Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN530 - is it worth it ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN530 - is it worth it ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: ICN530 - is it worth it ? Reply with quote

OK, so I get an email from Navman offering me a 530 for £209 inc VAT, which includes European Maps. I already have a 510, so is it worth it ?

I was considering a Quest 2, as that would be better on my bike, but I could live with this as I only ever use the ausio on the bike anyway.

Couple of questions.....

1) Does it use the same routing engine, as sometime my 510 want's to take me on some pretty "scenic" routes to get from A to B ?

2) Does it fit in the same mobile mount ?

3) Who else had tried both ?

Cheers...

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't use the same mount. Routing seems OK on the 530 but the principle of sliding bars remains the same.
Unhban
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
but the principle of sliding bars remains the same [on the 530 as the 520]

Tim, wonder if you could just explain how these work as a mate and I don't think they work as expected....
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sliders sometimes don't seem to do much. I was alarmed tonight to discover that setting motorway preferences to minimum doesn't cause motorways to be excluded; it still seems quite happy to use them.
That makes setting up cycling routes more fiddly, using many waypoints to force it away from the motorway!
Also what does it mean by 'urban' roads? Presumably those near or through a city or town, but again I can't get the unit to avoid going trough a city; it seems to love them!
If anything the effects are subtle; but I'll keep playing.
bruceferguson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ICN530 - is it worth it ? Reply with quote

Jelster wrote:

Couple of questions.....

1) Does it use the same routing engine, as sometime my 510 want's to take me on some pretty "scenic" routes to get from A to B ?

2) Does it fit in the same mobile mount ?

3) Who else had tried both ?

Cheers...

1) The routing preferences for the 530 are the same as the 510 as is most of the interface and operation.

2) The mount is completely different. As well as taking up more window space it's also more fiddly getting the unit in and out of the cradle.

3) I've owned both the 510 and 520 and I'm currently using the 530.

In my opinion if your not bothered by the so called improvements and inovations of the 530's petrol and parking button (both of which I have disscovered are usless), 7 digit post code and the ability to add a traffic module or the Eroupean maps then go for the 520 or upgrade your 510 to the 520 for £99.00.

Bruce
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ICN530 - is it worth it ? Reply with quote

bruceferguson wrote:
1) The routing preferences for the 530 are the same as the 510 as is most of the interface and operation.

2) The mount is completely different. As well as taking up more window space it's also more fiddly getting the unit in and out of the cradle.

3) I've owned both the 510 and 520 and I'm currently using the 530.

Bruce

1) The skin is the same, certainly, but the underlying OS is, according to Navman, very different. This may also extend to the routing algorithms.

2) Certainly it takes up more window space but from my limited experience of the 510, the 530 is no more difficult to get into or out of the mount. Furthermore you can now rest the unit on the dash as the power socket (mini USB) is side mounted, not bottom mounted. You can also connect the power lead before attaching the unit to the mount, which is much better IMO.
bruceferguson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ICN530 - is it worth it ? Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

1) The skin is the same, certainly, but the underlying OS is, according to Navman, very different. This may also extend to the routing algorithms.

2) Certainly it takes up more window space but from my limited experience of the 510, the 530 is no more difficult to get into or out of the mount. Furthermore you can now rest the unit on the dash as the power socket (mini USB) is side mounted, not bottom mounted. You can also connect the power lead before attaching the unit to the mount, which is much better IMO.

1) That explains the amount of bugs in the 530 then Rolling Eyes

2) The most anouing thing with the 530 cradle is that the power cable can not be clipped to the bracket to hold it in place, unkile the 530 as you release the cable it usualy ends up on the floor, and if you wrap the cable around the bracket and forget to un-plug it when you remove the unit it tends to snatch it out of your hand.

I would have prefered the power cable to be at the bottom so that as you removed the unit it detaches itself and that the cable clips to the bracket like the 510/520's. The plus side to the 530's bracket is that the unit locks into place, but can be confusing when it comes to taking it out of the cradle as it does not remove the same way as it is placed in.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to 520, 530 has: upgraded navigation engine with more detailed voice guidance, 8 digit post code search (instead of 5), traffic support (optional extra), park/petrol buttons, louder speaker, many UI fixes and small improvements (e.g. auto day/night colour scheme switching), on-board flash (don't need SD card if all you need is UK/Ireland), faster processor, much more sensitive GPS (SiRF* III instead of II that 520 has -- III can get GPS fix even within some buildings), and screen looks brighter too.
bruceferguson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Compared to 520, 530 has: upgraded navigation engine with more detailed voice guidance, 8 digit post code search (instead of 5), traffic support (optional extra), park/petrol buttons, louder speaker, many UI fixes and small improvements (e.g. auto day/night colour scheme switching), on-board flash (don't need SD card if all you need is UK/Ireland), faster processor, much more sensitive GPS (SiRF* III instead of II that 520 has -- III can get GPS fix even within some buildings), and screen looks brighter too.

The petrol button is usless as the location of the stations within the database are located in the wrong place and therefore navigates you to the wrong place, the parking button is also usless as it has a limited list of car parks and not one of the 20+ car parks in Canterbury are listed (nearest parking is either Ashford, 20 miles away or Margate 15 miles away).

In a side by side comparison with the 530 and 520 I could not notice any difference in the speakers volume only that the 530 seemed clearer, nor could I see any difference regarding the screen brighteness. The T1 Traffic module only works on SOME of the major roads despite been able to pick up Classic FM in most areas of the country it relies on a much clearer signal than that recived by a car stereo. In my opinion the small fixes in the UI and better reciever don't outway the amount of bugs in the "inovitive" features of the 530.

TomTom ONE XL T
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Bruce. If you look at past forum threads two of the major gripes with the 510 / 520 were:

1. Slow satellite connection.
2. No full post code search.

Both of those issues have been addressed in the ICN530. Full European mapping is also included with the 530.

The reality is that the 530 has replaced the 520, I suspect that the current 520 pricing relects the fact that this is a stock clearance. Also bear in mind that when first released the 520 sold at £349 the new ICN530 is much cheaper even straight after its release to the market. In short the ICN530 is much better value than its predeccesor.

Terry Walsh
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a 510, then only you can make the decision - is it worth spending money on the improved GPS and 7 digit postcode. If the 510 GPS performance and 5 digit postcode work for you, don't bother upgrading. The other improvements are incremental changes, nothing worth writing home about.
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
Both of those issues have been addressed in the ICN530. Full European mapping is also included with the 530.

Is it the 530 that's fixed that or the later version of the SmartST software that's bundled with the 530.

Navman USA's estore is offering substantial discount for refubished 520's with the 2005 software ($300USD vs. $500 for a new 530), I'm just trying to decide if I want to pay $200 for the fuel/park buttons (why didn't they do these as hot buttons on the touch screen btw?)
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slow sattelite aquisition is fixed by hardware, SIRFSTAR 3 and yes the software fixes the postcode but will not work with the ICN510 / 520

Terry Walsh
mcewena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
yes the software fixes the postcode but will not work with the ICN510 / 520

Thanks, Not sure I get that bit, the same software is offered on the factory refurbished 520's, so if it's fixed with the softwrae why won't it work?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the same software in the 520 and 530. The software in the 530's has the latest maps with 7 digit post codes, but it is not the newest as is used in the 7xx series (Smart St 2006?). The 520 version is SmartSt 2005 - 5 digit postcodes.

So as far as the improvements go - the GPS is definitely a hardware improvement. The 7 Digit Postcode is definitely a software improvement. The current 510 and 520 sofwtare does not have 7 digit postcodes. It's not clear if Navman intend to sell a software update that will give 7 digit postcodes on the 510/20. New maps are needed as well to get 7 digit postcodes.
From past upgrade pricing - a new 530 would be cheaper than new maps and software for a 520.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: