Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Go 700 off road.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Go 700 off road.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Using Go 700 off road. Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Go 700 when you are away from the mapped roads? I am going to a large concert, and wondered if I could log the GPS position of my parked car as a favourite, and then use it when I'm trying to find my car somewhere in the middle of a badly lit field after dark?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the GO 700 offroad (or even on a bike or on foot) is a bad idea. It's the surest way to kill the internal hard disk (which is not overly shock proof)

Technically you can mark the place of your car with a POI or favorite, and then use the map browser to get back to it. But the TomTom software is rather poor in off-road sitiations, and may snap you back to an adjacent road instead.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, why do they have cycling or walking options?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for getting round a town

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
FredCDobbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cycling and Walking options dictate what sort of road you may take. ie cycling shouldn't direct you along a motorway, walking may direct you the wrong way up a one way street.

The Tomtom does show you 'off road' sometimes e.g in a car park, but may well snap you to the nearest road, so isn't terribly reliable for that. I wouldn't use it for off road.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
for getting round a town

But lbendlin says " Using the GO 700 offroad (or even on a bike or on foot) is a bad idea. It's the surest way to kill the internal hard disk (which is not overly shock proof)"

If walking around carrying the Go 700 will kill the internal hard disk, why have walking options?

When I say "off road", I mean off the mapped roads. I don't intend doing off road driving with it, just want to find my vehicle in a huge field full of cars after the gig. I was hoping to be able to park, set the GPS position as a favourite, and then find my way on foot, back to the car.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probabbly would do that as long as you dont set a route back to car as it will most likely snap to the nearest road ive know this have 6-700 meters away from a road

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDs are not as fragile as most people assume, particularly the small format laptop drives. Shock loading tolerance can be between 250G and 1000G depending on make and if operating or not. Vibration however is the more critical issue. Just dont drop it.
After all larger capacity iPods and the like use HD storage.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Using the GO 700 offroad (or even on a bike or on foot) is a bad idea. It's the surest way to kill the internal hard disk (which is not overly shock proof)"

If that`s the case then what`s the life expectancy of these devices in cars driven on our UK potholed roads!
BUMP Exclamation THUD Exclamation
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best you can do is make a favourite using the GPS position. This often worked well for me but as others say you need to be far enough away from a road. I often thought it would be handy to be able to turn off the snap to road.
I used the 700 walking around quute a bit and also on a cycle (but not clamped to the handle bars) and the disk was fine.
Clamped to the windscreen of a car isn't really a smooth ride either!
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with this, and you can't "navigate" to a point off road. I went into the middle of a field and set it up as a GPS position favourite. I then moved away from the location and tried to navigate back, but just got a "no route possible" error message.

However, if you clear the route, and then go to "browse map", the favourite shows as a star, and your current location as the standard cursor. By repositioning and resizing the map, you can get both locations on screen at the same time. Unlike the navigation screen, in this mode, the screen locks on North Up, and your cursor points in the direction of travel. The map stays static, and your cursor moves around the map as you move.

It's then a simple matter of turning so the cursor points at the favourite, and then walking in that direction. As I got closer, I zoomed more and more in and when the cursor and favourite overlapped, I was within about 6 metres of my marker.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good experiment, but I can just imagine the situation.....

"Get orf moi laaand!"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: