Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V6 Upgrades, wil they be just the UK or Europe ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V6 Upgrades, wil they be just the UK or Europe ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: V6 Upgrades, wil they be just the UK or Europe ? Reply with quote

If and when TomTom decide to release the next version of their software it will be interesting to see what they offer. The V5 upgrade gave us alll the complete European mapping, therefore the V6 upgrade should upgrade all countries ?

But . . . what about those new customers that purchased V5 and only got the UK maps. I suspect either these customer will be very happy as they will get the European map, or the last v5 upgrades will be disappointed as thay will only get the UK this time.

I don't think we will see the upgrade until the end of August, especially with the problems TomTom have with the x10 range. The next priority will be the older GO models followed by the Navigator & then Mobile customers. So don't bank on new maps for your August bank holiday.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading the software is entirely seperate from upgrading the maps. You will have to pay for V6 of the software but that won't upgrade any of the maps you have - for that you will also need to buy new versions of the maps
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Upgrading the software is entirely seperate from upgrading the maps. You will have to pay for V6 of the software but that won't upgrade any of the maps you have - for that you will also need to buy new versions of the maps

Thats possibly the wrong way round..... the V6 software will most likely be available as a free download - the upgrade will cover the maps to use with it.

Most likely the upgrade of ttnav 6.0 will come with new EU maps like last year. Although these are likely to be only as upto date as those shipping with the go range so will be at least 6 months and more like a year old by the time we see them....

As the next in line for upgrades will be the older GO's I think August or later is very likely (at the earliest) for us to upgrade - previously the upgrade was announced and the shipping date followed upto 2 months later.....

So if they announce this week (based on past performance) we would be lookingat mid August to have the goods - so September is unfortunately favourite...

Having had a play with a 910 I'm underwelmed by the software changes
I JUST WANT NEW MAP DATA please

Also if going on past history version 6.0 will be an unrelenting pile of !"£$ and v 6.1 will then follow a month or 2 later with some of the bugs corrected.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the issues the x10 range has had it really wouldn't surprise me if this is delayed.

As a person who was ready to buy a 910 then stopped after seeing the issues on this board I would recommend the same caution with the upgrade.

The issues that a lot of the users are experiencing with the TT x10 can be put down to inadequate testing in product development - can you be sure they won't do the same with the upgrade?

From past years experience the upgrade can be a little flaky at first and has required at least one patch update to fix problems missed in test.

I intend to leave my upgrade for at least a month until things settle down with it.

Hope this helps.

Chris
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you pay for it depends what product you have. If you have TT hardware (Go 300/500/700) then it will probably come as a free download. But I doubt whether it will if you have just the software, i.e. TT Navigator 5.

Put it this way TT did not offer free upgrades from TT3 to TT5 did they? The most that happened was that you got a discount. AFAIK when Microsoft bring out a new version of windows you don't get it free if you have the old one.

Since this forum is specifically about TT5 software, not the TT Go, I answered in the way that I did. .
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Why, on what basis do you make this statement?

When I upgraded from TT3 to TT5, I got a new version of the software, a new verison of the UK map and a whole load of additional Eurpoean maps (this was the clincher for me to upgrade). There wasn't an option to pick and choose which parts you upgraded.

Likewise they offered an upgrade to all the existing maps you owned, you had to provide proof of ownership when completing the upgrade purchase.

On that basis, I'd expect a similar offer to be forthcoming for the TT5 to TT6 upgrade.

Let's wait and see.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: