Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken POI alerts for TomTom GO, Mobile, PocketPC and Palm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svengali_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK that I have now installed things properly, but I still think that I will probably miss the voice warnings. I am a little deaf, & I tend to drive with the radio on. Would it be possible to set things up so that I got a burst of something like a siren BEFORE the voice message, something that could not be missed?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to do, you need to use an audio programe to stitch together two OGG audio files together, then create your own data.chk file using POIExtend which is avail from HERE there is some other information on that site re creating your own voices, its not a 5 min job to do, but can achieve your requirements with some time - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the PGPSW voices/data.chk so don't know if ANY of the original noises still remain. If they do, you could install the "all-in-one-file" version of the database alongside your speed-zoned ones and set that to alert you with a sound at a slightly greater distance.
If there aren't any sounds remaining, another way to acheive the same thing (still easier than making your own data.chk), would be to install Ray Flanagan's POI Extended Warnings which gives you lots more room for voices and sounds. Check HERE to see if it available for your firmware version.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! hit "Post" instead of "Preview". Meant to edit my reply to say "Another way of using POI Extend would be to...."
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svengali_uk wrote:
Would it be possible to set things up so that I got a burst of something like a siren BEFORE the voice message, something that could not be missed?

Something like this sample.
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=124410
If you are going to create your own data.chk let me know and I will give you the sound files.
Svengali_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Warning Siren. Reply with quote

That was absolutely perfect! I jumped, even though I was expecting it.
I would most certainly appreciate a copy of the files - and an idiots guide to installing them.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PM.
Svengali_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Trying to build data.chk Reply with quote

I received the warning files in .ogg format from Mullet, and tried to build the data.chk file using the TomTomGo POI Sound Patcher that I linked to from Ray's site. All appeared to go well at first, but I had a message saying that my file had 146 modules, and the rebuild may not work, and when I got to the "Build Voice" stage, I got an error message saying that ......./after.ogg was missing, & the process aborted.
Does anyone know what is happening, & how I can overcome it?
I am not completely sure that that Sound Patcher will work with my build - 5.410 - is this my problem?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be using POIExtend from Rays site from what you describe it looks like the application you have used is to create a Nav voive not the POI Warning Voice, these are two totally different files.

POIExtend will only work with specific versions of the TomTom application, check carefully for the correct one, if yours isn't listed you will have to look at upgrading the application on your device for this to work, don't try creating the file for a different version and loading it, as this simply will not work - Mike
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
POIExtend will only work with specific versions of the TomTom application, check carefully for the correct one, if yours isn't listed you will have to look at upgrading the application on your device for this to work, don't try creating the file for a different version and loading it, as this simply will not work - Mike

After trying this myself on a wrong version: (just out of curiosity of course). Stop!

A word of "CAUTION" not only will it not work but you will then have to re-store your TomTom from a backup, or from a copy of your SD card.
As simply replacing the files with the originals did not work either.
So, to anyone who does try it "out of curiosity" make sure you have a "BACKUP" or else your next question will be:
How do I re-store my TomTom! Taunt
Svengali_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: POIExtend Reply with quote

I have set up my new data.chk & ttn files in Ray's POIExtend, but when I try to copy the files across, I get told that I need more memory. I have deleted all but one voice, is there anything else that I can safely delete in order to give myself the memory that I need?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the file size of your new data.chk file? you might want to consider a new larger capacity memory card to get this working - Mike
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As simply replacing the files with the originals did not work either.
So, to anyone who does try it "out of curiosity" make sure you have a "BACKUP" or else your next question will be:

The only file poi extend modifies is the data.chk file.
Restore the original data.chk and delete the ttn file if you extracted it to restore normal operation.

Poiw 1.0g is built for TomTom Go, One & Rider software version 5.42 and 5.44 only

Poiw 1.0f is built for TomTom Go software versions 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.201, & 5.202 and TomTom Navigator PPC versions 5.0, 5.1 & 5.21- updated for 5.21 BUILD 5431
Svengali_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: More Memory Reply with quote

I managed to get the memory that I needed by deleting the old data.chk file completely - but have backups in two places, just in case!
However, a friend has emailed me a folder of POIs showing photographic viewpoints in the Lake District, so I am going to need more memory anyway. Tom Tom do not list memory cards, except the pre-loaded ones. Can I get these SD cards from any computer store? - and if I do find one, do I simply copy my existing files across?
Incidentaly - the new warning files work perfectly!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear its working, and that you backed up the files just in case. As to a larger memory card any PC store will stock them, and at the price they are these days I would go for a 512MB bearing in mind the device you are using - this leaves you loads of room for voices and any other add ons you might want.

Try some of the adverts on the right of this page to get an idea of price before wandering in to the local PC World store, this advice might save you you some hard earned cash

Then have a read up on copying SD cards, (there are loads of posts on this topic) just enable show hidden files within Windows Explorer and use an SD card reader as it is so much faster to transfer the data - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 51 of 73

Jump to: