Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 - setting a location
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 - setting a location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yeoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310 - setting a location Reply with quote

Forgive me if my query seems a bit basic. I am a seasoned GPS user (for about 3 years using first CoPilot then TomTom on an iPaq with a Transplant jacket) but have only acquired my 310D within the last week and am still playing with it.
I have been building up a list of my 'favourites', some of which it is perfectly adequate to enter by postcode or address. This isn't always good enough however. If an address doesn't include a house number, the postcode or address will only put the destination in the reasonable vicinity. I have found that I can set a location using the 'browse map' facility but this presuposes that I know where to look on the map. The map defaults to the current location and there seems no easy way to find the town or area I want to zoom in on. I can enter a town in the address facility and then opt for 'show map' but I cannot then pick a spot on that map to set as my destination or save as a favourite.
Am I missing a trick?

So far I think the Nuvi 310 is a terrific neat piece of kit and it certainly picks up a GPS signal much quicker than my old TomTom/PDA configuration. Features I have however been used to and would further enhance the Nuvi include:

A solution to the above
A greater range of road classifications in the 'avoids' - Are 'highways' simply motorways or do they include trunk roads? The ability to avoid minor paved roads would be a plus (as I discovered in Cornwall a few days ago!)
The ability to call up the planned route and opt to avoid sections.
The ability to insert more than one waypoint in a route
The ability to calculate an alternative route rather than simply use the 'detour' facility. If 'detour' is selected, how far is it before you are rerouted back to the original ?
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yeoman

All constructive comments...suggest you email Garmin customer support and keep your fingers crossed that they are incorporated in a future firmware update! :D

Nick
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur that the multiple waypoint option would be a definite plus. Also the routing selection can be a bit suspect at times.

For some reason mine doesn't like the corner at the end of my road. If I set my start point 50yds from the corner, and the end point 50 yds round the corner, it will take me on a 2.7 mile round trip heading in the opposite direction to avoid going round the corner, and I have no idea why. It's not even a particularly nasty corner.

I've tried getting it to calculate the route as if I was a pedestrian or on a bicycle, but it still prefers to take me on the 2.7 mile round trip!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: