Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom-Tom Go 910 Mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom-Tom Go 910 Mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Tom-Tom Go 910 Mount Reply with quote

Hi

I have just spoken to Tom-Tom customer service dept; they are saying they are not aware of any issues with the mount for the new Tom-Tom G0 910. But reading this forum and a few others there obviously seems to be a problem with the mount drooping & the connections failing.

Can anyone shed any light if Tom-Tom are aware of mount issue for the 910?

I was going to buy it this weekend, but I am reluctant to purchase it now...there are several issues that need resolving first.

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Nazim

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I dont think its the mount that causes the Power connection failure, I have tried 1 unit on 3 mounts, and that one unit has problems with all the mounts (The other 2 units worked with a ll 3 mounts)

So more likely the connectors on the GO

Here is a link to the details

http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5961
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with Flashyphotos that it is the unit that’s at fault not the mount. Mine was faulty from day 1. After reading another forum post, I removed the little rubber plug from the back of the unit and it is better although if I lift the unit up a little the connection breaks.

Looking at my unit in great detail I have come up with two thoughts on the mount.

1. The two little retainer lugs on the unit that engage into the mount look like they could easily become strained if you try to remove the unit from the mount without fully depressing the release button. This would then result in the two parts not holding tightly together.

2. Perhaps the spring loaded connecters on the unit should have been given more travel so that they make connection long before the two parts are fully engaged. This would then allow the two parts more movement before breaking the connection.

Another problem I have found is that the unit vibrates quite a lot when driving, which I find annoying. I have got used to properly fitted car kits and really don’t like things that shake about and have untidy wires hanging out.

Overall I think the unit is a good effort at an all in one sat-nav system, but the mounting system is of particularly poor design.

I have been a TomTom user for many years on the PDA and smartphone and find the software suits my requirements, but this is my first all in one. My main reason for getting the 910 is that I travel to the US and a few other European countries frequently and I thought it would be ideal having all the US and Europe maps. Perhaps I should have just stuck with my smartphone and bluetooth GPS and the frequent changing of SD cards.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tom-Tom Go 910 Mount Reply with quote

nazimyounis wrote:
Hi

I have just spoken to Tom-Tom customer service dept; they are saying they are not aware of any issues with the mount for the new Tom-Tom G0 910. But reading this forum and a few others there obviously seems to be a problem with the mount drooping & the connections failing.

Can anyone shed any light if Tom-Tom are aware of mount issue for the 910?

Claiming surprise at hearing of a problem is standard practise for any manufacturer, until there is a policy to acknowledge it. That only happens with agreement from the top, because of the financial implications of recalling and modifying or replacing faulty items.

There is no doubt in my mind that the mount is a poor design, although I have found that it doesn't seem quite as bad after you have used it for a while. There is no firm click, or any sense of confidence that the unit is securely mounted. It is rather awkward to adjust the position by rotating the locking mechanism with the unit mounted. I have to use two hands to mount mine, and then wiggle it to see if it comes loose.

I suspect they will redesign the mount at some point, but whether they will replace existing units is another matter.
emptage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mount problem only occure with the 910. I wa thinking of buying a 510. Do they use the same mount
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emptage wrote:
Does this mount problem only occure with the 910. I wa thinking of buying a 510. Do they use the same mount

Yes, the mount is identical. I have the 510.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See This:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40427
mbeckman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: TT US support definitely knows about mount power problem Reply with quote

I spoke with TT US support today and one of their people let slip that they do, in fact, know about the power reset problem with the mount. This person says the mount has been redesigned and will be shipping eventually, but woulnd't predict when.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the greatest mount I found travelling in my car (Ford Galaxy) no problems with the mount no vibrating or anything but after a week I tried it in a freinds car (Toyota Previa) and after travelling for about 2 minutes It started vibrating and decided to tilt down really not good I had to keep hold of it myself for the rest of the jorney. When I got home put it back in my car no problems didn't vibrate stayed in position. Maybe TomTom tested it in a simalar car to mine and found no problems with the mount but really they should sort it out.
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that last post. When I moved it into my husbands car it drooped far more than when I got it back in mine. So I think the type of windscreen may have a bearing.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a Nissan Murano, with a pretty heavily bent windscreen. The (flat) x10 mount struggles mightily to even stay attached. If you look at it from the outside you see clearly that instead of a nice circular attach area all it has are two small areas to the left and the right.

As soon as a little sun hits (which does happen occasionally here) the mount calls it quits and drops onto the dash.

So it probably depends on the geometry and curvature of your car's windscreen. Should be ok in flat areas, but is very critical in bent areas.

Herbert Richter mounts have long catered for this by providing different sizes of the plastic support disc behind the silicon. I simply can't understand why TomTom dropped HR and chose someone else for the new mount.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mount was fine for a few weeks but then started to droop. When I removed it from the windscreen, the suction cup came adrift and stayed stuck to the windscreen.

Tom Tom are sending me a new mount but I can't be without until the new mount arrives.

I'm using a 4" rectangular 'chammy' windscreen cleaner sponge thingy and have 'jammed' the mount between the windscreen and the dash (with the chammy underneath). The chammy holds it very secure and stops the drooping (the unit sits about 1/4" off the dash).

Have to say, I'm really pleased with the position - it's too far away to touch the screen but with the 910 remote, I don't need too (I have the remote on the ceiling, by the electric sunroof switch). The remote is easier to use, when moving, than trying to reach for the screen.

The only screen you CAN'T access with the remote is the sat screen - which is a bit annoying but liveable!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: