Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unhappy with 910 ----am i the only one???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unhappy with 910 ----am i the only one???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subseauk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Unhappy with 910 ----am i the only one??? Reply with quote

Hi all, just received my new 910 from maplins later than promised!! Started setting it all up and could not get a lot of the stated features to work such as planning on the pc etc.
Now having trawled through the forums etc it seems that all the missing features are down to me using a brand new Mac laptop!!! No mention is made anywhere on the packaging or adverts etc that the 910 must be used inconjunction with a PC not a MAC especially when the TomTom Home program has been designed to run on a MAC.
I will be sending in a complaint to TomTom and possible considering returning the unit as it does not do what it states.

Any one else out there unhappy with their £460 brick????? Evil or Very Mad
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no mines exelent
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Unhappy with 910 ----am i the only one??? Reply with quote

subseauk wrote:
Hi all, just received my new 910 from maplins later than promised!! Started setting it all up and could not get a lot of the stated features to work such as planning on the pc etc.
Now having trawled through the forums etc it seems that all the missing features are down to me using a brand new Mac laptop!!! No mention is made anywhere on the packaging or adverts etc that the 910 must be used inconjunction with a PC not a MAC especially when the TomTom Home program has been designed to run on a MAC.
I will be sending in a complaint to TomTom and possible considering returning the unit as it does not do what it states.

I use Macs too, but I don't recall seeing much about Mac compatibility from TomTom - just a brief mention somewhere that the home dock can be connected to a PC or a Mac. I'm pretty sure that the 510 box doesn't have the 'designed for OS X' logo that would normally be present (don't have the box here with me to check).

And the Home software is Mac compatible, but does not have the planning screen present on the PC version. I don't believe this could be defined as incompatibility, just reduced functionality.

The general view (as far as I've read here) is that whether you are using a PC or a Mac, the Home software is far from being what it should be. I think it's one of the worst applications I've ever come across, and see very little point in using it except perhaps to automate the backup process.

The interface looks like it has been designed by primary school children, and the functionality isn't exactly leading edge. But of course if you had a particular need to use the Home planning screen then this may be more of an issue for you.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your not, but my 910 was returned after just severn days due to the new routing they have implemented.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recd mine from Maplin on Monday 9th May. Advertised availability, on the web site, was 14th. So tick VG, Maplin!

SW installed with no issues, it is rubbish though, but no problems using it , just less than I expected.

The 910, does what it says on the wrapper, docks, syncs, works. BUT again the fly in the ointment is the damn mount! I've had no real problem so far, but early days and I can see where it will fall over. It's too light weight, prone to vibration and not that easy to remove and replace quickly. With the weight of the 910 I expect to get "mount droop" soon! Bring on a permanent Brodit solution!

Other dissapointment, but not life threatening, is the lack of availability of the Traffic receiver.

So close to being excellent, but now just good!

TTFN
SatMap
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please No!
This was the only forum of the four that I frequent, that didn't have a never-ending Mac vs. PC argument running. Evil or Very Mad
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's obviously a politician and follow his signature
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Please No!
This was the only forum of the four that I frequent, that didn't have a never-ending Mac vs. PC argument running. Evil or Very Mad

We'll resolve that one just as soon as we've established the best religeon.

And if you think the Mac vs PC debates are bad you should try following the children arguing about their Playstations, Nintendos and XBoxs (although thankfully, not here).
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to order one in a week or so........

Is the software really so bad It's worth sticking with my 700 for now?

Chris
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the PC SW TomTom Home is nothing more than a selling tool linking you to TomTom.

It does show an image of the x10 kit on the screen but you dont get an expanded map view.

910 I have is fine, other than 1 reset that I had to do it works for me!

TTFN
SatMap
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see someone liked my signature on the "MyTomTom GO" forum enough to copy it !! :D

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Maybe I should start using it here as well. Laughing

Steve
yellowdog22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: i am unhappy Reply with quote

I too am a Mac user who has bought a tomtom 910 only to find out that out version doesn't have the full functionality of the pc version. To be honest i think the software is a pile of dog poo. Obviously the first thing is the planning not being available, next the tomtom home app which is badly written and wuite ugly crashes whenever it tries to read my itunes library of iphoto library so i've had to copy them manually. I do think the mount is badly done and it took ages for the gps fix to lock in. Pluspoint is the bluetooth phone support which seems to work well. All in all for my first sat nav purchase i'm not too pleased. €700!!! At least dick whittington had the decency to wear a mask! Oh yeah i tried it on a pc but i couldnt plan either becuase allthough the rest of the program sees the tomtom the planning window constantly asked me to switch on the 910. Lastly, egg shell packaging for a €700 product, do me a favour tomtom and check out proper packaging like apple use. SOme figures for you. In 2005 tomtom had revenue of 720 million euros with a 143 net profit. I think they could have spent a bit more on mac developement and liitle more on packaging!
yellowdog22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: no Reply with quote

i mean when you open the box on a premium product u expect to find it all intact and well packaged not broken up because they used cheap and nasty egg shell
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: i am unhappy Reply with quote

yellowdog22 wrote:
At least dick whittington had the decency to wear a mask!

Did you mean Dick Turpin? :D
yellowdog22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: yeah! Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: