Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman icn maps - SmartSt 2005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman icn maps - SmartSt 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Navman icn maps - SmartSt 2005 Reply with quote

Am I alone or just unlucky in finding the mapping quite hopeless? My first trip was to Littlehampton where the system lost me as it had not been amended for the one-way system which must have been there for many years. My second trip to a garage in Horsham close to one of the industrial estates resulted in finding myself in a semi pedestriansed area in the main square of the town - far away from the proper destination. Finally the last straw was that I relied upon the system to take me via the m25 to Chartwell - against my better judgement I ignored the signs for Chartwell and pressed on a instructed. I ended up in the Scratchwood service area harassed by a series of contradictory instructions - turn right and before i had a chance -turn left etc. Several time the system has also instructed my to take a certain turning but as soon as I take it, the system demands a U turn. All very disappointing as this system was not cheap last autumn whn I bought it and I guess there can be no way to fix it as it must surely be the software rather than the hardware???
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I have been in a long comunication with NavMan Tech support regarding how up to date their latest maps are for the ICN 510/520 and they inform me that they are about 3 years out of date, this is annoying as I have just bought the latest map package as advertised on their web site. They also informed me that I should have waited until after September to up grade as they intend to release new maps then { although they don't say how revent theses are}
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I have been in a long comunication with NavMan Tech support regarding how up to date their latest maps are for the ICN 510/520 and they inform me that they are about 3 years out of date, this is annoying as I have just bought the latest map package as advertised on their web site. They also informed me that I should have waited until after September to up grade as they intend to release new maps then { although they don't say how revent theses are}
Miles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since posting my message I discovered that some of the difficulties were being caused by software bugs rather than the maps. I rang the helpline and was advised to update the software and since I performed the upgrade a lot of the unreliabilty seems to have disappeared - eg being asked to take non-existent turnings. On the other hand it is quite common to find roundabouts and bypasses which are simply not on the maps and one asked to return to the road on these occasions! You would have though that at least limited map updates would come with the package, but no such luck!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you read the numerous posts on this and other forums re map data, age and accuracy. Basiclly what it boils down to is that because of the amount of data, and the time it takes for changes to pass through the system from when the road changes to when the maps are purchased, most people have unrealitic expectations of the map accuracy.

I am not arguing if the expectation is right or not. Thats a different discussion. What am saying is that the gap between what customers expect and what the manufacturers (Not just Navman) provide is currently very large.

What to do about it - at the moment live with it as it is, or live without it and don't use GPS based mapping, because it is not going to change in a hurry.

In the future, online connections to internet based servers will mean update deployment happens faster. Add to this position tracking tecnology reporting back to a central server, and in say 10 years, a new or modified road wil be identified almost instantly.
jim67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding accuracy, I saw a program only last year about the way these maps are compiled, I was amazed to find out that they are done by hand !!!! i.e two people driving round in a car and taking notes, sketches and dictaphone messages of new or altered layouts.
This is possibly why maps are out of date when they are released?

Jim.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: