Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy TomTom Traffic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy TomTom Traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Should I buy TomTom Traffic? Reply with quote

Is it worth it? Does it really work?
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. Personally I never trust one single source of information. I back up tomtom traffic with trafficTV (Traffic Master Data).

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
Goldie71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a copy of the files for the tomtom traffic as my trial has expired, does anyone know where im meant to install them ? 8O
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy TomTom Traffic? Reply with quote

TheIce wrote:
Is it worth it? Does it really work?

I'd try and get a trial first and form your own opinion - IMHO it's not worth what they are charging for it.

Chris
Goldie71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with ^^^ the trial would be a good way to see what you get for your money. I certainly wouldnt pay what they are asking for it. i found a copy of the files on the internet so downloaded them, now i need to find out where i put the damn things ! Rolling Eyes Laughing
strickers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had traffic since the outset, it is wrong more often than it is right. Quite frankly it is a complete ripoff, I certainly won't be renewing.
Goldie71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ive sorted the 'free' copy of tomtom traffic i aquired and its installed fine Laughing
tbarnes520
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used TomTom Traffic for around 8 months and would say that it has saved me from around 70% of the traffic problems in the UK and more like 80% in the rest of Europe. It must have saved me in excess of 70 hours sat in traffic, but I do about 70,000 miles a year so it may not have the same impact for you.

I will not leave home without it.

Tomtom Navigator 5 on a HP Ipaq HX4700, Mio 268, TT3 on Ipaq 5555, and a host of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the trial, and I won't buy it.

I drive through Nottingham regularly and there were some major road works that lasted for around 6 weeks that didn't make it into the database. Not to mention several other areas with only around 1-2 weeks disruption.

When the A52 was heavy into the city, no mention of any problems, the next day with light traffic and it announces 30minute delays.

Maybe the data is getting better (this was around 3 months ago) but it's just not worth it IMHO.

However use the trial and make up your own mind, it is free to try and easy to set up.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also check the cost of the GPRS link through your mobile phone. In one month, at 2 hours a day, with updates every 15 mins, I racked up 16mb of data charges. Depending on your supplier, you could be paying from £1 to £2.30 per mb. Makes it VERY expensive.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TTT and drive around 30k a year. I am on my second year now and once you learn how to use it then it is ok.

The data is not as good as Trafficmaster as they do not have bridge monitors but they get it from various other sources. I used to use Traffic master too but this year I have not renewed, if I need to double check traffic info I will use one of the mobile services (such as RAC 1740 but note it costs 60p a minute, works mobile so I don't worry about cost)

I tend to ignore any traffic info where the hold up is 10 mins or less, I have my TOMTOM set to route me if it finds a better route less than the possible hold up, this is great when you have a accident or road block it can save you hours. Gets a little annoying for some of the smaller holdups, but I tend to gauge how the road is running or if the Gantry Signs are mentioning a queue ahead before taking the new route. Sometimes I will just take the new route if its only added around 15mins to my journey just in case.

I do like the fact you see your whole journey from the outset with TTT, trafficmaster had better data but it only used to keep me informed of the next 3 junctions or so.

My GPRS costs are not great. I have it set to update every 15mins, I drive over 2000 miles a month and only have a PAYG Orange mobile set for my TTT, a £10 top up will last me over 6 months, in fact I think I'm on my 3rd top up and am not far off 2 years use.

Take the trial and try it for yourself, ok it's not brilliant but I like the "all in 1" package and once you get used to it you will save driving time.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting to see how others get on with the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver if it ever arrives as a one off cost would suit me better.

Goldie71, What is this 'free' copy of tomtom traffic you are talking about?

Honda Jazz EX-Navi MKIII
fisk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Testing TTTraffic Reply with quote

It's difficult to test the serice because we don't have absolutely reliable information.

I can say though that it was right twice on the A1 on monday morning and it's right today with the major incidents that are on theAA.com.

So as a test try checking it against say theAA.com and that way you can start to get a picture of whether it's worth having.

I'm on my free trial with vodafone payg.
thompster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the free trial around the M25 and it is absolute rubbish. Some examples:

It correctly shows the roadworks currently around the M25 Potters Bar - Enfield area but always shows a delay regardless of current conditions. The first time I tried TTT it warned of a 45 minute delay. Fantastic I thought and was glad of the alternate route offered. Trouble is it diverts you off the M25 at Potters Bar, through Enfield and back on the M25. Nice idea if the junction it takes you to wasn't closed in one direction - you end up having to go the opposite way on the M25, past the non existant delay, right back to where you started and then back again on the M25.

It also missed the A127 being completeley shut coming out of London last night. In fact I suspect it relies on expected delays rather than what is actually happening and as such is no more useful than a look at Teletext prior to setting out.
moggers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well is it possible to use a TMC module with TomTom???
GPS: Hiacom Hi-204E with Hi-403BT

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: