Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions about Nuvi 310D **Please Help**
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about Nuvi 310D **Please Help**
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I think that in the tomtom forum there was a similar discussion regarding the 510 and 910. A gps whiz managed to get the 510 to announce street names but this is not a feature provided by tomtom. I think however there were legal issues surrounding this and tomtom may have said they will be "releasing" a fix in the next firmware upgrade to stop the 510 being used in this way. Perhaps the position is similar with the 310, it has the capacity for TTS although for some reason this is not a supported feature in Europe.

Nick
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah !! Being based in Australia explains one thing however at the same time it does raise the question as to why the Australian Nuvi 310 does have TTS when the US and European units don't ?

Looking on the link you provided I couldn't see a Nuvi 360 available so maybe the Australian distributor only wanted the one model and this is a special unit just for downunder.
ililh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS, my Instruction Manual say Nuvi 310/360 but my internal memory isn't as large as the US 360's. I have about 170 MB free.

Australia sells 300 and 310 models. The 300 link is here.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_nuvi300.aspx

I bought mine a few weeks ago and had my maps destroyed by that firmware upgrade. They replaced my unit. I'll be cautious with firmware upgrades in the future.
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the 310 was the same as the 360, but with UK only mapping.

In the same way that the 300 is the same as the 350 (ie UK as opposed to European) but also lacking TTS and Bluetooth when compared to the 310/360.

Perhaps I got that bit wrong, but it was what I believed upto now.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Memory Reply with quote

Sorarse wrote:
I was under the impression that the 310 was the same as the 360, but with UK only mapping.

In the same way that the 300 is the same as the 350 (ie UK as opposed to European) but also lacking TTS and Bluetooth when compared to the 310/360.

Perhaps I got that bit wrong, but it was what I believed upto now.

I believe you will find that the 300/310 has something like 200 or 250MB of internal memory, whereas the 350/360 has 700MB.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a 310 I'd say the US/European 310 definitely doesn't have TTS and doesn't come with European street level mapping already loaded on.This is due to a smaller memory capacity than the 360.The 310 does, however, have European street level maps included on a Garmin Mapsource DVD. These can be loaded on, although an SD card will be needed for larger regions or countries as there isn't enough spare memory for the whole lot.

The 360 differs from the 310 in that it has a larger memory and so does come with TTS and European street level maps loaded.

As far as I understand it the 300 is the equivalent to the 310 but just without bluetooth and the 350 is the same as the 360 but again lacks bluetooth.

I think some of the confusion between the 310/360 and TTS is that they both come with the same instruction manual and some sections apply to just the 360.

Having said all that it appears as if the Nuvi 310 available in Australia is for some reason more like the US/European 360 and it doesn't look as if a 360 is sold Downunder.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
The 310 does, however, have European street level maps included on a Garmin Mapsource DVD. These can be loaded on, although an SD card will be needed for larger regions or countries as there isn't enough spare memory for the whole lot.
The Nuvi 310D bundle includes the European DVD and the GTM12 traffic module, but a standard 310 doesn't come with the DVD...
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: software set me thinking Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could swap software from the 350?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, if you load the 350 software onto a 310 or a 360 you would lose Bluetooth support.

However, the firmware for the 310 and the 360 is the same - ie the decision as to whether TTS will work is based on the firmware looking at the hardware and deciding for itself - there doesn't appear to be an easy way to fool this.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely in the interest of experimentation it would be fun to run a copy of the software / data supplied on an Australian nuvi 310 on a European nuvi 310, just to see what happens. Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh indeed it would, although I have to say, I think they have for some obscure reason taken the 360 and sold it as the 310, as it seems to have the spec of the 360...
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: TTS for 310 Reply with quote

I must admit that I would indeed look more closely at the code for both units if I had a 360 or 350 there may be a work around.

I personally think that the firmware is open to be changed looking at my 310, I will have to get back to you.
Mr_Big
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did say that I would update folks but unfortunately after 2 weeks of trialing the nuvi 310, I had an unexpected visitor during the night break into the house and steal my sat nav. I was having great fun with the nuvi 310 and apart from the unit having a bit of bother upgrading the Bluetooth firmware, everything else was going great.
I have informed Garmin to update their stolen unit database and I had the Garmin Lock pincode feature turned on so let’s see if the unit turns out to be of any use to the next owner.
May the thief’s next victim own a very large Doberman Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: