Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems switching to new SD card with 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems switching to new SD card with 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Problems switching to new SD card with 510 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been trying without success to switch the SD card of my 510 to a bigger capacity card. First I tried a backup and restore using TTHOME, then by manual copy... problem is the 510 just keeps cycling through the boot sequence then powers off after the splash screen.

Support have been no good - they say its the SD card or to reset the machine (which I have several times now). SD card seems fine.

Anyone any ideas on whats up?
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Problems switching to new SD card with 510 Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying without success to switch the SD card of my 510 to a bigger capacity card. First I tried a backup and restore using TTHOME, then by manual copy... problem is the 510 just keeps cycling through the boot sequence then powers off after the splash screen.

Do you have an SD card reader you can use? If not you can pick them up very cheaply these days. I know that this works as I've done it myself this evening.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daft question, but how is the SD card formatted? FAT, FAT32, NTFS? I'm not near my TT at the minute, but maybe it's in the wrong format? I've no doubt you checked this, but worth asking.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a SanDisk card reader and also used this - also its formatted FAT32. I was wondering if it's related to the Security owner feature, but I tried removing the password and copying again...

Still no joy Crying or Very sad
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see all of the correct files on the new card? All I can suggest is trying another SD card. What you're doing certainly should work.
Canny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just put a 1Gb card in my TTG510. It is formatted to FAT (not FAT32) Exclamation . I did not separately format the card before I copied the files to it.

Backing up/restoring may not work while the TTG is on and connected to your PC because some system files may be in use. Rather, put the new card in a card reader, connect the TTG and using windows explorer, copy all the files and folders from the root directory of the TTG to the new SD card in the card reader.

Don't have TT Home running while you do this. Just have the TTG switched on so windows recognises it as a hard drive.

Turn off the TTG, and replace the SD card with the new one.

It should all work now, but if not, just try switching it off and on again.

Don't replace the SD card while the TTG is in it's cradle.

Hope that helps.

Steve. Wink
aeroflott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will almost certainly be a problem with your TT not liking the SD card.

I had to exchange a SanDisc for a Kingston. The TT simply wouldn't read the SanDisc.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be the card, although I have no problems with a 1GB SanDisk SD card in a 510.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't figure it out.... guess I'll stick to the 256Mb card for now.

Other "bugs" that are annoying me... it doesn't seem to hold a charge and it seems to take an age with or without the splash screen to boot up. I thought deleting it would remove the annoying delay, but seems not... also bluetooth/wireless access seems hit an miss... starting to loose faith in TomTom - just a good job I haven't had any GPS issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: