and WAIT Reply with quote

Have thought long and hard about this and after some 3 weeks and many unanswered mails from Garmin I have decided to return my 310D back to the supplier a second time.

I think that it is not a wise investment to spend any amount of money on a price of kit that does not work in all conditions. What I mean is, I shouldn’t be content if while travelling to a destination I receive some traffic reports and on other days it’s a fault of traffic master or some other transmitter failing to give a strong signal.

It simply is not viable and conducive to safe driving to momentarily take my eyes off the road to continually see if I have a FM signal, which I find myself doing more and more often. This unit has caused me more time being wasted in my attempts to rectify a Garmin by myself.

The unit is a good small and reliable item however my first and possibly last dealing with Garmin concluded today. Instead I have had to go for a TT 510 with the knowledge that traffic plus does work despite it’s price and additionally for £70 (advertised) I soon will be able to get a FM receiver.

Do I like TT maping? Not really but what else do I do if Garmin,s uncountable team cant better there poor quality control and supply units that work fully as intended all the time.

If you are thinking of purchasing this GTM, STOP. I suggest that you wait many months until it has been sorted if at all it can be. You then may have the luxury of a permanent FM signal while it guides you down yet another back narrow lane to your destination.
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is that I travelled to Maidstone down the A1 last week and the TMC worked from Nottingham down (on and off probably reception based reason).

So as far as I can see TMC isn't working in the North of England as of about 2 weeks ago but it is a bit expensive driving to Nottigham each time to prove it.

I don't travel long distances that regulary but when I do I expect to use the services I have paid for!

Lets hope there is a firmware fix soon :-(
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is that I travelled to Maidstone down the A1 last week and the TMC worked from Nottingham down (on and off probably reception based reason).

So as far as I can see TMC isn't working in the North of England as of about 2 weeks ago but it is a bit expensive driving to Nottigham each time to prove it.

I don't travel long distances that regulary but when I do I expect to use the services I have paid for!

Lets hope there is a firmware fix soon :-(
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read and hear how the whole GTM 12 issue is being handled the more I'm happier I took my Nuvi 310D back for a refund.

Given the fact that some fairly tricksy technology is involved with a modern GPS unit it shouldn't be wholly surprising that there can occasionally be teething problems. If you accept this then the next thing to consider is how a company deals with a problem when it occurs.

At present Garmin don't appear to be doing much.A simple acknowledgement of the TMC receiver problems on their website and a reassurance that they are working to resolve them would be a start.

Along with a couple of others on here plus those unknown who've decided against after the reading the forums they've now lost my money to TomTom.

I guess the real lesson is don't be an early adopter as it's obviously best to wait a year when all the problems will have been ironed out and the price has come down by a few quid.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in South Yorkshire. On July 28th I travelled down to the New Forest in Hampshire. During the first part of my journey from South Yorkshire my Traffic didn't work. I got to the North Midlands and it then worked all the way down to the New Forest, and for the whole week faultlessly whilst I was in that area. I thought the TMC problems had been fixed. I returned home on the 4th August, and Traffic worked well, giving me accurate and timely updates all the way home. Then about 3 days after I got back, nothing at all. I have not had Traffic since here in South Yorkshire despite updating to the latest firmware releases. I normally receive my signal at home on 105.1 which is Galaxy FM. I wonder if that is where the fault lies?
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficman

That matches basically what I have found. I do however recall that it was during the period of HOT weather which may have allowed a stronger signal to be received.

I had a look last night and the nuvi was trying to lock onto channel 136 which had a level of 2. In the next page (FM Table) there was one entry (press the top of the screen as there is no text) which gave a frequency of Classic FM. We also get Galaxy but it didn't seem to want to try and lock onto that one.

Nb.
Before doing this I tried to search for providers using the normal interface and answered YES to clearing the provider table.

I have sent an email to Trafficmaster regarding signal strength in the North of England but I don't expect a reply any time soon
len73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to Garmin Tech Support. I don't have a Nuvi but my StreetPilot C550 with the GTM21 is having the same problems.

They are sending me out a foam strip !! and a black box containing a ferite ring to attach on the power cable half way between the cigarette adaptor and the c550. This is a short term fix pending a new design of GTMXX with improved power supply that is being developed in the States.

Also sugested that the thin aeriel cable be fixed horizontaly about 5" up the windscreen.

Both are worth a try but I don't thing I'll be holding my breath for very long.
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of people suffering with the Halfords 310D; would this be a generic issue that might affect my 360, would anyone know? thanks much...
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a 310/360 unit fault as such, it's more of a problem with the "add-on's" not working as intended, in this case the GTM 12 not getting enough power from the 310 to work correctly, which we guess is a power supply fault from the ciggy lighter plug, be it line noise or a power reduction lies in the hands of Garmin at the moment.
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT-Mech wrote:
It's not a 310/360 unit fault as such, it's more of a problem with the "add-on's" not working as intended, in this case the GTM 12 not getting enough power from the 310 to work correctly, which we guess is a power supply fault from the ciggy lighter plug, be it line noise or a power reduction lies in the hands of Garmin at the moment.

sorry, yes, I meant: am I likely to see the same problem with *my* GTM12, which is connected to my 360?
i.e. does the noise problem - if that's what it is - also affect the ciggie plug for the 360, or is it a different plug?
I've only just started using mine, and so am not sure whether it's working OK. It *seems* to be, but I have nothing to compare...
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works then when you press the diamond you will get traffic problems listed. If it doesn't or you don't have a signal you will get "No Traffic Data Available".

Firmware version 3.9 is out by the way. About to install it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 16 of 44

Jump to: