Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Obsolete camera data not being updated
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Obsolete camera data not being updated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Obsolete camera data not being updated Reply with quote

I have reported the same 6 mobile cameras for removal from the database in June and July on the A19 in Tyne and Wear and Durham. They were 50mph cameras that were that were in temporary roadworks that have been removed returning the road to 70mph. I downloaded this months database and hey presto, they are still there.

The camera references are 17515, 17516, 16983, 16420, 16981, 16982. They are very annoying as they are spread out over a 5 mile interval and it ends up that I turn my GPS off which is pretty stupid.

I also reported a Gatso in Northumberland that was not on the database and this has not been added - nor have I received my subscription refund.

I am using the facility provided on your website and getting emails from you to say you have received my update - it just seems you aren't bothered with us northerners?

Bing, bing, bing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't Post the same Topic twice. I'll delete the other.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I thought it was a different forum...its not very easy to tell which one is which as the names aren't particularly helpful
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry...I thought it was a different forum...its not very easy to tell which one is which as the names aren't particularly helpful

Rolling Eyes

Still don't post twice even if it is a different forum....
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information regarding forum rules...

Do you have any information that might explain my original query?

It's a bit of a worry if the database is not being updated with information provided by users. I thought that was one of the basic principles behind the database and its unique selling point?
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Obsolete camera data not being updated Reply with quote

craigsmith wrote:
I have reported the same 6 mobile cameras for removal from the database in June and July on the A19 in Tyne and Wear and Durham. They were 50mph cameras that were that were in temporary roadworks that have been removed returning the road to 70mph. I downloaded this months database and hey presto, they are still there.

probley not enough people verifing these so wont get removed/added

Quote:
The camera references are 17515, 17516, 16983, 16420, 16981, 16982. They are very annoying as they are spread out over a 5 mile interval and it ends up that I turn my GPS off which is pretty stupid.

Remove these yourself then you wont have to turn it off

Quote:
I also reported a Gatso in Northumberland that was not on the database and this has not been added - nor have I received my subscription refund.

see first answer and as for subs refund you will be luckey Laughing

Quote:
I am using the facility provided on your website and getting emails from you to say you have received my update - it just seems you aren't bothered with us northerners?

it's the same no matter where you from[/quote]
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - bit of a worry isn't it?

The silence from the GPS World crew isn't very reassuring...obviously this is a flaw with the database (i.e. it is not being updated iproperly?).

How many reports does it take before a camera is added or removed?

I trusted this database to be accurate, obviously this is not the case.

Would anyone from GPS World be as good as to comment?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi craigsmith,

Sorry, been away with the wife this weekend. I work most weekends, but she who must be obeyed won out Wink

Still managed to attend a PocketGPSWorld.com business meeting though :D

Our verification system is explained on the FAQs page at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213

Quote:
Q. How can I get Free Lifetime Membership?

A. Your active paid subscription will be extended free for life if you report just one previously unreported, deleted or altered static speed camera position. (Must consequently be verified by PocketGPSWorld.com.) We monitor all submissions very carefully and you will be notified if we use your submission. If you are successful we will let you know (there is no need to send us an email to check) and automatically extend your current membership. You must be a current paid member and your account must be active to benefit from this offer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. I've submitted a brand new camera, but I haven't received my free membership. Why?

A. We get 100s of submissions every month and it is not unusual for new cameras to be submitted by several different people.

The verification process can take about a month, but is often sooner.

You will receive a separate Free Lifetime Membership email if you have submitted a camera that is consequently verified by us and you were the first to submit it. If you don't receive a email, please check http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Your_Account every now and then to see if we have extended your subscription. If we haven't, then your submission wasn't successful.

Where the submission was both verified and first, we will of course always extend all memberships automatically whether or not there is email communication, for instance if your ISP blocked our email as commercial.

For general information it is worth noting that we get dozens of incorrect entries (middle of fields, North Sea etc.). These are not malicious, just genuine mistakes with submitters entering the wrong data. So whilst someone is absolutely certain that they've submitted a camera position, it isn't necessarily so that we have included their data.

We also sometimes, though rarely, have to wait longer than we would hope for some cameras to be verified. Overall, we're pleased to report that month on month the quality and volume is increasing, but, by the very nature of the beast, inevitably the odd camera might take a bit of time putting in an appearance.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Why might my submission be rejected?

A. There may be a number of reasons:

* Duplicate of earlier submission
* Incorrect co-ordinates
* Unknown camera type
* Verified as not at location specified
Q. Can I have free lifetime membership if I report a mobile camera?

A. Sorry, no. Mobiles are problematical for verification, but please continue to report them - these submissions are still very useful to us.

Hope this helps.

PS
Quote:
it just seems you aren't bothered with us northerners?

You tell that to the Northern guys who work on the PocketGPSWorld.com team. Next thing you know is we'll be accused of ignoring all those soft "suverners" Smile
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsmith wrote:
Thanks for the advice - bit of a worry isn't it?

The silence from the GPS World crew isn't very reassuring...obviously this is a flaw with the database (i.e. it is not being updated iproperly?).

How many reports does it take before a camera is added or removed?

I trusted this database to be accurate, obviously this is not the case.

Would anyone from GPS World be as good as to comment?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your input and comments. I was out most of last week which is why this post has been unanswered.

We take great care with all submissions to the database processing over 100 modifications a day. It is possible that very occasionally some submissions may not be processed correctly, but we will have the history in the database for followup queries like this.

I have discovered that you have submitted 2 cameras a mobile and a gatso. The mobile you reported had already been reported by another user and was activated on the 5/4/06 this should be in the current database. The Gatso was reported by another user on 4/6/06 and verified on the 17/6/06 this is on the A1068 at the junction with Hadston Road and is GATSO:20253@50 in the current database release.

I can see the removal requests in the database, but these have not yet been verified, therefore according to our policy the cameras must remain until they have been verified. I appreciate that this may be somewhat irritating if you pass these every day, but the consequences of removing an active camera could be far worse.
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I am reassured

Regards

Craig
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi craig. only just seen this while searching the forum for something completely unrelated!

i have now dealt with these camera's as we had already had a removal request for them.

all i can suggest is that if you had used the submission page and marked them as 'to be removed' then they would have been a long time ago...

cheers

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: