Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest2 not Booting Up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest2 not Booting Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Quest2 not Booting Up Reply with quote

My Quest has gone and done a wheels up yesterday. I have tried everything to get round it but no luck. It starts and gets to the "Acquiring Satellites" screen where it then just stops. The "Speed" , "Dist to Next", "Time to Dest" and "Elevation" windows on the screen are empty. I manage to communicate to the Quest on the USB port if I catch it early enough and have re-installed the 2.60 firmware but this doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas would be welcome or is this a case where I have to return the quest to the supplier.....
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a hard reboot (power+Page+OK Button) you will delete all your waypoints and Data but if you can get the usb working you should be able to download all data via mapsource and then save it.

cheers Bob
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, that neat trick did the job!! It was just the kind of information I was looking for. Where did you find it?? Any ideas why the Quest went into hibernation in the 1st place?? I was wondering if it wasn't my connecting and removing the USB cable while the Quest is powered ON??
Cheers
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianh I think you have a lot of routes and data on yours due to Euro trip you are planning soon. I also had the same on mine and I must admit it made my Q2 a bit quirky with all this info in so I dumped all the data and replaced it with waypoints so I can make routes as I go along on the unit itself I only store 5 routes at a time this has improved things no end although its a pain using the unit to plan routes. I think what is needed is a dedicated version of mapsource for the Q2 as at the moment mapsource is sending far to much hidden data if you are doing a lot of routes. Its fine for one or 2 routes at a time. I think the hard reset is in the book an other one to remember if it freezes is the on+in button Robert Elsingers site is exellent for everything to do with Quest problems. When are you away to Europe? I am off to Lake district on Friday 30th and will be in France on the Monday for a 2 week trip.

cheers Bob
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think what is needed is a dedicated version of mapsource for the Q2 as at the moment mapsource is sending far to much hidden data if you are doing a lot of routes. Its fine for one or 2 routes at a time

I've just been round the Baltic with a Quest running CNv8 and up to 25 routes, each of a days m/c riding, ie about 300 miles - no problems. It may be a case of individual routes being too long as CNv8 carries a lot more data for each road for example. Perhaps you could try reducing the length of your individual routes?
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the useful info. Bob, I had also reverted to entering my routes as Waypoints in Mapsource and then to creating the Route as needed in the Quest using the downloaded waypoints only. This then saves the Quest from holding all the additional created points for the routes in memory. I also have split the waypoints into groups for each day ie A001 to say A015 for route 1 and then B001 to B015 for route 2 etc. I just find it a pain to plan the route on the Quest and having to insert the individual via points one by one. Is there not a short cut as on the Mapsource where the complete set of via points can be highlited and then added to the route in one go? Also because the via points are far away distance wise, it's not simple to add them as the points are not visible in the My Locations without having to go to recent finds , then to a location close to the route and then using the Find Near to bring up the via points. A real pain. Not sure how you build your routes?? Maybe alot simpler then I do. I am only leaving for my Italy trip 31 Aug. Enjoy your trip !!

Cheers, Adrian
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adrian
fine on building waypoints into routes I too am trying out something logical for the naming of waypoints so they are easy to make a route. You can input the waypoints far more quickly than you are doing by going to my locations press ok then menu and select find by name press ok this lists all of your waypoints select the begining letter of the waypoint i.e if your waypoint is called B7 select B this selects all waypoints begining with "B" and instead of scrolling about the alpha numeric display to select "done" simply press the page button instead, if you don't want to use the alpha for selecting waypoints just hit the page button then you can whiz through all your waypoints using the scroll buttons.

cheers Bob
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
It works much faster as you say. One thing though, can one not enter multiple waypoints in one go? eg at the 'Add waypoint' screen I want to enter points A002 to A018 all in one shot. Can you not highlight the multiple waypoints together using some fancy key strokes ??
When do you actually hit the road for your trip ??
Cheers Adrian
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off at the end of this week on Friday I'll have 2 days in the lake district and then off to France,Switzerland,Germany,Belgium and ending up in Netherlands for Ferry home will be doing mostly France inc Normandy Millau.Tarne,Ardeche,Grenoble,Verdun Gorge,Monaco,Maritme Alps.Chamonix then 3 days in Switzerland going to Zermat then Interlaken 2 days in the Black Forest 1 day in Belgium Ardenne then Ijmuden Ferry to Newcastle about 3.5 K miles.

I have not found a way of downloading multi waypoints but an other tip is to use the zoom in out buttons to go from one page to the next.

cheers Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: