Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about antennaes / heat reflective windscreens
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about antennaes / heat reflective windscreens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawnj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Question about antennaes / heat reflective windscreens Reply with quote

I have a Navman 510, and am getting a Citroen Xsara Picasso at the weekend. I understand that as the picasso has a heat-relective windscreen, I will need an external antennae ?

I have no idea where to get one, and how easy/difficult they are to install. Can anyone help ? Will I need one ?

Thanks

Dawn
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy one from the Navman Store. It depends on where in the vehicle you position your device; if it's on the windscreen then the external antenna will help enormously but if you use the front quarterlight then you might get away without one.

They are easy to fit, and easy to remove, too.
Commsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Picasso screens and GPS reception Reply with quote

I have a Pic and yes - if you place the receiver anywhere near the centre of the screen - hardly any reception. I have however, been using GPS devices perfectly happily without additional antennae - you simply have to place them next to the side window - which is a perfect place for these devices on the Pic in any case.
I currently have a receiver on a bendy stalk type holder. The suction pad is on the side window, the stalk is bent 90 degrees so the device faces the driver. Perfect reception with a lock in seconds when warm and quick even from stone cold.
If you were desperate to place the device nearer the centre of the car, then you will need an external antenna - and place this on the inside of the screen just behind the mirror where there is a patch of glass free from shielding metallic film (it is designed this way for the built-in GPS available on Pics sold overseas but not as far as I know in the UK - at least not available when I bought my Pic 3 years ago!!)
So in answer to your question - don't worry -it will be fine - just give it a go!
Cheers
Commsman
dawnj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Will certainly try putting the unit on the side window. Hope the power cable will reach across ! The vehicle seems huge compared with my little C3 !

X
Dawn
Commsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawnj wrote:
Hope the power cable will reach across

Yes - well, it is true that the power cable is mightily stretched in the side window position, but a lot of my journeys are less than 2-3 hours so a fully charged unit is fine. For longer journeys than that, Istrongly recommend an extension lead.
You could do worse than buying one on eBay for £7 or so - see here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-in-1-Car-Power-Extension-Lighter-4-Tomtom-GPS-Ipod_W0QQitemZ8799352192QQcategoryZ48674QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(I have no relationship with the company selling this, it just looks like it would do the job.
Cheers
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
am getting a Citroen Xsara Picasso at the weekend. I understand that as the picasso has a heat-relective windscreen

Yes it probably will work if close to the side window but if you drive with the window open it would be easy for some 'scrote' to make a quick grab and have it away.

Before spending money on an external aerail, try what I do with my Xsara Estate. Stand outside the car to get a lock first, then set up in the middle of the dash below the rear view mirror, when there is a 'dotted' uncoated section which allows the signal through.

Once you have a lock the reduced signal, caused by the screen, is no longer an issue. Even after emerging from a tunnel it locks on again within a few seconds.
roseyp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it probably will work if close to the side window but if you drive with the window open it would be easy for some 'scrote' to make a quick grab and have it away.

Before spending money on an external aerail, try what I do with my Xsara Estate. Stand outside the car to get a lock first, then set up in the middle of the dash below the rear view mirror, when there is a 'dotted' uncoated section which allows the signal through.

Once you have a lock the reduced signal, caused by the screen, is no longer an issue. Even after emerging from a tunnel it locks on again within a few seconds.[/quote]

The Mio 168 that you are using is the same as mine. These units have the new SiRF as used in the new tomtom one, 510, 710etc. These have a more sensitive receiver allowing weak signal to be locked onto i.e. behind a heat reflective glass.
I also have a picasso, so can verify this.
Try this link to a thread in the picasso site where you can see it working
http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?showtopic=9881&st=30

Roseyp
Commsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Scrotes are always a problem Reply with quote

Mine has the SirfIII chipset as well and so yes - the GPS lock is great and it would probably work fine if mounted near the mirror, but then the power lead has to either have an even longer routing all round the windscreen or dangles irritatingly.
As far as Scrotes are concerned, I have aircon and rarely open my side windows. If driving in built up areas, I hit the security button on the dash to lock the doors.
If I really feel like a bit of open air I open my sunroof!
Damnation - that we have to consider the Scrote factor in this modern world!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fine if mounted near the mirror
Down by the dash is still OK, no need to have it up high. Smile
Commsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Dash on a Picasso Reply with quote

Quote:
Down by the dash is still OK, no need to have it up high. Smile

I think you said you have a Xsara - but remember on a Picasso there is a central console for the speedo etc. You would have to mount it a mile away on the lower part of the windscreen (unless you had a vent mount). This again makes the side screen mount position attractive for me. On the Pic, there is a largish front quarter-light screen and the sucker goes on this nicely and the unit is then in sight without taking up any of the visual area needed to see the road etc. and it is near enough that you don't have to kill yourself reaching for it (which would certainly be the case if you mounted it on the screen lower down nearer the centre).
dawnj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank all those that responded to my questions. I took the kids away for the weekend in the new Picasso, and the Navman (we call him "Fred") worked brilliantly safely installed on the drivers front quarter-light window. The power lead stretches across the steering column and over to Fred with just the right amount of cable, no bits left dangling around to get in the way. Fred only lost his GPS signal when we went through tunnels, and led to our destinations very well. I just need to learn to trust him, as sometimes he sends me down little country lanes rather than sticking to the main roads, but I suppose I need to tweak his settings a little to get him to stick on the main roads !

Thanks again you guys
XX
Dawn

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: