Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Puzzled by Nuvi software update to 3.60
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzled by Nuvi software update to 3.60
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had an e-mail advising of a software update (2.40 to 2.50 on a 360) so I updated. Has to be said that I think Garmin have introduced more problems than they solved with this one. It's interesting that Garmin also only list 2.40 as an update on their website (something they are not telling us?)

Needless to say I have now reverted to version 2.40 and await further developments.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new update is now available but it's a BETA version, and to be installed at your own peril. the new update is 3.62
Chris_Fitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, it states its an upgrade from 3.30 to 3.62 beta. I wonder what happens then if you have 3.60 installed as a lot of downloaded?

Rather not find out myself for now. Sad
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've finally managed to restore my Nüvi300 back to version 3v30 after the disaster I had with 3v60 and everything appears to be "back to normal", thank goodness.

I see that 3v60 has been replaced with version 3.62BETA which I have downloaded but not yet installed as I'm a bit hesitant after the 3v60 fiasco!

The "what's new" specs appear to be identical to what was in 3v60. Has anybody tried the 3v62BETA yet and if so have you had any problems?

Since buying my Nüvi300 last December I have gone through 2v40, 2v60, 2v90 3v10 and 3v30 with no problems and have been highly delighted with it, so I feel sure this is just a 'one-off' problem. My guess is it was something to do with the GCDUPATE thingy to bring it in line with other Garmin products.
Platypus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a nuvi 300 with Germany map. I installed 3.60. The map disappeared not immediately but the next day. Then I installed the replaced 3.30. Map of Germany still will not appear. Reset does not work. Garmin does not answer since more than a week. I wonder if they can build an update which will restore a damaged map file (img). As I own an Alps Region SD and this works fine, I could imagine an SD with Germany, in order to be able to navigate where I usually am on the road. But Garmin does not care or answer.
As I read in another forum, that UK maps did disappear after updating, I think that Garmin will have a very big problem worldwide. Better to return the nuvi to the dealer, because it is only 2 months old?
Regards
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have a backup of the unit before you upgrading the firmware? If so, you can put back the now corrupt map file. If not, I think it's either back to the dealer or Garmin.
Platypus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Silly me,
I have a lot of never needed backups but not (did not find) this important one. I could not imagine that something like this would occur. By the way, somebody told he had a backup of the map and quite a bit of trouble to cheat the system Garmin did develop.
clio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 350 software update ver 3.60 Reply with quote

Doe's anyone know whats going on with this update? I downloaded it and was left with my nuvi non functioning and a message on screen saying "system software missing". I eventually got it up and running again with the help of some files from Garmin but have since noticed the download has been taken away from their web site. then a few days later version 3.62 beta appeared for download with a disclaimer saying"although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk"
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the upgrade to 3.62 has now vanished as well. I have just checked the Garmin website and the latest upgrade now showing is from 3.20 to 3.30.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 350 software update ver 3.60 Reply with quote

clio wrote:
Doe's anyone know whats going on with this update? I downloaded it and was left with my nuvi non functioning and a message on screen saying "system software missing".
The "System software missing" error is not as a result of loading the now withdrawn 3.60 update, it's something that can happen with any firmware update. I assume you downloaded the firmware using the WebUpdater - personally, although this is fine for all other updates, it's not recommended by many at the moment because of a small fault (which you have hit)...

If the download fails early, WebUpdater will still try to apply it to the unit, resulting in the problem you had - as it doesn't check the full file has downloaded it has this problem. As a result, it's best to download the whole file manually and apply it that way.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem after installing the now withdrawn 3v60.
When I tried to re-install 3v30 using the WebUpdater it would connect, start to install and go into "Not Responding".

Luckily I still had the original (downloaded) 3v30 update on my system so I just doubleclicked that and everything went OK and I'm now back to normal using 3v30.

Didn't know there was a problem with the WebUpdater till I read Swings' post but I prefer to download updates anyway so that I have them on hand for re-installation if ever they're needed.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Didn't know there was a problem with the WebUpdater till I read Swings' post but I prefer to download updates anyway so that I have them on hand for re-installation if ever they're needed.
I suspect Garmin would argue there's nothing wrong with WebUpdater, and it is a rare problem to hit, but as more and more people run the updater, the odd problem does happen.
Platypus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) I did not use webupdater at first.
b) the error message I still get even after installing 3.30 instead of 3.60
is "map not available". The map seems available, existing, but
may be corrupt.
c) I do not believe that webupdater has something to do with this
d) an additional map I bought on SD will be loaded and shown.
So I think it is not directly the system. The system cannot load
the pre installed Germany map.
I guess that garmin could offer a solution
with a downloadable new map.

e) even with 3.60 just installed I could use the navigation for one night.
Problem occured on the next day. Garmin still does not care to
answer E-Mail or post a new FAQ.
sunman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the map dissapearing is one of the bugs in 3.6 . have a look at this thread

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43040

in short if you downgrade to 3.3 and the map still isnt there then its send it back to garmin time ( if its under warranty ) so they can reload the map etc FOC although this thread is about UK maps other pre installed maps may be affected too. it took me 30 mins to get through to garmin support when i spoke to them yesterday
Platypus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that they would send me a new map or a patch file for download. But Garmin does not answer any e-mail. It is more than 7 to eight working days. Today was the ninth working day since my first try.
I think they will not answer my request to have the device repaired anyway. I never had contact with a company so helpless or clumsy as Garmin. Why don't they just write a line at their homepage saying that they try to find a solution and ask to keep cool. Who would ever buy another Garmin device again.
It does not seem wise to return the device to the dealer, because I have got another map on SD which will work, but only when I am - seldom - in the map's region.
Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: