Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 520 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 520 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalkarim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Navman 520 update Reply with quote

I recently updated the software on the 520 and now my Navman has gone completely US. It has zipcode for postcode and roundabouts are now traffic circles. I have also noticed thst on approach to a junction/road the distance doesnt update like it used to. It displays 0 miles until the junction is close, whereas before it didnt use to do this. The UK voices have also gone!

ANY IDEAS ON HOW i CAN RESTORE IT BACK TO HOW IT WAS
Kal - Cambridge, UK
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:
The following should fix it:

Choose Preferences / More Preferences /Start up. Ensure Language selection screen is checked/ save. Restart the unit and choose Preferences / Language. Now choose English - UK male or female. save and the job is done.

Terry Walsh
rockyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: language Reply with quote

i tried to do as you said, but still get us male/female options, also distance is still out.
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Navman 520 upgrade Reply with quote

:P You will have to completely uninstall the SmartST2005 software from your Navman and the reinstall the software taking care to click the top of the EnglishUK language version and then follow the on screen prompts. I tried several times to get rid of the american instalation and this was the system which worked for me. I have also not installed the update from the NAVMAN site as this also caused me problems.
A further problem I have found is that the maps I purchased at the end of july'06 do not appear to be the very latest versions ( the discs are labeled Maps for Europe 2004.2 ), I have Emailed NAVMAN support several times to ask just how recent these maps are but as yet have recieved no reply. If the maps are 2 years old whatis the point in upgrading?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the preferences/language and select UK English (and save). Then you need to go to the measurements page and select the correct measurements.

As for the maps - there are a number of posts on this forum regarding how long it takes to get the latest maps to the shop. I think that 2004.2 is TA's 2004, 2nd quater release. After that Navman needs to process the raw data and then test the release before getting the CD's to the shop, where they sit waiting for you to buy them 11 months after they were released.

I beleive Navman have new maps due very soon. These will probably be based on TA 2005, certainly I would be surprised if its later than Q1.2006.

A significant amount of time in getting these to you is the testing. What would you rather have - untested maps or a slightly older one. I can guess the howls of protest that would occur if you got the latest, but they didn't work because they were untested.

The process is slow, and maybe Navman are not the quickest, but all manufacturers have the same problem to some extent.

Navmans is telling you which TA release they have used, rather than the date Navman released the maps. You would be none the wiser if they did the latter. I applaud Navman for there honesty.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert:

While I agree with 90% of what you are saying and am very happy with my ICN520, I have to raise one point. Where in the Navman online shop does it quote the Tele Atlas release. It simply says the very latest maps. I am referring to upgrade maps and not those sold with the device itself. I have e mailed Navman customer support (Not technical support), using their on line form, three times over a 6 month period to query this and have had absolutely no response.

Terry Walsh
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: NAVMAN 520 Upgrade Reply with quote

Robert I would agree partly with what you say, however when the NAVMAN shop advertises an upgrade available containing the latest maps you do expect something more recent that 2004. In their advertisements they make a point of how important it is to have upto date maps due to the constant changes in the road network. If as you point out it takes upto 11 months to proof & test each release of maps { not two years as appears to be the case with the upgrade I bought 2 weeks ago }, then why don't they tell you what the release version it is you are purchaseing. They obviously know that these out of date maps are a problem as they never reply to any Emails asking for feedback regarding map data.
In my case the maps were out of stock when I originaly tried to buy them from NAVMAN so you would have thought when they restocked it would have been with a more recent version as they had no old stock to clear.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first point is if they called the release Q3 2005, which is about when Navman released those maps, you would be moderately happy.

My second point is that you purchased the maps when they had been sitting on the shelf for 11 months. If you had waited till November, and Navman date their next release Q3 2006, you would be estactic, they are a month old. If you then bought those same CD's in July next year, you would be unhappy.

As for the constantly changing road network - what percentage of roads really change in a given year? The problem is they keep fixing errors in (and improving) the map data, not changing the roads.
reddevil63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:

As for the constantly changing road network - what percentage of roads really change in a given year? The problem is they keep fixing errors in (and improving) the map data, not changing the roads.

Not many, more road repair/improvement works which doesn't really affect the network unless its a bypass.
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: NavMan 520 update Reply with quote

I have finaly recieved a response from NavMan Tech Support and they confirm that the maps are 3 years old and say that I should have waited until after September'06 to up grade as this is when they intend to release new? maps. How are you supposed to know this as it isn't meantioned on their web site and you just have to rely on feedback from other users.
I still agree that the NavMan Sat Navs are excellent machines but they should give more thought to support for existing systems and less to developing gimmics for new machines that only a minority of users will utilise {built in cameras syconised to the sat nav to show pictures of locations as you drive through them - shouldn't you be watching the road not the sat nav screen}?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: