Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera warning regardless of speed!?!?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera warning regardless of speed!?!?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzibit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Camera warning regardless of speed!?!?! Reply with quote

Hi, first post here!! :D I have done a search on this, but am still clueless!!

I earlier downloaded the camera database onto my i3, and they all appear in my custom locations, and on the map, when i view map.

I read this in another thread.

Quote:
Note your camera warnings will not beep or show up on your machine unless you are over the speed limit for that camera. You can tweek this by opening the CVS spreadsheet on each of the camera files. Do a "Find and Replace" and put in find the @ sign and replace with space space. Now load these together with your POIS again from the ONE folder. Now the camera postion will beep and show the speed limit for that camera plus the icon will show on your screen.

Does this mean that how I have them now, the i3 will only let me know if I am over the limit? If I want to be warned of cameras coming up regardless of speed, I have to open the .cvs files in excel and replace the "@" signs in all of the lines before the speed with a double space ie "spacebar spacebar". Then it will warn me? When I have done that, I upload them all the same as I did before, and it'll overwrite what I have already uploaded? As I don't want all the info on the twice!?!?

Sorry for this, I am a complete novice, and hope somebody can help me.

Many thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will get an initioal 'bong' as you approach the camera and get the red warning bar at the top of the screen. after that initial bong you will get repeated warnings if you are going too fast.

MaFt
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in short yes.

if you delete the @ and replace with "spacebar spacebar" it will not recognise a specific speed setting for that particular camera. it is important that you add the double space so that you get a gap between the camera id number and the speed.
what you will get is the initial bong bong, the red banner, across the top of the screen, with the camera details and the speed setting.

ie alert:gatso:1223 30

the icon will show on the map as well as the above until you have past the camera regardless of your speed.
there is no over speed bings.

as you rightly said when you upload again it will overwrite the existing files and any other poi's you have loaded.
make sure you add the ammended camera files in to one folder with your other poi's you may have loaded, then upload.

easy as that Wink
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you will get an initioal 'bong' as you approach the camera and get the red warning bar at the top of the screen. after that initial bong you will get repeated warnings if you are going too fast.

MaFt

you beat me to a reply MaFt.
i have mine set as this and you do not get an overspeed bing just the initial bongs and visuals until the camera is past.
without the @ it cannot recognise a specific speed setting.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself a whole load of grief and use my camera updater - see the stickies at the top of this forum, or click on the link below ;)
xzibit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

This is what I want to happen, so do I just leave it how it is? With the "@"'s inplace?
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xzibit wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

This is what I want to happen, so do I just leave it how it is? With the "@"'s inplace?

if you want the initial bongs and the overspeed bings then leave it alone.
use ash10's camera tweaker for that "just how i want it" touch ie changing the proximity distance/ times.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xzibit wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

The default behaviour is this:

As you approach a camera, if (and only if) you're exceeding the speed limit - the camera icon appears with a red warning banner and a single bong-bong. If you continue to exceed the speed limit, you'll get a repeated bing-bing until you slow down.

If you're not exceeding the speed limit as you approach the camera, you'll get nothing - no icon, no banner, no bong, zilch.

Like many others, I found this default behaviour to be unsatisfactory - which is why I wrote my updater utility.
xzibit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, I understand now, so if I'm not exceeding the limit it won't tell me. Well, I want it to tell me whether i'm above or below the limit. Will use that thingy to change it then!!

Another thing kinda on the same subject, there is a mobile camera site near my house, in a 40mph limit, but it is not on the database I downloaded. How can I add it to my i3, and how can I let everyone else know it's occaisionally there??!?!?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xzibit wrote:
there is a mobile camera site near my house, in a 40mph limit, but it is not on the database I downloaded. How can I add it to my i3, and how can I let everyone else know it's occaisionally there??!?!?

Stand in the middle of the road and wave your arms about furiously Twisted Evil

Seriously though, there should be link on the page that you downloaded the database from for reporting new/updated camera sites ;)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
The default behaviour is this:

As you approach a camera, if (and only if) you're exceeding the speed limit - the camera icon appears with a red warning banner and a single bong-bong. If you continue to exceed the speed limit, you'll get a repeated bing-bing until you slow down.

If you're not exceeding the speed limit as you approach the camera, you'll get nothing - no icon, no banner, no bong, zilch.

Like many others, I found this default behaviour to be unsatisfactory - which is why I wrote my updater utility.

Ash - don't think you're right about the default behaviour.

By default, assuming you have proximity alerts turned on - if you're approaching a speed camera included in the loaded POIs, and you're driving at or below (so long as you're not quite a lot under the speed limit) the speed limit, and you've accepted default options for POIloader, once within "range" you'll get an attention bong, and a red banner with the info for the POI in the banner. This will last for the duration that you're within the range.

So not exactly no information, just no icon on the map, if you're travelling below the speed limit, but still an attention tone when you get in range, plus a red banner.

Assuming all of the above scenario, but you are over the speed limit, then all of the above will apply, plus the icon will be shown on the map, and you'll be subject to the i3 repeatedly bonging to in an attempt to get you to slow down.

The main issues most seemed to have with the default behaviour, was that camera icons didn't show - unless you were above the speed limit, and that the POIloader options for customising the alerts didn't seem to work.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Ash - don't think you're right about the default behaviour.

Quite possible - it's been quite a while since I last used the default setup. Can anyone else confirm, one way or the other? Rolling Eyes
mccstuff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lester, my I3 behaves as he describes. It would be handy to turn the icon on thou' as sometimes it warns you very early of a camera which might be in the same road but turns out is a mile away.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccstuff wrote:
I'm with Lester, my I3 behaves as he describes. It would be handy to turn the icon on thou'

Well you can - two members of this community (Ash10 and cbrom) have developed freeware applications that allow you to do just that very thing (ie always have the icons for speed cameras displayed) as well as being able to fully customise the alert distances / timings for the various camera types and the speeds involved.
guitareth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By default, assuming you have proximity alerts turned on - if you're approaching a speed camera included in the loaded POIs, and you're driving at or below (so long as you're not quite a lot under the speed limit) the speed limit, and you've accepted default options for POIloader, once within "range" you'll get an attention bong, and a red banner with the info for the POI in the banner. This will last for the duration that you're within the range.

Had my i3 for just over a week now, and been using it with the latest speed camera database - unedited. I can confirm that the default behaviour is as above.
Audio v2.30
HTC Desire Android Smartphone
--------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: