Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using the Route Tool in MapSource
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the Route Tool in MapSource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Using the Route Tool in MapSource Reply with quote

I am still rather new at using the Quest2 and have come across a problem when building a route on MapSource using the Route Tool.
OK I admit I may have been overly enthusiastic when building the route but I only wanted to ride secondary roads on my forthcoming tour to Italy by bike and therefore used quite a few "via points". Approx 100. On downloading the route to my Quest2 I was informed at the end that the route had been "Truncated" and I needed to press OK. What does this mean and what I need to know "Is there a max no of via points one can use?" Also when opening the downloaded route from the Route Planner menu on the Quest2 I encountered another problem in that the Show Map option would not load the specified route. I subsequently split the original route into two halves (now have approx 55 via points). There is no more "Truncated " problem but the Show Map still refuses to load. I can only assume there are certain limits but the available literature does not specify any. Any comments/help would be appreciated.

Adrian
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may explain your query

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69243

BTW it's an excellent resource for GPS matters and not just GPSR's on BMW GS series bikes

Look for posts by Pan European (a Garmin software tester) HMR and Elsinga
adrianh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the following reply from Garmin re the request I sent to them..

When you create a route, there is a maximum total number
of points that can be included in that route, including the 254 that you can
add yourself. The rest of the points are created by the software and are
responsible for routing between the points that you add yourself. This
total number of points in a route is a huge number but when you start to
build long routes or complex ones like the one you did there is a chance
that this total number of points gets used up. That is what causes the
route truncated error. The only way to fix this is to split the route up.
Hopefully in the future as technology improves this won't be an issue but
for right now, on long or complicated routes, this could be an issue. Sorry
again for any hassles this may cause.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and thank you for your interest in Garmin.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi adrianh
Interested to read your post about trunicating routes etc I have simular problems to you (see posts) and what I have done is download all the waypoints I need from mapsource to the quest and made the Q2 do the routing with the supplied waypoints you might not get all your routes on but you can do them the night before for the next days route I have 5 routes at a time on mine.
You might be interested to do a little experiment download a route from the Q2 that the Quest has calculated to mapsource then go and look at the route on the Pc you will notice quite a few straight lines cutting out bend and curves on the road(it does not have to be exact as it has lock to road function) i.e its a far more simple route than mapsource would produce giving the same start via's and end points this proves to me that the unit is not as complex as the mapsource and PC and also when making a route with Mapsource it is sending far more data than can be seen by counting waypoints in the routing properties page. Not long to the holidays now just hope the Quest behaves itself.

cheers Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: