Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 910 -- Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 910 -- Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice thanks.

I have decided not to purchase the TomTom Go 910 ... too many issues with it....

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are welcome and glad I could give you an insight on the 910. I forgot to add a couple of other points in my previous post.

The auto-switching between daytime and nighttime modes is excellent if you drive through tunnels frequently. In Europe it was a boon as it dims the view fairly quickly through all the tunnels I went through. It also guesstimates your location within the tunnel and does a fairly good job, including warning of a camera on the exit to a tunnel. The reacquisition of satellites on emerging from tunnels was extra quick taking no more than 2-3 seconds.

I did set the unit up to increase it's volume by speed but I am not sure it ever worked. It might have been because I had it setup at 100% and it would only work if set below 100% and then would increase. Seems logical. When I did have it set at 70% I don't think it got louder or quieter than this when driving. Perhaps the unit wants to be set to 30% and will then increase the volume but never reduce it to below 30% no matter what the speed. I am not sure.

The unit seems to know the speed limits on most major (A) roads and motorways but not all main roads in Europe. I am sure they will add the data when they have the information but many a time it really helped to know the speed limit on an unknown road. The only problem I can highlight is the fact that the unit flashes the speed limit and your speed in red when you go above the limit and against a blue background is next to impossible to read. It would have been better IMO if TT put a red box around the white flashing digits to confirm the fact that you were speeding.

Not having tel numbers or addresses for POIs is a feature that needs to be added as I could not get the details to show up. I would also prefer to be able to see the POIs on a map and being able to select them. This is not possible. You can however enable under the option menu to show icons of POIs that you select to show up on a map but they didn't seem to show any details about the POIs.

No headphone connection on the unit itself is unforgivable if TT have tried to design the unit as an MP3 player. Personally I think the 710 might be better value if you travel around Europe or the 510 if you don't. The reason being that the text to speech is absolutely rubbish and of no use in day-to-day driving. You can always see the name of the road that you need to turn on and the 710 will do that too. Seamless navigation around Europe was a good feature though but the 710 will do that too.

Personally I would prefer the Nuvi or MIO710/510 because of the design. You can carry those units in your hand to allow you to use the unit while on foot without looking like an idiot or trying to hold on to an awkward shape of the TT. The Nuvi however does not allow route planning with more than 1 waypoint but is ideal otherwise and I don't know much about the Mio710 to make a decision on the latter.

If there are any further questions on the 910 please ask and I'll try to answer them if I know the facts.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazimyounis wrote:

I have decided not to purchase the TomTom Go 910 ... too many issues with it....

Go for MIO710
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done a lot of people will find this helpfull
dpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the MIO 710 and traded it in the next day for a tomtom 710.

I tested the Mio with a few routes I know very well and on all of those it would take very strange routes, all of them longer. Changing the routing between, shortes, fastest or economical would give different results almost all of them worse as tomtom. It also lagged behind a second or 2 to 3 so taking the right turn or exit was a lot of guesswork. Also taking a turn it sometimes would need a second or 2 to figure out wich way we were going so it recalculated while we were on the correct route. It repeatly send me in dead end streets or insisted I drive my car over a bycicle path.

By comparison the tomtom is imho the much better navigator. I only need to look at the screen at very complicated situations. 90% of the time I can just listen to its instructions and it brings me where I want to without problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: