Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 910 -- Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 910 -- Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: TomTom Go 910 -- Review Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this has been asked several times, so i apologise in advance,

How come there is still no review from PocketGpsWorld Team on the TomTom Go 910?

Regards
Nazim

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say this, but I will, I'm sure its because there's far too many problems that the review would be very negative.

Its all down to supplier relationships, this site used to be independent, I'm not so sure now . . .
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I agree, the site does seem to be very pro TomTom these days
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No response from Pocket GPS Team Confused

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as has been said many times before we only have a preproduction unit which it would not be fair to base a reveiw on as far as i know (and that isnt much Laughing ). we havent been given an x10 unit for reveiw as yet.

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I'm hearing it sounds like most of the new x10 owners have also received pre production units . . .
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to remember that for everyone who has a problem with any unit be it gox10 or xda mini S, there maybe hunderds of units that perform perfectly and never give a problem

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as has been said many times before we only have a preproduction unit

Would've thought someone on 'the team' would have bought one for themselves, or do you just use the freebies you are given?

I think its a poor reason not to have a proper review for such a large and respected website, especially when its about a popular make of GPS.

A review is probably why alot of people turn to pocketgps.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
Quote:
as has been said many times before we only have a preproduction unit

Would've thought someone on 'the team' would have bought one for themselves, or do you just use the freebies you are given?

c'mon, mate, you can't be serious - can you imagine somebody going out and buying a piece of kit for half a grand when he's just been given one for free? Laughing Laughing
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, 1 unit free, but there is more than 1 person running this site, what do you do? share the freebie around the group. What day of the week do you get your turn?

Anyway, there's still no reason why you cant get your hands on a new model, be it from a friend/colleague etc

But then again, if you gave a review, and it was bad, oooh no more freebies from ya mates at Tomtom!
Wink
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point, how are TomTom going to know if the review was based on a pre production model & a final version. I'm sure the pre production unit automatically updates to the latest version of software, therefore its no longer a pre production unit.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
yea, 1 unit free, but there is more than 1 person running this site, what do you do? share the freebie around the group. What day of the week do you get your turn?

they are slightly more generous than that ;-)

m623d wrote:

But then again, if you gave a review, and it was bad, oooh no more freebies from ya mates at Tomtom!
Wink

again, not entirely correct, they are slighly less vicious than that ;-)

Another thing is that the majority of the moderators here are not the part of Team as such - we are just helping the owners to run the forums. I'm on the TT test group (as well as on the test group of a few other GPS companies), but it has nothing to do with PocketGPS.

I'm sure that if any of the forum members want to write a balanced review, the owners will publish it on this site.

If you want my opinion, I would not buy TomTom X10 series units because they

a) too big
b) clearly have mechanical problems
c) require a cradle to connect to a PC and lack the USB and DC connectors on the unit, and you can only charge it through the cradle

On the positive side is the software, which is still the best on the market in terms of usability, although i-GO is getting close.

The alternatives are Garmin Nuvi (although I don't like the folding antenna) and the new Mio range. The latter is the clear winner at this particular point in time.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not part of the mod team or in any way involved on this forum except for posting a few replies. I have had the TT910 for three weeks and have just completed a road trip around Europe driving 3300 miles in 17 days. I think I might be able to give you my impressions about the TT. :P

The road trip I undertook took me from the UK, through France, Switzerland and finished in Italy and then back. I drive a convertible and as such I was very dubious about the screen brightness but I have to say that it wasn't too bad at all. At certain angles the reflection of sunlight off my shirt would make the screen more difficult to read but a slight adjustment and it was fine. Thumbs up on that aspect.

The next issue was the sound levels as my car is also rather loud and I tend to drive it rather fast. Wink I found that with the roof down, doing 80-90 mph I could barely hear the voices but with the hood up I could even turn it down to 70% volume and at the same speed I could easily hear the instructions.

It would have been better IMO if TT had allowed the device to pair with a BT headset and pass the instructions through it but they haven't. I can't use the BT phone functions as there is too much noise in my car but I would have been able to make calls if the BT headset had been available. Perhaps a TT Rider would be better suited to my needs.

The pre-loaded camera database from TT wasn't too bad. It had about 70% of the cameras on the French motorway but 30% is a big margin and they need to improve it. In Switzerland the TT did not alert to any cameras even though I saw them and slowed down but only because ~I saw the locals slow down first. In Italy most of the cameras did show up and surprisingly even in small towns in Tuscany which I was very surprised about and very glad. On the road between Florence and Sienna it warned me of every camera along the route and every single one was accurate.

I found that I was mainly looking at the screen for the next instruction on complicated junctions but sometimes it wasn't very clear which lane to be in especially when there were three very close together. I also found that the screen was not very quick to update itself and being about 1 second slower than my manoeuvre. On roundabouts it was sometimes very confusing as the exit shown on screen would not match where I needed to exit as it hadn't caught up with me. This was true at all speeds in excess of 40mph for me. I am not sure if this was on my unit alone or whether it is true of all units. This problem manifests itself in other ways too. If approaching two left turns in quick succession you are sometimes unaware which one to take as the countdown in yds or meters is normally running slowly and means you have to slow down for the unit to catch up.

The text to speech is a joke and I turned it off as it annoyed me more than it helped. This was because the feature lacked the ability to pronounce any names and words properly including saying the most common of words like roundabout. It was rather funny for a day or two to listen to it trying to pronounce place names, road names but this soon wore thin. I preferred the setting to announce turn right in x meters on A3200. The good thing was that it would say A 3 2 0 0 and not three thousand twenty.

There were a few navigation problems where it was taking me on roads that had no entry or one way but these were very rare. I would hazard that this error was about 1% of the time and as such not a big problem.

The big problem however for me in Italy was the inability to ask the unit to avoid unpaved roads and in Tuscany there were many. Cobbled streets and my car don't mix too well but most times it was too late to do a u-turn on sharp mountain roads and had to drive many a mile on the route without having a choice.

The other problem encountered was the unit's disposition to take you back on route by repeating to do u-turns time and again. It got so infuriating at times that I had to shut her up for a good 15 minutes before it would recalculate a new route. This was again not too common but I would hazard that it did it about 15% of the time when I deviated from the planned route. Annoying nevertheless.

The itinerary planning is a nice feature but too cumbersome even when attached to a PC. The problem lies in how you plan the routes. If you want to select certain personal waypoints e.g. certain junction on roads near a town on the map then you have to first save them in your favourites or in a user defined POI and then insert them in the itinerary. If you type the name of a town and there are more than 1 match within a region there is no way to verify this information in advance and only once added can you see the waypoint or destination on a map. You then need to delete the wrong entry and start again.

One also can not easily reposition one waypoint in between two other waypoints if the former is done after the planning as finished. As an example, I created an itinerary for 10 waypoints and decided to use one new one. The last WP was added at the bottom of the list even though it was closer to the beginning of the trip. One must click on the waypoint and move it up by one, click and move it up one position and so on until you have it where you need it. In my case that meant 18 taps on the screen to move 1 waypoint up 9. If I added any further intermidiary waypoints I would have to tap a further 18 times for each waypoint if it was nearer the top!

The second frustrating part of this issue is the units inability to understand that a waypoint is just that, I want to pass through a town but don't want to stop there otherwise I would have selected it as a destination. Because of this the unit will navigate you right into the centre of the town and then back on to your route. As above, if you decide that it is trying to take you into the centre of town and the road signs tell you to carry on to the next waypoint in a different direction the unit will annoy you to turn back, do a u-turn etc until you go to the itinerary menu and click on the last waypoint and mark it as visited.

Sometimes the waypoints need to be selected by names and these towns have a bypass road around the permiter of the city but TT will navigate you off the main road, into the town centre and then back out again losing you an enormous amount of time.These two or three aspects of itinerary planning need a major rethink by TT.

I found a few bugs in the software too. Sometimes the voice would announce taking the third exit but the map was showing the second exit. This happened on at least 12 occasions that I recollect. The American computer voice can not say meters and will read it as yards even when set to KM in options. The UK voice does not suffer the same problem. Sometimes after disconnecting the unit from the PC it would hang when started up and I would have to shut down and restart the unit. In 17 days I only had to reset the unit once when it wouldn't start up at all. Keep a safety pin in the car for this.

The mount did not droop even in 34 C heat of southern Europe. However on my second to last day the suction mount came away from the screen three times and I have no idea why it did because it was rock solid for three weeks before then.

I would not use it while walking in town as the unit is a bit too clunky to carry in your hand. This is a major disadvantage for me and I would prefer a sleeker model. Some of the POI were non-existent i.e. some petrol stations. Others were just in the wrong location. One such even was rather funny because I directed it to a hotel POI and it told me I had reached my hotel and I drove back and forth for 15 mins and unable to find the hotel. I then saw a car stopped at the side of the road and asked for help and he started to look up details in his TT. He too was lost and looking for a different hotel and both units had delivered us to a junction where no hotels existed. :D It wasn't that much fun at midnight in a strange town. Sad

The MP3 function was adequate and I used it during a picnic watching a sunset. The battery lasted a good 5 hours on night mode lights and volume on 50%. The random play was good, searching by genre, artist or album wasn't too bad either.

Hope the review is of some use to people out there. Smile
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, thank you
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: