Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am I Going Mad?!?!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I Going Mad?!?!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Am I Going Mad?!?!? Reply with quote

I have been e-mailing Garmin regarding the problems that I have been experiencing on my i3 (Namely Screen Lag and Slow Refreshes) and thought I was making progress... Until now!!!

Garmin have suggested that I return my Unit as they have not had these problems experienced by any other user...

Now either I am going mad or they are telling porkies.

If you have had a problem on any Firmwares 2.9, 3.0 or 3.1 and have reported it to Garmin can you please post the FW you were using, the Problem you experienced and the name of the Garmin Rep who contacted you (or if you just got an automated reply the date you got it).

I will then feed thid information back to the Rep I am dealing with so he can then find out exactly how many people have been affected... yet again I am doing Garmins work for them.

Please keep this on topic.

Thanks Trev
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start this off.

In F/W 2.9, 3.0 and 3.10 I have experienced Screen Lags, Slow Refreshes and Random Zooming in Map Mode. This has been reported to Garmin and Luke Razack, Customer Support and Ollie Stone
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hold on a mo.....some firmwares have worked for some people and not for others...you can generalise but you wont get a difinitive answer....i'm still using version 2.7 and am quite happy with it, others who used it found problems.....
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
hold on a mo.....some firmwares have worked for some people and not for others...you can generalise but you wont get a difinitive answer....i'm still using version 2.7 and am quite happy with it, others who used it found problems.....
I am not trying to generalise, just get a feel for how many people are experiencing problems. If it is just me (as Garmin claim then I will happily send my unit back. I would just like to know.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I Going Mad?!?!? Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
Screen Lag and Slow Refreshes

Do you have WAAS switched on? WAAS takes a lot more CPU power and it used to make my old GPS-V much slower to update but the catch is that it is only slow when you have a lock on the WAAS satellite (I don't think there is any way of knowing this on the i3).

If you have WAAS enabled then try turning it off and see if that makes things better. Bit of a long shot - let us know how you get on!
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I Going Mad?!?!? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
trevf wrote:
Screen Lag and Slow Refreshes

Do you have WAAS switched on? WAAS takes a lot more CPU power and it used to make my old GPS-V much slower to update but the catch is that it is only slow when you have a lock on the WAAS satellite (I don't think there is any way of knowing this on the i3).

If you have WAAS enabled then try turning it off and see if that makes things better. Bit of a long shot - let us know how you get on!
Thanks Skippy will try that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported white screen problems and screen lag to Phil Elliott at Garmin for both the 2.9 and 3.0 FW around the 20th April 2006. I haven't bothered with the 3.10 FW...
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reported stuttery screen refreshes, white screen and total freeze to alastair ingason first week or so in april.
this was with 2.9 only.

have not bothered with 3.0 or 3.1
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have passed this on. Any more, keep them coming.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest this is the email address i used when i contacted garmin.
i did get replies.

http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

i have asked for it to be placed as a sticky so that we are all using the same and not "hunting" for an address.

hope this is helpful
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
i did get replies.

i have asked for it to be placed as a sticky so that we are all using the same and not "hunting" for an address.

hope this is helpful
Thanks Mat, I did use that then got a direct e-mail address which I have been using since.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
matb wrote:
i did get replies.

hope this is helpful
Thanks Mat, I did use that then got a direct e-mail address which I have been using since.

i trust that is a specific address for the individual you are dealing with, as stated ?
i dont know if that person would appreciate "lots" of emails hence why i have submitted the garmin web site one.
i may be wrong.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
trevf wrote:
matb wrote:
i did get replies.

hope this is helpful

i trust that is a specific address for the individual you are dealing with, as stated ?
i dont know if that person would appreciate "lots" of emails hence why i have submitted the garmin web site one.
i may be wrong.
The guy doesn't appear to mind. He also keeps asking for more info. I think a single point of contact is better especially as it seems that one employee at Garmin doesn't know what has been reported to others at Garmin.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my request for the email sticky is here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40717

feel free to add your single poc but my concern is if your bloke goes we're knackered.

thoughts ?
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i emailed garmin at the start of the week with the links for the f/w 2.9, 3.0 +3.1 feedbacks from this site.

i also informed them that the 74492 registered users look forward to what they had to say. Laughing

during the email i made reference to beta 2.82 being possibly the best, and that they should consider rolling it out, as is, again as the latest f/w but with the poi's grouped. Question

likewise i requested that the legal screen time showing of +8secs was possibly to long and that switching to the map view straight after this maybe better than the where to, view map, settings page which could be brought up by pressing the back button.

rebecca ford has replied today saying she has passed my email onto the technicians.

will update you if/ when i get a reply. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: