Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Makayama Interactive release Media Studio for TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Makayama Interactive release Media Studio for TomTom
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Makayama Interactive release Media Studio for TomTom Reply with quote

Makayama Interactive release a video compression and viewing suite for the TomTom GO.

The TomTom GO is based on the Open Source Linux operating system. The essence of the Open Source project is that it allows other developers to use the code as a basis for developing applications. TomTom produced the navigation software for the GO, and there have been some "proof of concept" applications developed, but the first (to my knowledge) 'proper' application is the Makayama Interactive Media Studio for TomTom.

Back in March we met the guys from Makayama Interactive on our stand at CeBIT, where we saw a demo of the Media Studio for TomTom output. This has now been finalised and is available at €29.95 plus VAT from the Makayama Interactive web site.

So what does it do?

Basically there are 2 parts to the software. The first runs on your PC and converts Video from any source (including DVD) into a highly compressed file that will fit onto a 128Mb or larger memory card. The second application is installed on your TomTom GO (not the GOx10 models at the moment) and is used to view the movie. The clever guys at Makayama Interactive have even built in a safety cutout to stop the video if the car is moving.

Below is the full Press release from Makayama Interactive:
Quote:
PRESS RELEASE

31-may-2006

First video software for TomTom released
Media Studio for TomTom® turns navigation device into portable media center

Makayama Interactive today introduces Media Studio for TomTom® 1.0. With this innovative software, consumers can turn their TomTom GO navigation system into a media and movie playback device. DVDs, recorded TV-series or any other video can be put on the TomTom using only three clicks, and can be watched on the LCD screen, with excellent sound. The software is a bundle of media conversion software and video player and is the first such product worldwide that allows media content to be converted and played back on the TomTom devices.

The software runs on a Windows computer, users pick any video file from their harddrive, CD or DVD and the Media Studio for TomTom turns it into a compressed movie file, which can be played on-the-go from the memorycard or from the built-in harddrive. Subtitled and foreign language DVDs are also supported.

Media Studio for TomTom provides direct DVD-to-TomTom transfers and also the speediest. In less than 45 minutes, a movie can be transferred from DVD to the navigation device. The software is targeted at video and movie enthusiasts and frequent travellers. It can be used for video presentations, to watch tv-series on the go, or to take a favourite movie on a holiday or business trip. Because the TomTom is a detachable and portable device, the videos may ofcourse also be watched outside the car.
A unique safety feature has been built in. If the software detects vehicle movement, it will auto-stop the movie playback, ensuring car and driver safety. Optionally, this safety feature may be turned off, for example when parents would like to let their kids watch a video in the back of the car.
The software captures all content (AVI, MPEG1, MPEG4, DivX, XVID, VOB, ASF) on all drives (harddrive, CD, DVD, removable) and encodes it to MPEG4. The converted content can be sent to the TomTom over a USB-cable/cradle or to a memorycard reader. For one hundred minutes of media content, a 256 Mb memorycard is recommended, but 128 Mb is enough.

The following TomTom models are supported:
TOMTOM GO, GO 300, GO 500, GO 700, (One, Rider, 510, 710, 910 will be supported later)
The free tryout version allows users to convert 3 minutes of all content. The software runs on Windows XP/2000/NT/Vista.

The online download price is USD 32.95 (EUR 29.95). A free demo version is available.

Company Profile
Makayama Interactive is an innovative startup company. Media Studio for TomTom is a family of products, which Makayama is developing. The products function as an offline hub between PC’s and mobile devices, allowing (home) movies, DVD, tv and downloaded content to be played on personal organisers, mobile phones, portable mediaplayers and game consoles. Makayama aims to make platform-shift of media content a two-click experience for consumers. Members of the Mobile Media Studio family include versions for Pocket PC, Palm, iPod, PSP, Sony and Casio digital camera’s, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson phones and Windows Mobile Smartphones.

More information
Makayama Interactive, Amsterdam
Product page: http://www.makayama.com/dvdtotomtom.html
Customers: support@makayama.com

tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - seems a bit weird to me. Let me get this right - so you buy a navigation system for 4-5 hundred quid, but when you're driving you give it to the kids to watch video in the back of the car? (while you go back to rowing with the wife over her map-reading!). You can buy a portable DVD player for around 60 quid these days!

Or perhaps you get to the end of a long journey using the TomTom as it was intended, but then instead of gratefully getting out of the drivers seat to stretch your legs you stay in the car and watch a movie on your TomTom? ... I don't think so!

I wonder if this isn't available for the x10 models because they couldn't get one to stay powered-up on the lousy car mount for long enough to test it!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Laughing

I think they need to rewrite the app for the different screen size and audio hardware of the x10 range, hence the statement. The mplayer is already present on those devices, so that's not the reason.

We're looking into doing a review of the software, so stay tuned.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the poster tedkay. Seems very stupid that the video playback doesn't work while the device is moving. That means it's no use on a plane/coach/rear or passenger seats etc. If you're stupid enough to watch video while you're driving then that's your own problem. It shouldn't be enforced in the software. Imagine if all the other portable DVD players and the IPOD Video did the same thing. Nobody would buy any of them! Very silly idea indeed. I presume there's no legal liability anyway so I don't get why they've done it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Makayama Interactive release Media Studio for TomTom Reply with quote

Quote:
Optionally, this safety feature may be turned off, for example when parents would like to let their kids watch a video in the back of the car.

There - just switch it off. No problem.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Makayama Interactive release Media Studio for TomTom Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Quote:
Optionally, this safety feature may be turned off, for example when parents would like to let their kids watch a video in the back of the car.

There - just switch it off. No problem.

How on earth did I miss that?! Sorry. Ignore me!

But half my point still stands - if you can turn it off, then what on earth is the point of it?
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait for this for the 910, i spend a lot of time on the road and that means spending loads of time in hotels with crappy terristerial TV, it would be great to be able to load a dvd onto the 910 to be able to watch in the room etc.
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with tedkay... WHY?

I wish TomTom would concentrate more on correct map info and NAV features.

Also, a driver should not be able to view a 'TV' screen whilst the vehicle is moving above a walking pace. This is why factory fitted TV/NAV/phone etc systems disable the TV feature above about 5 mph.
bigblueone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the software has not been produced by tomtom. personally i think its a fantastic idea. and something i will be purchasing, without doubt. will let you know.
fallyhag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TTG 300

I have put the trial software on and converted a DVD.

But when I play it back it is VERY jerky. Anyone else tried it yet?

As it stands, I wouldnt buy it on that performance Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The processor on the TTGO 300 may not be up to the task. Try reducing the video and audio quality settings

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bigblueone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the cpu in the 300 is not as fast as the one, 500 and 700, so that may be your problem. smooth as a babys bum on my 500!
Dajan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will the software be available for the One and will the One be up to it as the TTG 300 seems to struggle as stated by fallyhag

Dave
bigblueone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this software should work on the one. it has a faster processor than the 300 and runs the same software. just need a bigger memory card!
AndyWak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the full version of this program on my GO 700.

First of all beware. The program requires the SDK firmware 5.203 included with the program. I had used 5.202 in the past and was not too concerned about this, but it seems that for some mad unknown reason TomTom has decided to reduce the POI categories down to just 27 in this version. If you use the speed rated camera files, you can only add a couple more.

I am quite impressed with the program itself though. The playback quality is good for the size of the screen. Audio seemed reasonable given the little TomTom speaker. You can pause and resume, but only whilst the video file is loaded, if you exit the application, you will have to start the movie again. It would be handy if the developers found a way for the program to remember the last file played and be able to resume from the last point the movie was at, even if you have switched the unit off.

I have converted a few music videos and a film and the conversion rates are reasonably fast and don’t seem too use up too much resource during the process. The music videos came out around 20Mb each the film was around 450Mb. This was OK for me as the 700 had around 950Mb free when I started.

Personally for me it will be quite useful, however I can see why other posters are asking "WHY?", I drive around the UK almost every day and think this is a good idea if you often have sit in your car waiting for something or just want a change from the radio DJ's or CD collections.

Hopefully if TomTom ever get there act together on this SDK thing, this program will be a nice little addition, if you like that kind of thing.
TomTom Go 700
Western_Europe-Map v568
-------------------------------

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: