Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor / No satelite reception
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor / No satelite reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Poor / No satelite reception Reply with quote

First day it's rained today with the sat nav in and it was next to useless as My quest 2 couldnt get a signal for more than a minute at atime and then spent 2 minutes trying to get it back.
Didn't think the cloud cover was that bad i could still watch Sky tv when i got home is this a usuall occurance??
Des
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des, rain will attenuate the signals used for GPS but not to the extent your unit should loose the signal, Did you acquire a GPS fix before driving off, this is most important once you are moving the GPS will stuggle to lock on to the signals.
What type of glass is fitted in your vehicle, is it of the heat reflective type? this is known to attenuate the GPS signal.
As for a loss of GPS signals being a "usuall occurance" I would have to say no, set-up correctly the units will work in most weather conditions (very heavy snow might cause a problem) - Mike
Sweep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to mikealder’s comments, I use my sat nav quite infrequently, and as such it forgets its last position (almanac), so the evening before I plan to go away I set up the sat nav and leave it on the window sill (with the window closed!) for 5 minutes whilst I make a cuppa (cuppa is optional by the way).
Next day when I come to use it I can normally acquire a signal within 30 seconds.

Also if I do forget to do the set up the evening before, I always make sure that I acquire a signal before driving off, otherwise the whole trip is blighted by failing signals. A 5 minute wait before setting off is much better than the wife saying “I told you that thing was a waste of money – I don’t know why you don’t want me to map read” – “now take the next left on your right!”

Hope this helps
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweep wrote:
A 5 minute wait before setting off is much better than the wife saying “I told you that thing was a waste of money – I don’t know why you don’t want me to map read” – “now take the next left on your right!”

Hope this helps

I have that model too Smile
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Sweep wrote:
A 5 minute wait before setting off is much better than the wife saying “I told you that thing was a waste of money – I don’t know why you don’t want me to map read” – “now take the next left on your right!”

Hope this helps

I have that model too Smile

I found the patch for this. What you do is drive everywhere in reverse, the next left on your right then appears on your right shoulder. :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: