Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Points you have by participating on the site's content
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Points you have by participating on the site's content
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitor wrote:

But the main reason for my complaint, is the way this site is run, it asks people to submit new locations, it does not verify them, it misses accurate information when it is sent, and while all the work is being done for it, it charges people for a very bad database.

New camera locations is the key to a good database, and this database does not have them, instead it uses those that have already been logged many times by many companies.

You make me really angry! Just go away and start up your own database if you've got the gumption how to go about it. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to write the software. Get yourself all the thousands of locations, categorise them, set up your website and let people download them for free like I did for several months and keep it up to date every month for nothing. Then tell me you're not starving and will keep it up for ever.

As for it using data from "many companies" - could you please tell us all the names of the "many" and how we can look at their databases for comparison. Being a rookie at this, my only other comparison is with the TomTom free issue which came with my new GO700 three weeks ago and I mention above their unbelievable data for the GATSO approaching Cardiff. In one week I found more genuine errors on their database than I've seen in nearly a year with PGPSW.

For the price of a pint you can get some really decent info to help you driving hundreds of miles for a whole month. Over the last year, I've been to almost all four corners of the UK and I honestly believe I've not been let down by the database.

There certainly are "inaccuracies". But not the sort which would get me in trouble. e.g. two Gatsos on the A38 north into Gloucester yesterday have both obviously been moved northwards about 200 yards - the road markings are still in the original positions announced by pgpsw. Temporary roadworks cameras come and go like flies to cowsh. If the data remained static, the database would be real easy to run.

Stop moaning, buy the database every month and see how good it is.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the main reason for my complaint, is the way this site is run, it asks people to submit new locations, it does not verify them, it misses accurate information when it is sent, and while all the work is being done for it, it charges people for a very bad database.

New camera locations is the key to a good database, and this database does not have them, instead it uses those that have already been logged many times by many companies.

Fine. Stop paying and use an alternative then - after all you lost less than the price of a pint. I've done thousands of miles since Xmas and had no problems what os ever. The 3 or 4 new cameras I've found have been added by the next months database release. I guess some areas are harder to verify than others.

I've seen the thread on the difficultly of verifying the cameras - have you?
visitor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont drive very far at all !

2000 miles ?? NOTHING !

I work for a a well known maping co, so drive over every road in the UK, then drive over them again, and again and again !

over 280 fakes now removed, and thats when I have time to check, added over 80 fixed gatso's and more..

god you might as well download for free, they are just as good here
[link removed] (I never even registerd there)

Just another con this is, reip off someones database, start a site add a few fakes, and call it your own database..

I wont be back, as im sure this place will be shut down soon for breach of copyright, I do know some of those fakes were put there

Bye !
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another inaccurate and childish rant which fails to answer any questions that anyone puts to them. Shame visitor won't be back because people like that are quite entertaining.

Did i actually say 2000 miles? or did i say "I've done thousands of miles "???
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the one with 2000 miles. Anyhow, I have a pretty good understandong now where "visitor" came from (and where he hopefully went back to). Best would be to close this thread and ignore the troll.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitor wrote:
If someone bought it here and gave it to someone else, it does not make it any different to if you had bought it yourself. And just for the record, I did buy it, and was very disappointed.

Strange then that we have no record of you're ever having been a subscriber!

PLONK
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Haven't you missed an "er" of the end somewhere? Laughing

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: