Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NMEA or SiRF?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NMEA or SiRF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizza2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: NMEA or SiRF? Reply with quote

What are the main differences between NMEA and SiRF protocols. Which one should i be using for best results? Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main difference is that NMEA is clear text (you can understand the text that comes through) and SiRF is binary - you just see garbles. In theory, SiRF therefore has better utilization of the serial communication link (takes less time to download the same amount of information).

Now the GPS update frequency is fixed at 1 second - you cannot get updates every ten milliseconds for example - so the SIRF advantage is rather academic. All depends on the robustness of the serial port listener on your PC or PocketPC. If you use SiRF at high baud rates then your machine can wait faster for the next update...

So using SiRF or NMEA has no influence on the GPS functionality, it only affects the operating system of your Pocket PC or PC, and only mildly.

99% of all users leave it at 4800 NMEA and are perfectly happy with it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad someone else shares my opinion. I generally use all my applications using NMEA, most dont recognise SiRF anyway.

The only other advantage I know of with SiRF is that you can actually program the GPS. This if course can be very dangerous if you are not too sure what you are doing and make a mistake.

Currently NMEA is the most widely supported GPS protocol with all GPS applications suppporting it. So at the risk of being a stick in the mud my recommendation would be to stay with NMEA unless you have a single GPS app that uses SiRF.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: