Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 on its A*** or Elbow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 on its A*** or Elbow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310 on its A*** or Elbow Reply with quote

I recently bought a Nuvi 310, having been a TomTom Customer for years. The latest TomTom offerings are too bulky! So I thought the Nuvi 310 looked neat and functional. I used it in Anger for the first time today. A Jouney from M6 J21 to St helens Merseyside. I was first amazed to find that id didn't use the M62 but used 'back roads' ! But I was really thrown when at 3 junctions on 'Back roads' the voice told me to Turn Right while the map told me to Turn Left. This journey has made me doubt whether the Garmin Nuvi is for me.
Has any on else had similar problems?

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nuvi 350.
No problems at all here and in Europe, Mapping is the biz so far. Awesome bit of kit.
Are you sure you have the setting right, Ive been to the soutwerst and the midlands with 350, no probs Italy, France and Spain.
Belgium, Holland and France last week, Never put a foot wrong once. Have done over 10k with it and I'm well impressed.
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked your road type preferences?

Si.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: PREFERENCES Reply with quote

Hi

Further to my first post, I have turned 'Avoidances' OFF. The route now calculates using the M62. I suppose after having used TomTom since Navigator 1, I must get used to another philosophy.
I must admit I do like the dashboard mounting bracket supplied with the Nuvi, up to now I have been using a Brodit mount.

Thanks for your comments
David

Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the "turn right" instruction when the map shows a left turn a couple of times on my i3 too.

Cant explain it but it must be the voice instructions that are wrong...
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David. Are you using the bluetooth as on another thread here somebody wants a report on it before they head for a nuvi 360.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth on Novi310 Reply with quote

Hi Cantlegost (did I get it right?)

I have used the Bluetooth interface a number of times with my Mobile Phone and it has worked beautifully every time. I have even used Voice Dialing.

David

seacon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
David. Are you using the bluetooth as on another thread here somebody wants a report on it before they head for a nuvi 360.

I have a nuvi 310. Great piece of kit. Bluetooth with mobile phone in the car is excellent. Large screen on nuvi displays incoming caller name etc(if number is stored on your phone memory)
I was concerned prior to buying the 310 whether the blutooth would be effective with the phone and didn't really want to spend £55 more than a nuvi 300. Glad I went ahead with it as it's so good.
Nuvi 310 has come down in price. Bought mine for £315.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seacon wrote:
I have a nuvi 310. Great piece of kit. Bluetooth with mobile phone in the car is excellent.

That's good to hear. I doubt it could be any worse than the handsfree performance of the TT x10 range.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used TomTom for so many years I'm also finding it difficult to transition to another product. If like me, you are always comparing it with what you know, which may not be the best.

I've purchase a i3 to allow me to transition to the 350 and ensure the Garmin is for me, my initial finds are neither good or bad. If I purchase a 350 my wife gets an i3 as an early birthday present

I do sense there's a number of people looking for alternative products now. TomTom seem to have lost the plot a little, big expensive units with poor displays & difficult mounts are not what people are looking for now.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends in Technology side but not satnav insiders rates Garmin as a more Pro Product for longevity.
Brothers still has really years old boating Garmin gear that works fine despite getting knocked around and left in damp boat lockers etc,I'm told US and many military operatives here in the uk only stake their lives on Garmin gear.
In car stuff is a little different I know but has that pedigree, with satnav theft problems and constant travelling small neat and pocketable is the way to go in my book.
How many features do people really use, after years on the road I tend to switch my phone off in car these days as it is safer despite have a smart speech dialing etc hands free system.
So is bluetooth that important.
My laptop will sing and dance etc, but I still use the same stuff as I did 5 years ago so 1/2 the features are wasted.
Zoom features are baffling to me, I rarely look at the thing so thy are no problem to me, the little lady sat on the satelite Laughing tells me via the nuvi where to go. Surely there is enough traffic on the road to hold people attention and screen detail should be minimal.
The Garmin seems to me to give well time good warning of when and where to turn and that's what counts in UK and Conttinental heavy traffic for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: