Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3 V3.10 software problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3 V3.10 software problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 V3.10 software problems. Reply with quote

I downloaded the latest V3.10 s/w to my i3 last week and although it seemed on the face of it to be operating correctly, the GPS engine was taking forever to acquire satellites - sometimes up to 10 to 15mins to get a fix!! Decided today to reinstall V2.70 just to se what happened. Bingo!! unit acquired a fix in less than 15 secs - just like when I first bought it (with 2.7 s/w!). This reload removed all ny "favourites", so I wondered if they had been causing the problem with V3.10. Reloaded V3.10 again - and the slow acquisition reappeared. Back to 2.70 and the unit operated properly.

My conclusion must be that V3.10 is just not fit for purpose, and that anyone experiencing similar slow acquisition times think about reverting to V2.70!! I intend to relay my findings to Garmin directly, already having emailed them with a complaint. I had thoughtthat the i3 was suffering some sort of incipient hardware failure - but now I know different - V3.10 is c**p.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: My V3.10 Software seems OK! Reply with quote

Hi peter34,

I have two i3's running on 3.1 updates and both seem to operate OK after acquiring a fix, usually in under one minute.

However, the major concensus of opinion within this site seems to point to the fact that V2.70 firmware is the most stable and reliable.

Apart from losing favourites, are their any significant problems with moving back from V3.10 to V2.70?

I don't have many favourites selected in my i3's and I wonder if the number of favourites stored in the i3 affects the satellite acquisition time?

It will be interesting to see what Garmin have to say if you would be good enough to let us know.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D
peter34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 V3.10 software problems. Reply with quote

Robert,

I will certainly post any reply from Garmin to let you know the score, but they say that at the moment their response time could be 5 - 7 days, so don't hold your breath!.

When I reinstalled V3.10 for the second time, there were no favourites in the system, and it still returned to the bad old (new!) ways - odder and odder.

However, I do have all the latest speed camera info loaded - and that didn't get wiped. Maybe that had something to do with it. Don't really want to get rid of that - much too valuable to loose!!

Peter Harrison[/u]
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter,

I will keep a lookout for your response to Garmin's explanation if, and when, you get it. (I believe from reading other notes in these forums that Garmin are quite good at customer support, so hope it works out for you OK!)

I totally agree with you that the latest speed camera data is the most important thing (after recently receiving a speeding ticket!).

That is why I think that subscription to this site is extremely worthwhile, as apart from the advise and info. in these forums, the regularly updated speed camera database which is a free service for registered members is extremely good value for money.

If you inadvertantly delete the speed camera data from your GPS you can just down load it again.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

peter34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Robert, I do keep up to date on the camera database - can't afford to risk getting into the clutches of the money grabbers and the sly little men hiding behind hedges with their malfunctioning laser guns!!

Couldn't agree more with you on the usefulness of this site - best value for money around!!

Regards,

Peter
Phill_1981
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my i3 on latest firmware over 10mins to get a fix on sunday on a trip back from the coast...

...it was very cloudy though and I just thought that may be the reason? Question
peter34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phill_1981,

That sounds familiar - I assume you mean V3.1 when you refer to the latest software. If you want to try earlier versions, they can be downloaded from this link.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/streetpilot/sp_ix/

Installing V2.70 might cure the problem as it did for me. Good luck.

Peter Harrison
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you backdate the firmware you will loose Your Favourites. You can however back them up with EasyGps and put them back after the update!

POI(ie speedcams) won't be lost in any event!

I hope this helps!
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 Firmware Comparison Reply with quote

Hi,

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I have two i3's, each loaded with V3.10 Firmware.

They both came with loaded internal memory and both work OK, usually acquiring a satellite fix within 30 seconds.

However, after reading of other members problems in this thread, especially that of getting initial satellite locks in an acceptable time, I am considering loading V2.7 or V2.8 Beta onto one of my i3's and then trying them side by side on a long journey to see if there is any significant difference.

From what I have read I will only lose "My Favourites" on the i3 I back load the firmware on, and that will not be a problem.

I will probably be doing this in about a weeks time when I will be driving from County Durham to Cornwall so that should be a good test.

Will let you know the results when I get back late August.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

peter34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: EasyGPS Reply with quote

Looks as though EasyGPS only works on Win 2000 and XP, can you confirm that for me. Looks most interesting though - might have a crack at it anyway just to see if it works in my system.

I'm still using Win98SE with complete satisfaction (no rude comments please!)

Peter Harrison

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: