Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New User *** - Nuvi 360 or Nuvi 310D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New User *** - Nuvi 360 or Nuvi 310D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skarcrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: New User *** - Nuvi 360 or Nuvi 310D Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,
have to decide soon between the nuvi 360 or the nuvi 310 Deluxe. I spend most of my time in the UK but have a holiday coming soon in France.

I need bluetooth !! No handsfree kit in car.

With the 310 Deluxe package it states that you get the Maps on CD so will I be able to have both the UK and france installed @ the same time ? Need this as I will be travelling from home near Manchester.

The advantage I see with the 310D is that the travelinfo comes with it. The 360 have TTS but no Travelinfo. Is this feature important.

Any pointers would be very welcome. Have tried a friends Nuvi 300 and love the interface and use so not really interested in TT or other GPS

TIA
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally go for the 310D. TTS sounds great in theory but in reality it doesn't seem to be anything special. The road names sound odd and foreign road names are even worse. Why is there a need for TTS in any case because you are told to turn right in 300yds, 100 yds and turn right now in any case? Also on the TT it tells you the road name you are supposed to turn at on the screen but I am not sure if the Nuvi does.

For pan-European maps you will need a bigger SD card, I recommend a 2GB and then transfer all the maps across for seamless navigation. Please remember that the Nuvi and C5xx series only allow one waypoint if you are planning your own route and therefore not for those who want to be able to plan their own routes etc.

My 2p.
lostinweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to reply about traffic news. This will be a personal decision but I think it would be fantastic to have this feature in a unit.
skarcrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Quick Reply Reply with quote

As Above,

would I need an SD card to load France onto the 310D or does the uint have capacity for this?

BTW. I would alos like to load the speed camera info Smile
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

skarcrow wrote:
As Above,

would I need an SD card to load France onto the 310D or does the uint have capacity for this?

BTW. I would alos like to load the speed camera info Smile

It really depends on how much of France you want to load.
The map selection is not by country, but by smaller areas.

As an experiment, I tried selecting most of Germany with a few surrounding areas and it came to 360MB.

As the 310 has a total of 200MB, this points to needing an SD card.

IMHO, a 1GB SD card shoud be more than enough to store a good selection of Europe maps, plus custom POIs and speed camera stuff.
Maybe a 2GB card if you like to include music & pictures.
skarcrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. Managed to aquire a Nuvi 360 for £320 :D

Next decision is to buy GTM 11 or leave it till later.

BTW do you know if it is possible to load custom POI's as well as the speed camera info ?

Thanks Again
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skarcrow.
Welcome to the club.
I'm running the nuvi 360 and love it to bits after my encounters with other GPS manufacturers.
In answer to your questions:

1. I personally will be leaving the GTM 11 receiver purchase till later, as I've read somewhere round here that coverage in the South of England is pony at the moment, and that's my territory.

2. You can load custom POI's via the POI loader but you must make sure they are in the same folder as your speed cam files. Every time POI's are transferred to the nuvi, it overwrites the existing ones. Confused
Therefore when you update your camera database, be it monthly or whenever, just delete your old camera files from your POI folder on your PC and add the new ones to it, then transfer the lot.
Not what I'm used to but simple enough.

A Nuvi 360 for £320, you've had a result. Paid a lot more than that for mine Embarassed and your European mapping problems are solved too. :D

CeeJay
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Extra costs to 310D (from Halfords) Reply with quote

Just downloaded the speed zone camera database. Didn't appreciate that this was something I'd have to pay extra for - the box and the sales pitch in Halfords kinda makes out that "you can just download the speed camera locations".

Also didn't really appreciate that in order to make my 310D really a European unit then I need to buy an additional SD card onto which I'll have to load the maps.

Kinda makes the £400 price tag actually more like £440 if you really want it to do what it says it can do on the box.

Great piece of kit all the same though
Lairdie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Nuvi and GTM 11 Reply with quote

No need to look further than the Nuvi (any version, I have 2) It's excellent.
Got the GTM 11 and found it is also very good.
Coverage not yet 100% but motorways, where I spend most of my time, well covered.
I have used the combination for about 2 months now and wouldn't want to be without it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: