Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Experience with 550 on recent trip
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with 550 on recent trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Experience with 550 on recent trip Reply with quote

Made a trip from Newcastle Upon Tyne to Cornwall. The 550 took us there via Manchester and turned an 8 hour trip into 10 hours and an extra 100 miles after becoming totally confused around Manchester. In Cornwall we used it to reach a National Trust site and it sent us the long way around through many one lane roads when there was a very straight forwarded route there. Oddly enough when I set up a route back home it showed the correct mileage but the instruction list indicated using the A30 to the M42. Looking on the AA maps I could find no connection between the two roads. I suspect tht it might have taken us vis the M5 even though it did not show it on the list but by then I had lost confidence in the unit and consigned it to the boot and plotted a simple route vis the A30 to the M5 to the M42 to the A42 to the M1 and home. The settings are maximize the use of motorways and minimize the use of Urban roads.

I have the traffic module, which failed to route us around any of the many traffic backups, even though it was set to automatic rerouting.

I like many of the features on the unit and it has worked ok for a number of short trips in the North but my overall experience is not good, especially since I am still waiting for the answer to a question posed to the manufacturer back in January.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame TeleAtlas. They do the mappings for Navman....

There's also NavTeq, which Navman used to use....
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried plotting the route from Teesside to Cornwall on my ICN 520. It came up with the not unexpected A1 - M1 - M42 - M5 etc.

I then tried Teesside - Tyneside - Cornwall. Then I got A1 - M62 - M60 - M6 M5 etc.

I don't understand why if you come from Tyneside you are expected to use the M62 and if from Teesside you don't use the M62.

This just appears to be some quirk in the route plotting software and nothing to do with the map makers.
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the contect of SATNAV are urbun roads dual carrageways ? or simply not morowrays ? I find if I sey my 520 preference for urban roads to 75% and 25% back from quickest it usually takes the route I would have planned.
Geoff
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This technology is very new, and you have to be careful not to trust it blindly. The map data is not 100% accurate, and the routing is at best a clever computer program. Throw in a few bugs (quirks?) and it's a recipe for disillusionment.
So if you want perfection, ask your wife, because if she is like mine shes always right 8O. Otherwise use your iCN, but don't trust it. Preview each trip just to make sure it looks reasonable.
As for traffic, the traffic module is only as good as the information it recieves.

Cheers.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the various comments. I am not turned off using satnav, having quite successfully used my Garmin Vista for navigation, even though I really bought it for treking. I am hopeful that Navman might resolve some of the issues that I and some others have raised.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that with all the preference sliders centred on my ICN520 it gives me the same route as on line mapping software such as Multimap. I have used it this way for several long trips (Telford to Sunderland for example) as well as touring the Lake District and it has not let me down. In fact on the Sunderland Trip we also had a Tom Tom Go 300 in the car and that wanted to go via Manchester (the best way, in my opinion is up the A38 to the M1).

Terry Walsh
NedKelly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a 530 after previously having a 610 and experiencing a similar problem.(towing a caravan and being routed down single track lanes in WSouth Wales).

My 610 was a returned unit and the settings were Urban Roads 0% and motorways at 75%, i didn't really understand what the "urban road" setting was so i left it as it was, hence the single track lane route as the unit was trying to route me away from them.(being a bit of a "thicko" i thought "urban roads" meant B roads and unclassified roads etc...)

I find that if you have Urban roads set at 100% and motorways at about 75% it works just fine.

I've just planned a route from Warrington to Quimper in Brittany via Plymouth and Roscoff and checked on my road maps and i couldn't have planned it better (towing a twin axle caravan as well).

Hope this helps

Ned
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently made a trip to Portmeirion in Wales from Oldham, Gtr Manchester using my 510 with ST2005. It did fine untill the last leg of the journey, when it decided to take me the scenic rural route right over the mountains on a road that was just wide enough for me it did get me to my location but because of the route it took 45 mins longer. I assumed it took me the most direct route because I had it set at the shortest route setting? I did get some stunning scenery photographs that I would never have found the other route and it did get me there.
MR1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned my 550 (and TMC) for almost three years they get used on a regular basis for both work and personnel journeys. I find the unit to be a great navigation aid but once in a while the route suggested is not the one which local knowledge/experience would suggest you would take. My settings are 50/50 fastest/shortest with 75% for motorways and 100% for urban roads.

Can I ask any other dinosaurs (sorry 550 users) what settings they have found to work the best?

Thanks

MR
I'll always take the roundabout way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: