Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I think you're already aware of the 'Halfrauds' thread on the 'Retailers To Buy From or Avoid' forum but there's a template of a letter on there you could complete and use to help get the result you're looking for.

Obviously it depends on how far you want to go but it certainly appears as if Consumer Law is on your side.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RDS

Yes I looked at this thread following your ealier recommendation.

To be honest I don't need the hassle that comes with pursuing this, if I put a value on my leisure time I have already spent several hundred pounds worth of my time phoning and emailing head office and making visits to Halfords and my other half is getting bored of listening to my moaning about this problem (and you can't put a value on a happy wife!) Laughing

If Garmin can't fix the problem then I will need to reconsider my options. I think we have had this conversation before but whilst TomTom are not releasing their receiver Garmin is the only option and unless the TomTom comes bundled and the price drops the total cost is likely to be more than the Nuvi 310D.

Have you had any more thoughts about where you are going to spend your cash?

Nick
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,
Obviously the decision as to how far you pursue things with Halfords is yours, although as I've said I did return my Nuvi.

As for where I might spend my cash I've been using a TT910 for a couple of weeks and have been pretty impressed. Compared to the 310 it initially appeared to be a little more complicated to use.However this was mainly due to the fact that there are a lot more options, many of which can be personally configured. It really only took a couple of days to become familiar with the various menus.
In use the TT doesn't go for as many backroad routes, and as yet haven't been directed down any tiny, narrow lanes, which the Garmin occasionally did. Also despite the posts elsewhere I've not noted any real difference between the mapping, both have found to have the odd bit of information lacking so neither is perfect.
I've not had any 'droopy' mount problems and so far the TT has been very reliable.
For me the only thing the Nuvi has a clear advantage in is size and weight.It's a pack of playing cards compared to a cricket ball.

As I want TMC capability, as you say, currently the Nuvi is about the only choice for me, however as I've started to prefer the 910 I'm going to wait.
Assuming currently advertised prices I believe with a bit of careful shopping a TT710 with TMC aerial probably won't be far off the price of a Nuvi 310D and the 910+TMC being around £50-£60 more will almost certainly be cheaper than a Nuvi 360.
At present I'm quite happy with the fact that Garmin have had problems and I had to return my 310D otherwise I wouldn't have had the extended use of a TT and very possibly changed my mind.
In my opinion if the TTx10 series was the same size as the Nuvi it would be no contest.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RDS

haha...I wish I hadn't asked now! Wink

To be honest I think you are right though, if it wasn't for size the TomTom wins but my final decision was based on the fact I can put the Nuvi in my suit pocket and you don't notice it's there. When I am not in a rush I quite enjoy the back lanes but in Winter when its dark it will be a different matter. Garmin should however be able to sort this out through a firmware update.

Last week I wanted to go Southbound on the A1 and was directed to a junction where I had to cross the carriageway. Yes this was theoretically quicker route but there was a perfectly good roundabout about a mile away which would be the far safer option!

Cheers!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
They did arrange for a new power cable to be sent to me but I could have done this with Garmin directly and this of course has not solved the problem.
It won't - as best I know Garmin don't yet have stocks of the "fixed" car charger.
Quote:
Short of taking their sat-nav "expert" out with me in the car everyday what can i do!?
In this case, stop dealing with Halfords, and deal directly with Garmin, who despite not responding to emails for months, and keeping you on hold for 30 minutes before being able to get to your call are likely to try to resolve your problems on the spot. However, again, right now, I don't believe they have the new charging cable available to help you.
Quote:
If you want a cheap bucket and sponge or some bling bling alloys go to Halfords but not for expensive electronics. I have all but given up and am hoping Garmin will find a solution otherwise I have wasted my money!
To be fair, I didn't buy from Halfords, and I bought knowing full well I was likely to have problems with the traffic until something was done - however, the unit is still excellent (give or take a few improvements Garmin could make) and traffic is wonderful when it work (which is more than I've had before (*)).

(*) - I've never had traffic integrated into my SatNav before, although both my cars have Trafficmaster traffic devices telling me of the conditions ahead.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Traffic Info Reply with quote

Hi

To Swing and n4nick What about the MIO C710, apparently this has a TMC built in and it cost around £340?

David

Byt the way I am off to Halfords tomorrow, so I will report back!

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi deesoft

I think we both looked at this unit earlier in the thread. The views from other users seemed to be that the firmware may not be updated as regularly, the traffic data was from Itis which is not regarded as good as Trafficmaster and I think the maps are Teleatlas, the general view being these are not as up-to-date. I would be interested in trying one but I'm not going to spend my cash on one unless I have heard rave reviews and know that their customer services are good.

nick
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't help the other out there suffering but after initial problems, I managed to get the traffic working on my newly purchased 310d. It seemed to be same old story. Worked on usb but not when sat in car. However, updated to latest firmware at weekend and then set it up in car yesterday and TI came flooding in and was repeatedly refreshed. I'm just waiting for it to stop working now like others on here.
WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, first off, fantastic thread with some great info my next purchase. I have to say, even with all the bad stuff regarding TMC I am still willing to buy one and give it a try.

My question to you all - Are halfords the only supplier of this package with TMC included or is it available elsewehere? Any links would be much appreciative as I have searched the net without much success.

I only ask as if I am not happy with it and wish to return it, i could do without the hassle Halfords give, as could you all.
WOODI2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing - can you let me know where you purchsed yours from?
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Garmin & GTM12 - where purchase from? Reply with quote

Hi WoodI2,

If you are talking about the Garmin 310D including GTM12 then as far as I know this is an exclusive deal to Halfords.
I looked at this option but decided on the Nuvi 360 + GTM12 and bought both of mine from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk who have been extremely reliable and I can thoroughly recommend them. I've bought loads of stuff from them and they can't be faulted.
I'm one of the "lucky" one's whose GTM12 worked straight out of the box and has remained so ever since. I've had a couple od trips where there are "blank" areas of coverage but that's just the way it is, I guess?
You won't be disappointed with the Garmin. I've had other systems and products including TomTom and the portability and ease of use of this product is outstanding. I just love it! :D
ColinG
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Visit to Halfords Reply with quote

Hi
Well today I visited Halfords, thay were very helpful. Thay actually have a telephone number for Garmin that is not available to the general public. The assistant at Halfords has obtained an 'interim fix' for me whcih I will pick up tomorrow. Garmina have admitted that they have 'quite' a problem with 'Traffic Ssytem' and even 'as we speak' they have a team of programmers looking at the problem and rewriting the firmware. The release is due in two to three weeks.
When I have installed the 'interim fix or patch' I will report back.
David

RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the 310D is advertised as a Halfords exclusive Cotswold BMW apparently have it on sale at an online price 10% discount price of £359.10.

http://www.cotswoldstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=306
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesoft what is your "interim fix " another power lead or beta firmware ?
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Interim Fix Reply with quote

Hi Banjo12

I gather the 'interim fix' will be changes in the parameters hidden inside the Nuvi. The assistant at Halfords said that they were too complicated to give over the phone. So 'roll on tomorrow'. Or will I have to wait for tne next firmware upgrade in a couple of weeks time.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 15 of 44

Jump to: