Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C510
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Mio C510 Reply with quote

Got my Mio C510 yesterday and after a few hours, I began to realise that this this really is the dog's dangly bits. I have (up until a couple of days ago) owned a Nuvi and before that a Navman 520 and before that TT5 PDA setup and I really do think that this thing is by far the best mix of all those units & systems.
I haven't actully taken it out anywhere yet (will do that today) but I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed!

The only thing that it appears not to be able to do (unlike the Nuvi) is to play MP3's and navigate at the same time. Not too worried about that as the kids have an Archos hooked into the car anyway.

If anyone wants more info etc, just let me know...

Ravi
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant edit.
Navman 530 not 520
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio C510 Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Got my Mio C510 yesterday and after a few hours, I began to realise that this this really is the dog's dangly bits. I have (up until a couple of days ago) owned a Nuvi and before that a Navman 520 and before that TT5 PDA setup and I really do think that this thing is by far the best mix of all those units & systems.
I haven't actully taken it out anywhere yet (will do that today) but I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed!

The only thing that it appears not to be able to do (unlike the Nuvi) is to play MP3's and navigate at the same time. Not too worried about that as the kids have an Archos hooked into the car anyway.

If anyone wants more info etc, just let me know...

Ravi

You should have brought the C710. Thats the Dogs.
Its basically the same as the C510 but but has the TMC and MP3 included
I got mine for £370 which is the best value for money. I also have gotten rid of my Navman 520 and TomTom One for this superb device
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DeeJay,
The 510E has all the euro maps, the MP3 player and every thing else that the 710 has APART from the TMC which I find to be pants anyway (in my area only one road is covered - M4 in all of South Wales!!) I already had a 2Gb SD card so I've just shoved all of europe onto it and a load of MP3's and pix too!

I got the 510E for £239 so you paid £130 for the TMC feature!!
:D

Have you managed to add any POI databases yet??
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Hey DeeJay,
The 510E has all the euro maps, the MP3 player and every thing else that the 710 has APART from the TMC which I find to be pants anyway (in my area only one road is covered - M4 in all of South Wales!!) I already had a 2Gb SD card so I've just shoved all of europe onto it and a load of MP3's and pix too!

Crying or Very sad I haven't managed to upload any POI databases. I have only worked out how to make then individually in groups. I have sent an email to Mio-Tech support to find out if I can use POIhandler or 3rd party speed cams such as the ones from this site.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my one worry with this thing. Compared to the Nuvi, adding POI's are a nightmare. I have emailed POIHandler and the guy there said that loads of people had these things in germany and they were all using the add-on poi's. I asked hi how to add them and unfortunately, he's not replied.

If I cant add POI's I'm going to have to seriously reconsider keeping this thing.

I'll let you know if I work out how to do it or if the guy tells me.

Ravi

ps does the TMC work weell? Who provides the service? Trafficmaster maybe?
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions if I may.

The 710 seems to come with the aerial for TMC but with the 510E you can purchase one for £60. Is it only the aerial that is needed for the 510E or does it need an external TMC unit too? I am confused about this issue because the 710 lists it as in-built while the 510 refers to an external system. Also the Mio site states:

"Be aware that you can only receive free broadcasted TMC information. Limited free TMC information is available in France, for Great Britain payable TMC information can not be received."

http://www.mio-tech.be/shop/product_info.php?products_id=384

Does the fitting of the aerial not make it more cumbersome to move from car to car?

Secondly, how is route planning in terms of waypoints? Is it done on the unit, through a PC, how many waypoints can be added etc?

Cheers.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer the TMC thing as I have a c510 and no need of TMC!

As for routing, it's pretty easy. Just pick a start point on the map, pick an end point and away you go. If you want to add any via points, just select any area of the map and click add via. Do this as many times as you want to. Whan you've selected your vias, click 'optimise' to let the Mio find the best route and order between them (if you want it to). If you want to delete any via points, pick one on the map and click delete. The route will then be re-calculated and re-optimised.
It's all pretty easy and works well.

Only one problem I've found though is that if you have 'Auto re-routing' ticked, you cant plan a route from any point on the map to any other point on the map. The Mio will simply assume that your start point is your current GPS position and route from there. This is a bug and I emailed Mio about it last week.

Ravi
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinweb wrote:
A couple of questions if I may.

The 710 seems to come with the aerial for TMC but with the 510E you can purchase one for £60. Is it only the aerial that is needed for the 510E or does it need an external TMC unit too? I am confused about this issue because the 710 lists it as in-built while the 510 refers to an external system. Also the Mio site states:

"Be aware that you can only receive free broadcasted TMC information. Limited free TMC information is available in France, for Great Britain payable TMC information can not be received."

http://www.mio-tech.be/shop/product_info.php?products_id=384

Does the fitting of the aerial not make it more cumbersome to move from car to car?

Secondly, how is route planning in terms of waypoints? Is it done on the unit, through a PC, how many waypoints can be added etc?

Cheers.

1. Itinary planning / Weypoints.
As many waypoints you want can be added to your route. You first have the put in your destination , then press route to. Then put in any other interim points and press route via for each of them.
2. The TMC module is built-in to the C710 so all that is needed is the supplied thin, small aerial for your windscreen (not combersome) The C510 needs an external module plus the aerial (I haven't seem this and cannot comment but when i was looking for a device my main aim was to get one that the traffic module was not too big with trailing wires all over the dash).
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps for the very quick replies. Thumbs Up

One last thing I need to ask. Sorry. :D Is it possible to plan a route on the pc while connected to the MIO and also to save these files or can you only do this on the unit itself? Ravi also mentions that you can click on the map and then click to select a waypoint, but is it also possible to add waypoints by searching for an address, town, POI etc too?

It looks like I will be going for the 710. For the extra £130 over the 510E I get EU maps preloaded (a 2GB SD card will cost me nearly £40), a bike cradle, TMC (£61 option with the 510E) and some cheap headphones. That brings the price of the two much closer but the 710 will be less fiddly with the built-in TMC.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Hey DeeJay,

Just did a little more research Ravi,
Your right i paid £130 not only for the TMC feature (which i found excellent - I used it from London to Hanley in Stoke-on-Trent return with no problems at all) but i also get the following;
Earphones for the unit - great for listening to the MP3 player in private.
Bike mount - for use on your mounting bike or motor cycle (Although i haven't used it yet on my mounting bike but plan to try it)

I have a couple of problems that are worth noteing, not sure if you share the same view;
1. I find it a bit quiet in the car on MAX volume (maybe my car is too noisy) Embarassed
2. Speedcam database not as efficient as the one from this website. (many duplicates)
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re waypoints, you can add them from existing poi's, current cursor positions, previously visited places, your poi's etc. etc. It's very versatile!

have fun with it. It's a great machine!!

Ravi
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deejay:
Glad you're happy with it. I would have gone for the TMC model too but as I said before, the coverage is rubbish where I live (Wales!) so there is little point for me. If I lived somewhere less crap (TMC wise!), I'd probably have gone for the TMC model!

As for the cameras, I found the really good. Honestly, It seemed to have all the ones that I came across after a weeks use and I was well impressed with it. I think that the neat thing is that when you add your own or correct ones that are there and sync with the web, everyone else's cameras also get added to your machine, so the whole thing SHOULD get very accurate very quickly (at least thats the theory!).

Regarding the noise, the unit has 4 volume controls (master, voice, keys and dynamic) so it's a question of balancing all these. It's a bit tricky to start with but you can get it right. I'd suggest turning OFF the dynamic control to start with though.
It's pretty loud - I drove 40 miles in a my wife's Smart at 80, oops I mean 70, and that's LOUD and I could hear everything pretty clearly!

What did you think of the speed warning accuracy?

Hope this helps!

Ravi
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Deejay:
Glad you're happy with it. I would have gone for the TMC model too but as I said before, the coverage is rubbish where I live (Wales!) so there is little point for me. If I lived somewhere less crap (TMC wise!), I'd probably have gone for the TMC model!

As for the cameras, I found the really good. Honestly, It seemed to have all the ones that I came across after a weeks use and I was well impressed with it. I think that the neat thing is that when you add your own or correct ones that are there and sync with the web, everyone else's cameras also get added to your machine, so the whole thing SHOULD get very accurate very quickly (at least thats the theory!).

Regarding the noise, the unit has 4 volume controls (master, voice, keys and dynamic) so it's a question of balancing all these. It's a bit tricky to start with but you can get it right. I'd suggest turning OFF the dynamic control to start with though.
It's pretty loud - I drove 40 miles in a my wife's Smart at 80, oops I mean 70, and that's LOUD and I could hear everything pretty clearly!

What did you think of the speed warning accuracy?

Hope this helps!

Ravi

I meant the speed camera database is inacurate. I sometimes have 4 cameras on the unit representing 1 real camera. I rather pay the £2 a monthly or £19 annually for acuracy.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had that problem! All mine are good and accurate!

Ravi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: