Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Loader 2.3.1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Loader 2.3.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: POI Loader 2.3.1 Reply with quote

Before i install it on my PC has anyone had any issues with the new POI loader. or do i just test it for the greater good?
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Loader 2.3.1 Reply with quote

sunstrip_steve wrote:
Before i install it on my PC has anyone had any issues with the new POI loader. or do i just test it for the greater good?

Go on you know you want to Wink i have installed and reloaded my poi's but it will be late tomorrow night before i can test live Exclamation .

Improvements are:

Changes made from version 2.2.1 to 2.3.1:

Added support for custom audio prompts
Added support for Garmin's new TourGuide feature
Fixed issue where POI alert proximities specified in MapSource created GPX files could be wrong on the unit
Changed to allow up to 4 lines of header information in .CSV files
Fixed issue where specifying an invalid pathname could cause POI Loader to crash.
slartibartfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried reloading my POIs using express mode and now I get proximity alerts for all POIs!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfast wrote:
Just tried reloading my POIs using express mode and now I get proximity alerts for all POIs!

that could be incredibly annoying unless you can turn the sound off for certain ones in manual mode!!

however, can i really be bothered using manual mode for 40 or so poi categories?! will have a play later...

MaFt

ps - get it from http://www.garmin.com/poiloader
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick look in the help file:

"Your Custom POIs can include .mp3 audio files and customized .bmp images."

however, reading through the help file these can ONLY be added if the poi file is in gpx format...

Ash10 & CBROM - any chance you can get cracking on some new gpx converting software? i.e. pick a csv file, set any relevent proximity or speed alerts and pick an mp3 you want for that particular poi file?

in the mean time i think we should all e-mail garmin and ask for an extra option in the poi loader in manual mode for us to select an audio file for each poi file that get's uploaded... be nice to them and congratulate them on updating the software too though!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent them this:

"Hi, thankyou for the excellent new POI Loader software (2.3.1). I particularly like the idea of having custom audio files for sets of poi's. however, it appears that you can only use mp3 files if the file is made as a gpx file and not for csv files. Would it be possible to have an option in manual mode where you can browse for an mp3 file to be associated with that particular csv file? I think this would make the poi loader ideal then. thanks for your time."
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
any chance you can get cracking on some new gpx converting software? i.e. pick a csv file, set any relevent proximity or speed alerts and pick an mp3 you want for that particular poi file?

It should be very straightforward for me to add support for this ;)

Probably just add a filename display below the sliders, then drag-and-drop an audio file for each camera type 8)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just for speed cameras though, i want one for any files too - i like to challenge you Smile

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the mp3 thing, the readme talks about "compatible hardware" - given that the mp3 file is used as is (I think you just point the path to it in the GPX file), what's the betting that the i3 is compatible?

If I was suspicious, I'd be thinking it's only the sat nav units that can play mp3s - because the voice files are WAV / IMA ADPCM.

I'm just saying...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poi loader converts the csv and gpx files into poi.gpl anyway so they could have made some mp3 to wave convertor in that.

also, from the help file:
Quote:

Your Custom POIs can include .mp3 audio files and customized .bmp images.

You can also create TourGuide files that include .mp3 audio files containing information about the POIs. The audio files play on your compatible Garmin device when you approach a TourGuide point.

this to me implies that a standard poi can have audio and bitmap but for the tourguide files you need a compatable unit (i.e. the new ones that will play mp3's). my understanding of the tourguide files is that you can get a load of audio info about certain places i.e. a reasonable length mp3 file. if this was converted to wav to play on any unit it would be too large a file size. however, for custom alerts for poi's they will be short and once converted to wave will not be that big in size.

this is my opinion so don't quote me on that!!

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
poi loader converts the csv and gpx files into poi.gpl anyway so they could have made some mp3 to wave convertor in that.

also, from the help file:
Quote:

Your Custom POIs can include .mp3 audio files and customized .bmp images.

You can also create TourGuide files that include .mp3 audio files containing information about the POIs. The audio files play on your compatible Garmin device when you approach a TourGuide point.

this to me implies that a standard poi can have audio and bitmap but for the tourguide files you need a compatable unit (i.e. the new ones that will play mp3's). my understanding of the tourguide files is that you can get a load of audio info about certain places i.e. a reasonable length mp3 file. if this was converted to wav to play on any unit it would be too large a file size. however, for custom alerts for poi's they will be short and once converted to wave will not be that big in size.

this is my opinion so don't quote me on that!!

MaFt

I'm just guessing, though, that POIloader doesn't convert the file - it's just the hint with the "compatible" bit.

However, the only way to be sure, is to run it and see what happens.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'compatible' only appears to refer to the tourguide files though
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the 'compatible' only appears to refer to the tourguide files though

Doesn't! ;-) (he's behind you!)

Quote:
Users can create Custom POIs in MapSource and save them in a .gpx file.
You can attach .mp3 audio files to your Custom POIs. You can also create TourGuide points that include .mp3 files containing audio descriptions of the POIs. The .mp3 audio file plays instead of the default alert tone on your compatible Garmin device when you approach a POI.

See the last line, this is the section "Creating Custom POIs in MapSource" - presumably the reference to mapsource, being how to most easily comprise a gpx file.

I'm just guessing in this, that the type of device is important - and I don't think it stands to reason that the i3 automatically is compatible with adding mp3s to custom POIs.

It MIGHT be, and time will tell over that.
slartibartfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:

that could be incredibly annoying unless you can turn the sound off for certain ones in manual mode!!

however, can i really be bothered using manual mode for 40 or so poi categories?! will have a play later...

MaFt

ps - get it from http://www.garmin.com/poiloader

It is incredibly annoying and using manual mode does not cure it. All POIs supposedly without proximity alerts have an alarm range of 1319ft. Someone please tell me the same thing has happened to them. Looks like I'll be reinstalling the older version.
slartibartfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfast wrote:

It is incredibly annoying and using manual mode does not cure it. All POIs supposedly without proximity alerts have an alarm range of 1319ft. Someone please tell me the same thing has happened to them. Looks like I'll be reinstalling the older version.

Sure enough, reinstall 2.2.1 and normal service is resumed. Is this another example of Garmin releasing software without testing it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: