Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 recently slow to acquire satellites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 recently slow to acquire satellites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: I3 recently slow to acquire satellites Reply with quote

Hi. I've been lurking for a while - finding this a very useful area. I recently bought an I3 complete with speed camera database preloaded, which I've been using for several weeks.

If I hadn't read the forum I might have done something silly like upgrade from the 2.7 firmware in the unit, or used the new POI loader. Thanks for all the useful informaiton.

I'm now hoping someone might have an idea of what is happening. In the last several days, the unit seems to be taking longer and longer to aquire satellites. I get in the car, set up my destination and (hopefully having some idea where I'm going) start to drive. This morning it took almost 5 minutes for the I3 to work out where it was, even though in the past it has usually plotted the route by the time I get out of the car park. This behaviour seems quite consistent - from taking only a few seconds to locate itself, it is now taking up to several minutes.

I've checked the batteries, which seem fine (and the unit knows what sort they are). Is there anything else I can check?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted...

paul.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let it get a lock before you start to drive

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
let it get a lock before you start to drive

Definitely. If i start driving before it gets green bars then it can take a while to sort itself out. If you keep batteries in whilst not in use then it should lock in <30 seconds WITH A GOOD VIEW OF THE SKY. This is important because if you are near tall buildings it'll take longer. If i move my car 5 feet up the drive away from the house then it locks in typically 15-20 seconds and 30 - 60 if i don't.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
If i move my car 5 feet up the drive away from the house then it locks in typically 15-20 seconds and 30 - 60 if i don't.

I find the same situation on my drive.

Paul do you live at my house? Laughing

Nick.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul do you live at my house?

NO!

You're out of milk by the way!
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people - that certainly helped... Smile

Still seems to take a while in some locations, but moving a few feet out of my parking spot certainly helped.

What puzzled me orignally was that it hadn't taken as long to aquire satellites originally (or at least I thought that was the case).

paul
big_ash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also takes upto 5 minutes but I found that if I use it every day then it's quicker to lock. If I miss a few days then it takes alot longer.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same situation - I spent a tenner on an external aerial and it is now fine.

Worth a try for so little outlay.

John
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
I had the same situation - I spent a tenner on an external aerial and it is now fine.

Worth a try for so little outlay.

Smile I think you're right. I was almost at my local Maplin's today, but I'm a bit broke this week, so I guess I'll have to leave it till next week.

Must also remember to put in a POI update, since the Banbury Maplin's doesn't seem to be in the database...

paul.
nicbowker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had exactly the same.

And i've only had my i3 for two weeks.

The first week, I got a signal within their claimed time of less than 45 "warm" - whatever warm means.

But in the last few weeks at one stage I was up to 20 minutes before I got a lock in.

Yes driving along may cause it problems, but it shouldn't really should it, I mean that's the whole point of the thing isn't it? - to be able to track where you are whilst moving? I don't want a unit that only works if you're stationary. that's pointless!!!!!

It's now down to about 5 minutes. I did toy with the extra aerial (is that internal by the by?) but though - nah.

Does anyone know what the unit does differently in those first setups? I mean once it's in, it seems to be fine and if it does lose signal it'll come back online quicker than trying to find the satellites in the first place. So what is this little box of tricks doing during the first switch on?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: