Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot...

it would appear that the i3 accepts any maps that are unlocked on your computer.

have a play & have a blast :D

regards

Adam
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: I3 UK Maps. Reply with quote

adam808 wrote:
DO NOT REPEAT, DO NOT

try & download maps to your original flash card.

you WILL lose the data thats already their.

I found this out the hard way.... Sad

PS CPW are doin 1gb flash for £45, ok so that ain't quite ebay - but u get a SD convertor with it & 45quid to garantee the 'safety' of the orginal card is well worth it in my book...

You're not the only one ( Embarassed ) How did you get the UK maps back?
danieljacks0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an i3 but it is without a mini SD card, although there is a slot for one.

1) Does this mean the data previously on the card is now pre-loaded?

2) It seems to be full of UK info but when i try to search for eg Paris, I can only find small towns but no cities outside UK. Is this normal?

Cheers.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danieljacks0n wrote:
I've just bought an i3 but it is without a mini SD card, although there is a slot for one.

1) Does this mean the data previously on the card is now pre-loaded?

Correct

Quote:
2) It seems to be full of UK info but when i try to search for eg Paris, I can only find small towns but no cities outside UK. Is this normal?

You should have northern coast of France in street level detail, other than that you're using the basemap which isn't much use for finding anything. You can upload your own POIs if you can get the Long/Lat for the points in Europe you're interested in (Autoroute is handy for that) and navigate using the crude basemap, major roads only though.
danieljacks0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chas,

Just one further query, when you say navigate using the major roads, i.e. on the EU basemap further afield than Northern France, would I be able to plan a route to a major road/ intersection or just use the i3 to confirm my current location/ heading?

Or to put the same question another way, when I am closer (100 miles or so) to Nice in the South of France would I be able to use my i3 to search for and have route guidance to Nice via major roads?

I cannot find Nice or even Paris currently when in the North of England, so does the basemap know where they are but won't allow navigation to these cities?

Thanks again.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not absolutely certain what level of detail is in the basemap, I haven't used the i3 outside of the UK yet but have done some experimentation in simulation mode. I don't think cities, or for that matter any places are included. Navigating to junctions doesn't seem to work either.

However, I've just uploaded a Favourite using EasyGPS, this was a Long/Lat in central Nice. Navigating from Deauville in Northern France resulted in a route of 60 steps, each of these use specific road names or numbers all the way so the data must be in the basemap. The disadvantage of this is that whilst you can upload a long list of Favourites of all the places you intend to visit you can't search for any destinations or do impromptu navigation.

I suggest that you download EasyGPS and have a try yourself, you can get Long/Lat data from Multimap if you don't have Autoroute.

If you're going to France more than once or maybe twice in the next couple of years I would have thought that buying the transflash card would be worth while.
danieljacks0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think the card might be the way to go in the future. I just wanted to see what you could get out of this unit, what fantastic value though for £130 from Comet!

Thanks for the link to EasyGPS I think some testing is in order.

DAn
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Italy and tried the i3 out there, with just the UK card. No routing but major features such as lakes and motorways were shown, which was handy when not knowing where to go and using it as a higher-tech compass with some landmarks on. I'd get the proper card if going abroad again though - would have come in handy dozens of times on the holiday if I'd had the right card, and I'd have been happy paying £100 odd for it if I'd found one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: