Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM RIDER 'IN CAR' SPEAKER
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM RIDER 'IN CAR' SPEAKER
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM RIDER 'IN CAR' SPEAKER Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas about solving the non built in speaker problem for the car on the T T rider? I want to be able to use the T T Rider in the car but can't stand ear pieces and dangling wires, just need a mono speaker. Any advice would be appreciated. :P
Dead_duck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought a TTRider and would be very much interested in this too.

My current idea is to buy a set of neat battery operated (amplified) walkman speakers and use one of them hooked up to the bluetooth headset.

The speaker could be easily mounted under the dash and a small tab of velcro on the back of the bluetooth unit could stick it to the dash.

Only problem is that the jack plug for the bluetooth unit is smaller than a standard 1.8mm.
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Speaker problem Reply with quote

I went to Maplins today, bloody useless. Meant to be an electronics shop, waste of time. How difficult can it be to make a simple mono speaker with single jack??? I was wondering if a bluetooth speaker would do the job, seen these on a site called zoodex.co.uk Not sure if it would connect up with the phone and directly with the TT rider, just seems too complicated when all one needs is a normal, small, sodding speaker!!! Evil or Very Mad
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at clubtomtom.com and i wasn't able to find anything. I'll keep you posted if I see anything.

How do you like the Rider otherwise?
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: TT Rider Reply with quote

Hi, yes please do that!

The rider is very good, just like the TT 700 I had (minus the speaker). I just upgraded the software to the latest map and it performs well. Seems well built and solid but we will see!

Cheers. 8)
Dead_duck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bothered about using the phone in the car with the TTRider, just want to be able to hear the instructions without having to wear that earpiece!

I'm off to Maplins here in Sheffield today and see if they're any help.

The only other way I can think of doing this is to get a spare earpiece/helmet speaker, cut the end off and graft a standard jack onto it. Probably easily done, but an expensive way of doing it - why didn't TomTom just put a speaker in the unit with a rubber cover for while on the bike?!
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: TT Rider speaker! Reply with quote

Hi, it would be a bonus to have the telephone but I feel the same. Just want to hear the directions without an earpiece. I don't think Maplins will be able to help, is there anywhere else we could try?
Dead_duck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, from Maplins I bought myself a mono 3.5 jack lead, a metal 2.5mm plug - same size as bluetooth jack and a 3.5mm line socket.

The 2.5mm plug I got has two black bands on it rather than three, these will be the stereo channels, the third on the TT plug will be for the mic I presume - though the TT is mono??!!?

So anyway, I fashioned a cable which connects the bluetooth headset out to a PC speaker (to test). Sound does come out but it is extremely poor quality and there is a constant whine. All is earthed properly and the connections are good, though I don't have a soldering iron. Occasionally however, I seemed to get really good sound out of it and decent volume! No amount of wiggling or connection fiddling would bring the quality back - even temporarily. I don't know what is going on there. I'm no electrical expert.

As a backup plan - bit extreme this and I don't recommend it - I cut the earphone off the TT supplied cable and attempted to graft the 3.5 jack socket onto the end. My thinking was that I could connect to a speaker with a 3.5mm cable - or could attach a pair of headphones if I needed to.

The two wires within the cable are extremely thin and when connected in all manner of configurations would not produce sound of any sort - not even a crackle!

I'll try messing with the made up cable some more and will post if I get a decent permanent result from this. I get the impression that it might not even need amplifying which is a result!
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, this sounds a bit extreme! Thanks for letting me know and I hope you can get it right. I think that a computer speaker may be a bit big??? I am not technical either, just a vague thought... I look forward to your next post! Good Luck Dead Duck!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution, cutting off plugs, joining wires and the use of the wrong type of connector (three pole 2,5MM instead of 4 pole - from what you describe) could easily damage the audio output amplifier in your device - you really need to obtain a wiring diagram to understand what is going on, without the correct pin out certain conection in the device will be shorted out due to the lack of the extra plastic insulator.

Of note you say your 2,5MM plug has two black plastic bands, this would indicate three seperate electrical connections, the 2,5MM Mono plug from Maplins ony has a single Balck plastic band (part number JK00A), the use of this connector will short out three of the connections in the Rider if it is the plug you are using.
If you have the addaptor part number FA94C this has three bands but even this will short out two of the connections coming out of the Rider.

In addition to the above the impedance of an ear piece will be significantly different to that of a speaker taken from a PC, if the correct impedance is not presented to the Rider you stand a chance of overloading the amplifier, it might work, but I don't know how long it will last.

I assume the device isn't still under warranty, if it is I would stop right now and look for additional information (technical pin outs, impedance levels etc) - Mike
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: TT Rider speaker! Reply with quote

Mike, is it not possible that one can just buy a small mono speaker with a 2. 5 mm jack to fit the bluetooth receiver? I cannot believe that in this day and age with all the advanced technology available, we cannot have a speaker for our tt riders, it'smadness or maybe just narrow minded design!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its down to madness or narrow minded design, if the unit was intended to work in this mannor, suitable connections would have been made available.
The problem is that a small ear piece speaker will have a considerably higher impedance than a small speaker, the resultant load this changed speaker will present to the Rider unit could easily overload the output stage damaging the Rider, as I said before you might get it to work, but I wouldn't like to say how long it will work for.
If you can get the correct pin out for the connector, and the expected impedance of the headset then its a relatively simple job to hook this up in a safe way.
I know one of the other Moderators uses a Rider in the car, the audio is played through a Bluetooth speaker see HERE, not as cheap as a bit of wire and a few connectors, but at least it is safe, non damaging and it works.
There is some other information on this subject HERE although I suspect they are using "powered" speakers, at least the pinouts are listed though via one of the links - Mike
nharrisn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could wait for this although I suspect it will be pricey:

Bluetooth Wireless Technology for your TomTom

With TomTom Car Connect you can wirelessly play mp3s*, relay phone calls* and navigation instructions through the car stereo, as well as automatically switch from day to night view when you turn on the headlights.
Built-in behind the dashboard, TomTom Car Connect gives you invisible integration between your TomTom and your car.

* Check the features available on your TomTom

This accessory is compatible with TomTom GO 300**, 500**, 510**, 700**, 710**, 910** and TomTom RIDER**

Believe it will be similar to the Scosche unit which is available and for which you would only need to buy a receiver www.scosche.com

Nigel
Rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: TT Rider speaker! Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for the invaluable information and link to the bluetooth option. This is pricey option but I think the best solution. I shall buy one shorty. Cheers. Rider! Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it was cheap, although I think Tim managed to find one for around £40 so have a shop around, its certainly cheaper than damaging your device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: