Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothin' but a deafening silence.

Maybe the reception problems with the Nuvi/GTM12 are more than a simple power lead issue or maybe Garmin aren't taking it seriously.
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: NEW firmware update for GTMxx traffic recievers Reply with quote

Just done a webupdate. A new firmware uopdate for gtm traffic recievers is available (was not there a couple of days ago). Don't know the sw number as of yet but heres hoping it improves things.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added menu option to change splash screen that was taken out in 2.70
Fixed route review page: correctly draw the new turn
Added minor translation fixes for Swedish and French

Does not look promising !
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: NEW firmware update for GTMxx traffic recievers Reply with quote

capsecum wrote:
Just done a webupdate. A new firmware uopdate for gtm traffic recievers is available (was not there a couple of days ago). Don't know the sw number as of yet but heres hoping it improves things.

Updates to GTM 3.7 - still no traffic info. Sad Though does appear to cycle through the channels differently to before (on GTM stats page)
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have received an email from Garmin UK and they said Garmin US are looking into the problem with the 12v supply and the GTM12. They are hoping a permanent fix will be availble in a few weeks but for the time being have indicated that using a suppression kit can improve the situation (not sure what this is?!) so fingers crossed that this might be resolved soon!

After updating to GTM3.6 at the weekend I received reception almost immediately this morning, even before the GPS! Unfortunately the messages soon dissapeared from the screen and the usual message appeared but according to diagnostics screen messages were still being receieved despite the signal being low (5/6). Restarted the Nuvi and this seemed to fix the problem and received TMC all the way to work. Will give it another test this afternoon.

Does anyone receive emails from Garmin regarding updates? I have registered but never do. If GTM3.6 is working for me I probably won't update to 3.7!

Banjo12 - if you return your Nuvi to Halfods please let us know how helpful they were.

Cheers -Nick
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those getting confused by the firmware updates, in the last day Garmin have released 2 new and different firmware updates:

- Firstly, they have released an updated firmware for the Nuvi 310/360 itself (v2.80) which fixes a number of little things introduced with the v2.07 firmware

- Secondly, they have released a new GTM firmware, moving it from v3.60 to v3.70, but unfortunately, Garmin do not provide any details on what they fix with these updates, so we don't know what's changed.

However, the v3.60 GTM firmware did seem to cycle through a whole range of frequencies, all the way from 1 upto 150 - whereas the UK radio stations are all in the 80-150 area, so producing a new firmware that concentrates the searching into the right band might be a good start (once people have a working power cable) Smile
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
which fixes a number of little things introduced with the v2.70 firmware
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a possible solution to this whole problem coming, and it's coming from Garmin....

On another forum, someone received the following response from Garmin:

Quote:
"We've finally uncovered the cause of the GTM issues.
The company producing the cigerette adapters changed the design without informing us, and the effect of this was severe signal noise getting into the antena.
You'll be glad to know that the UK is the only country affected by this though, because the broadcasted traffic information is a far stronger signal everywhere else in Europe.
The solution to this is a redesigned adapter power cable, however it sounds like you have found your own solution to this issue"

Now, I've got no information on how Garmin intend to offer replacement, or even when they will have the new power cable available, but it does at least indicate that Garmin have come to the same conclusion as some of us - the charging cable was impacting the GTM unit by reducing the signal strength (to be fair we thought it was a power problem, not a noise problem).

Also interesting that Garmin acknowledge the UK has much weaker signals, again something that was suspected by many.

I think this is a nice positive move forward, but we will have to wait and see how we can resolve this completely.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that swing, but after waiting for two weeks for an e-mail response and hanging on the phone for 15 minutes today without getting through I am not pleased at all.

Perhaps a barrage of e-mails from all of us threatening to return these sub standard units might get some action ?
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do they mean "you will be glad to know that only the UK is affected" that is very good of them and if the design of these chargers has been altered, for the worse may I add, why can they not send us all a charger built before this problem.

This gets better and better.
Raty1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a nuvi 310 and cannot get tmc, spoke to garmin today, they know about the problem and took my name and address and said will send out a new cable when they get them!?, will wait and see
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a 310D in the last week and have been very pleased overall with its performance in taking me to Cornwall from Surrey and a few days around about in Cornwall. Receiving a traffic signal was very slow, particularly in Cornwall but once up and running was never dropped.

The unit was supplied with v.2.60 software which I have just upgraded to v.2.80 but where do I find the GTM version 3.70 upgrade? I cannot find it on the list of downloads available on the Garmin site. My unit currently shows the software version as N/A but as I said, I have used the Traffic feature with a reasonable amount of success.
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeoman wrote:
The unit was supplied with v.2.60 software which I have just upgraded to v.2.80 but where do I find the GTM version 3.70 upgrade?

If you plug your unit in and run web updater it will tell you you have the latest version 2.8 of the GPS firmware. Webupdater will then give you the option to search for further updates. IF you do this it will give you the option to download and install GTM 3.70. NB it will only tell you there is new firmware for GTMxxx.

Hope this works for you.
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capsecum, I'll give it a try
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line noise answer seems interesting, I wonder if they intend to fit a ferrite bead to the cable, much the same as you get on your PC monitor lead.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&criteria=clip%20on%20Ferrite%20Bead%20&doy=16m8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 13 of 44

Jump to: