Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - medion 96800
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

medion 96800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: medion 96800 Reply with quote

hi all. well as you can tell from the previous posts it is possible to modify the medion unit to run tomtom navigator 5. I have also installed the maps of california and australia. but guess what? I' in Los Angeles right now I flew over yesterday on y way to Oz. and lo and behold it doesn't work here. I can browse the map but I cant navigate with it. it cant find a GPS signal. I've tried all the baud rate settings to no avail. as I increase the setting past the 4800 mark the unit starts clicking and whirring of its own accord untill it finally freezes and I have to do a soft reset. any Ideas any one? or should I have just bitten the bullet and bought one in Oz?
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had it working before in the UK? If so change all the settings for the GPS back to what worked before. You don't need to fiddle with the baud rate - only one setting will work, and that settings is whatever the GPS hardware is talking at, probably 4800.

Remember, after flying to LA you'll need to wait a good 10 minutes for the GPS to get it's first lock since you've moved so far. Are you sure you waited long enough before fiddling with the settings?
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: medion 96800 in america Reply with quote

yes I waited all day coz when I got here the battery was low, so I plugged it into the mains to recharge it. I left it there all day turned on. when I got back it was still a blue screen with the position cursor and the message no valid GPS signal. I have now done a hard reset, wiped the SD card and started again. I have only loaded the map of california and TTnav 5. there is no navigon stuff on it and its still the sae. " waiting for a valid GPS signal".
pretty much a waste of time and money i reckon. hopefully I'll find some aussies going to the uk that need a sat nav.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: medion 96800 in america Reply with quote

exbootneck wrote:
pretty much a waste of time and money i reckon. hopefully I'll find some aussies going to the uk that need a sat nav.

Well I can assure you that all GPS units work worldwide..... there's no such thing as a GPS that only works in the UK!

Maybe you're problem is that you're trying to run the TomTom software on a unit that wasn't designed to do that? If you were using the software that came with it and it wasn't working then you'd have a legitimate complaint. As it is, quit whining and next time if you want TomTom then buy a bloody TomTom!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
exbootneck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: tomtom on medion Reply with quote

just a bit of information for you all to prevent any more sarcastic comments like the one above. the medion 96800 with its Navigon software is a brilliant, slimline GPS unit. unfortunately navigon only do maps for europe and north america, they don't do australia. so i had a dillemma, sell of my new medion at a discount and get a tomtom coz they are the only company in the northern hemisphere that did maps of oz.or wait till I got to OZ and buy a sat nav there. further investigations showed that sat navs in OZ are extorsionally expensive. I did find though that the MIO 269+ was sold in both the UK and OZ. ther is a £300 price difference though in the UKs favor. however they are completely incompatible with each others software so that idea fell flat too.
thats when I found out that the tomtoms sold in both countries were compatible with each others maps, and again there was a large price difference so I decided to convert the Medion. when I get to Oz I'll no doubt find the reason for the price difference. maybe the satellites used are geo-stationary (for HOOLOOVOO that means they don't move relative to the planet surface) and the send out different signals in each hemisphere but what do I know? I'm just a whiner.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom on medion Reply with quote

exbootneck wrote:
sell of my new medion at a discount and get a tomtom coz they are the only company in the northern hemisphere that did maps of oz

Yes. That would have been the better solution.

Even better would have been to have done more research on what maps were available before buying your "new medion". Then you might not have had a dilemma in the first place.

Quote:
maybe the satellites used are geo-stationary (for HOOLOOVOO that means they don't move relative to the planet surface) and the send out different signals in each hemisphere but what do I know? I'm just a whiner.

Thanks for the science lesson. However with two degrees in Physics and Astrophysics I don't really need it, but thanks anyway.

No, the satellites are not geostationary. The height of the orbits is about 20200 km which is classed as medium earth orbit. Geostationary satellites like ASTRA orbit the earth at 42300 km about twice the distance of GPS satellites.

I have two GPS recievers (one SatNav, one a conventional handheld GPS) bought in the UK. I have used both of them in the UK, Western Australia, Chile, and Tenerife, during the course of my job and they all work flawlessly.

As I said, somewhat sarcastically I'll admit, is that you're attempting to run TomTom on a device that does not meet the minimum requirements. I don't recally reading on here that ANYONE has got TomTom running on a 95900 or 96800 perfectly with everything functioning no problems at all.

You really should have either bought a PNA that comes with TomTom and is therefore guaranteed to work, or bought a PocketPC based PDA that is capable of running TomTom.

Buying a Medion and attempting to hack it wasn't really the best decision in the world. Especially if you wanted something that was mission-critical and that wouldn't give you any hassle during your travels.

I'm sorry but there's not much more to say. If you can't get it to work then you're SOL I'm afraid.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha... I wrote that before reading your abusive PM.

I wish I hadn't bothered now.

So I'm a condesending f**kwit am I?

I'm lucky you're on the otherside of the planet am I?

Why's that then? You gonna come and get me? That'll be a laugh since your GPS isn't working and you no doubt couldn't find your way out of a carpark without it.

Quit whining and buy a proper TomTom.

Idiot.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41017
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41017

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: