Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie - Help Please with Nuvi 310delux and small brain
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie - Help Please with Nuvi 310delux and small brain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Newbie - Help Please with Nuvi 310delux and small brain Reply with quote

Just bought nuvi 310 delux from halfords and just want to confirm that I have registered it correctly as I'm having problems with traffic info. Went to mygarmin and put in registration code (not 25 digit unlock). It recognised europe mapsource and said it was unlocked and also displayed the 25 digit unlock code that was on my yellow slip of paper. I have then gone into settings/traffic/subscriptions and I can see the RAC lifetime subscription but it gives me a message saying no subscriptions are activated. I was doing this in my garden with the nuvi connected to the mains as I've read the other threads about the power problems etc. Is it just not picking up the traffic info and that when it does it will be ok or do I have to do some more activation/registering as I haven't had to put the 25 digit unlock code in anywhere.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugged into the mains, with the GTM12 connected - do you get any traffic (ignore the no subscription information - that's a sympton of not receiving a strong radio signal)...

If you do, then it's at least working.

The 25 digit code is about unlocking the Mapsource DVD for use with the Nuvi such that you can load European maps onto the unit (best via an additional SD card), and has no bearing on the traffic.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. No traffic info at all. I did a search on providers but it just kept going and going......
I will try it plugged in to usb on computer tonight and then maybe take it for a spin up the M23, otherwise it's going for a spin straight back to Halfords. :x
BTW the charger supplied by halfords is rubbish. Keeps falling out until I taped it in.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you got it powered at the moment then? The best scenario is to plug the USB cable into the back of the Nuvi mount with the GTM12 in the side (the only place it can be fitted).

No traffic could simply indicate that you are in a poor signal area for the radio signal - if the computer is upstairs that might help the test.

What charger supplied by Halfords - the car charger or a mains charger??
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mains charger that fits into the back of the nuvi mount - only just. After I secured it, the nuvi displays charging indicator. It was quite happy to accept the GTM knowing that it was externally powered. I must be in a poor signal area. Will see how computer connection and drive tonight goes. Thanks.
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too picked up a 310D from Halfords just a few days ago. The same day I used it on a 200 mile trip to Cornwall and after about 30 minutes a traffic signal was acquired (although an icon on the map screen would be helpful to know this). The next day I drove around Cornwall and it didn't pick up a signal at all. Coming home it was about an hour before it locked on.
Last night I used webupdater to update to v 2.80 of the unit software (was on v 2.60) and it also offered a new version of the traffic software - v 3.70. On my next journey earlier today, the traffic facility was operational within a couple of minutes of setting off. This was either lucky, or the latest software version has addressed the problem to some extent.

I suggest you might want to try an update
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a go tonight.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Tested upstairs with mains adaptor and got no traffic. Plugged in usb with nuvi in same place and got instant and constant traffic info.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will update software later to see what happens.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the Nuvi 310 doesn't come with a mains adaptor in the box, whatever adaptor you are using could be suffering the same problems as the cigarette charging cable which often results in no traffic info.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but I think the 360 comes with a mains adaptor and that's the one that halfords are supplying with the 310d. Interesting that Garmin say it's to do with an unapproved change to the spec of the cig charger though.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Mains charger Reply with quote

I tried using the mains charger on the Nuvi 360 with the GTM 12 and got traffic info - but it wasn't very sensitive also I think the mains charger plug is only designed to go into the side of the Nuvi to charge the battery out of the mount, as it won't stay in on the back of the mount due to the shape of the plug.
Raty1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 310d from halfords and got a mains charger free, have same problem, just falls out of the back of the cradle, tried to get traffic with it .......no success.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I went into Halfords yesterday, and see what you all mean about a mains charger (I bought my Nuvi 310D elsewhere, so didn't get the charger) - however, as best I can see it's only designed as a charger for the Nuvi, it's not designed to power it, especially not through the rear of the mount.

I suspect the mains charger is showing the same symptons as the cigarette charger, except as that is supposed to work with the traffic modules, Garmin will fix that.
Chrismb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be right, as it works perfectly the moment I switch back to USB.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: