Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stick with Navman or go to TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick with Navman or go to TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Stick with Navman or go to TomTom? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got a Navman 3000 sleeve, and SmartST running with my iPaq 5550, and it all works pretty nicely.

Since getting my first 3 penalty points recently (hmm, 34 in a 30 limit on a dual carriageway nowhere near a residential area - who says some speed cameras are revenue earners?), what I'd really like is some kind of speed camera database, integrated with the route planning, and I know that this can't be done with the current release of SmartST. My options are: -

1. Sell the Navman & software (possibly with some licensing issue, due to the fact it's registered to me?), and buy TomTom2, a receiver and also one of the (many) speed camera databases available. I've got a colleague who wants to buy the Navman, and could probably get enough £££ from him to buy a receiver and TomTom2 outright.

Or

2. Wait for the next release of SmartST and hope that the ability to integrate speed camera software is incorporated. (any of you guys on the NDA know if this is in there?)

I don't really mind which option I take, although I guess I'm swaying towards the TomTom2 route, as the software as it stands at the moment does everything that I want, Also, I was one of the original Smartpath City owners who upgraded to the current SmartST software, and don't really want to carry on forking out for software upgrades, especially if the new software just brings the functionality up to on a par with TT2. Having said that, I'm very happy with the Navman system.

Anyone got any advice regarding this? Anyone had experience with both SmartST and TT2? Is there a release date for SmartST2 yet, or even a list of new features? Does the speed camera database work well with TT2? Oh, and one final question - Is there a way of getting around the tiny sound that comes out of the 5550 iPaqs? It's pretty difficult to hear any of the voice commands through that little speaker!

Thanks for any help,

Mark.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really see this as an opportunity - both to update the software and to get a more recent receiver. I'd go with the TomTOm way.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got around the 5540 speaker problem in two ways.

My first effort was to use a cassette adapter which plugged into the PDa and into the car stereo. This of course meant that I could no longer listen to the radio or cassette, but could use my Windows Media Player on the PDA.

My second option was to use a Seidio amplified holder, though I have this positioned in a storage area in the console, and use the Brodit mount for the PDA. This I find ideal as It doesnt interfere with the stereo, and I can adjust the volume of the instructions independantly to the background music.
Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Well I got around the 5540 speaker problem in two ways.

My first effort was to use a cassette adapter which plugged into the PDa and into the car stereo. This of course meant that I could no longer listen to the radio or cassette, but could use my Windows Media Player on the PDA.

My second option was to use a Seidio amplified holder, though I have this positioned in a storage area in the console, and use the Brodit mount for the PDA. This I find ideal as It doesnt interfere with the stereo, and I can adjust the volume of the instructions independantly to the background music.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Still undecided about which way to go, though.

Anyone used both SmartST and TomTom2 offer a comparison?

Mark.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tredders wrote:
Anyone used both SmartST and TomTom2 offer a comparison?

I use both.

TT2 has a nicer user interface, the published API which allows for all the 3rd party add-ons, and you can create your own POI files.

SmartST has more accurate mapping, more comprehensive voice directions, and works seamlessly across country borders (if you have the maps).

I use SmartST most of the time because I find that in the car it does the job of getting me from wherever I happen to be to a destination better. I also keep TT2 installed ready for action as it is more useful for armchair route planning, and I also create POIs with it as a backup to my SmartST favourites.
JonR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To you that obviously have a lot of experiences from the street navigation SW. By following the discussions in this forum, I think I have a fairly good overview of the iPAQ part of the software, but how are SmartST versus TT2 on the PC. Is it possible to run these applications on your desktop, getting overview, performing route planning and POI management?? The iPAQ screen is actually too small to really enjoy the "art of map adventures".
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonR,
Netither of these applications run on a PC, but you can edit TT2 POIs on the PC with a number of apps including POIedit.
JonR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bad news. Then I must start looking for something else.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: